MAG Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
You too!!
We are traveling out of state for the first time. I asked DS if he was nervous because he knows it's a huge venue, and he sorta gave me that 'dumb' look and said that he still did the same routines no matter how big the place was, it was me who would notice the difference and maybe the seats would be comfortable. :)

I am excited to see a big meet. I have no idea what to expect--I think there were 60 teams with level 5 boys divided into two sessions! I am glad he will get to see so many boys involved with gymnastics as we have a small team.

D loves those meets! He loves meeting people from everywhere and getting to "strut his stuff" for new judges. In our state, we know them all by first name, so it is always fun to get new perspectives and meet new people :) Have fuN!

Good luck to everyone! We are off to a big meet too. The top gyms from the region will be there, so we should get to see some amazing gymnastics. I'm hoping that DS will bring his just-returned front uprise with him.

DD has a meet tomorrow that's also pretty big. We are just hoping to get through this one -- she was connecting her jump to the high bar with her kip cast handstand pretty consistently about a week ago, and now it's gone, sigh. But she has some other goals she's hoping to achieve!

My son is at a huge meet this weekend. We are hoping he can do good routines like he did at the small meet he had last weekend. He drove up with another team member, so I miss him. We will drive up on the day he competes to watch.

Good luck to everyone!

My son did well at his meet this weekend. Placed in all events, and it looks like they went to 25 percent. He had fun so that is the most important thing!

I thought my son did well, 10th AA out of 52 in his age group and placed in 4 other events, but he was upset after the meet because he didn't do as well as he thought he could have and it was his birthday. :-( He messed up on vault and did the wrong vault. His coach says he has the "twisties" and twists when he doesn't mean to and that is what happened on vault.

DS had a tougher outing this time. They did h bar first and he made his kip twice in warmups but missed it in competition. It's a new and inconsistent skill for him, but his coach told me afterward that he was "pissed" that he didn't make it. Floor was pretty good for him, about where it was last time. He then had an uncharacteristic fall on mushroom on his spindle, which did NOT improve his mood. Rings went OK -- his muscle up is getting a lot smoother, though the back lever hold is not there yet. His vault scored way better than last time, though I think it was a worse vault. His big event of the day was p bars. No front uprise, but he did get the handstand hold this time. I thought he would be really happy after that, but he was super bummed about the kip, the spindle fall, and the front uprise. He was also ticked off that his team finished very low in the rankings, even though he knows it is a big meet. I reminded him that the level 8s came within one and half points of winning their session and encouraged him to keep his eyes on the (long term) prize. He did an awful lot of things right. I wish he'd be a little less hard on himself, but hopefully that will come with time.

DD had a very tough meet but bounced right out all smiles because she made her giant and she finished out with a very strong beam routine. It's funny because she's usually the one who gets upset when things don't go well by her standards, but I think she had a big, big mental breakthrough. She had gotten herself so anxious and psyched out about bars that she was convinced she was going to have a completely disastrous routine. And it started out that way -- she jumped from the springboard, hit the low bar with her hands, and dropped off (timing was just off). But then she squared her shoulders, got back on the springboard, jumped again, and got through the routine. Even though it wasn't a good routine, she proved to herself that she can do a routine, no matter what. And that was huge for her. (Wow, did their team have an ugly bars rotation . . . and then they finished up with more than 70% of them falling on beam!)

Thank goodness there's now a weekend off!

[Edited to add I will share video if anyone wants to see.]

The scores are on the website of the meet we went to this weekend. I suspected this, but not only did they break ties and not really say anything about it(the medal ceremonies went lightning fast, which was nice, but at what expense?) but when they ended at five, six or ten places, whatever they chose based on the number in that age group, they still just broke the ties with the kids all around score. For instance if they went ten places and the person listed as eleventh was tied with the one listed as tenth, the eleventh place didn't get acknowledged, or a medal. Doesn't seem really fair to me. I know, I know.....Aly Raisman didn't get an all around medal either, life isn't fair.... My little man is contemplating giving his participant medal to someone who didn't get one because of this situation. He has a big heart and loves his teammates.

Good Luck Boys!!!
good luck.jpg

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back