Parents Good News / Bad News

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I typed out a long post but when I hit submit it said I wasn't logged in, then deleted everything I wrote! Boo!! lol.

Well here's a shortened version:

Pixie picked up her L5 skills this summer but they are keeping her in L4.

They are afraid that she will not do well and get frustrated if she doesn't get medals and ribbons. She placed 2nd at state last year as a L4 and she trained L5 all summer.

She still has a hard time with vault. They feel another year of L4 will allow her to grow and add some weight to her 40 lb frame and help her on the vault. She got all her other skills except jumping to the high bar which they did not allow her to do until she gets her grips which won't be until she is offically moved to level 5.

I was concerned with what they would do with her during practices so I went once the new season started and she was left to do things on her own with no guidence. I understand that they are trying to get all the new L4s up to speed but she was left on her own and I admit I got hot! :(

We had a meeting with her coach and the head coach of the gym and they explained that Pixie could compete L5 this year but she would get frustrated and sad when she doesn't win like she's used to. So they are going to continue to train her on L5 this season but she would compete L4. She explained that they have high hopes for Pixie and don't want to see her get frustrated and quit.

(I have to say here that I don't know if I buy that 100%. Besides they can't protect her the whole time she does gymnastics. winning and losing is part of this sport and she should learn how to handle both well)

Now they move her between the two groups. One night she'll be with L4s and another night she'll be with L5s and so on.

Pixie was crushed that she didn't get to move up with her friends but I've been painting roses for her trying to get her to see that this is going to be a fun year! It took a bit of convincing but I think she's okay with it now. But now she thinks since she got 2nd at State last year that she'll get 1st this year. haha! I thought that was cute. I told her that it's not guaranteed and that she'd still have to work hard for it if she wantedto get 1st.

Her first meet is in 4 weeks so here's to a fun and safe season for everyone!

~hugs~

Last edited:
Wow, I am actually speechless about this one.

Okay now I've got my brain in gear. Pixie is incredibly talented and can go far in gym no matter whether she does L4 or L5 this year. She is ridiculously young and talented. She of course will do great at L4, and hopefully now the gym is aware that you are on top of things they will make sure that Pixie is suitably challenged.

Best of luck for the season, I am sure she'll love competing with confidence this year.

I love her thoughts on States though!

Last edited:
(((Hugs))) to you!!! I know how stressful the whole move up or not thing can be! There are always pros/cons to each line of thinking. Doing L4 will give Pixie a chance to be a leader & develop that part of her too. The other girls will look up to her & she can shine. There is much more to this sport than just learning skills & routines. Gymnastics really does build a strong AA person. As my DD is getting older(14yrs & in highschool), I'm seeing her gymnastics "training" coming through in all areas of her life...and it's all good!!! Even what I thought was "bad" at the time, it all became a part of her. She has used it to grow into a beautiful & strong young lady & so will Pixie:D!

so, if she's training level 5 a few times a week - are they going to give her grips? We learned this summer that there is a learning curve with grips - MHO - the sooner she has them the better - especially if they don't let her jump tot he high without them.

Great job painting it rosey :p I bet she'll have a GREAT season. Any chance of her moving up mid-season?

Wow, I am actually speechless about this one.

Okay now I've got my brain in gear. Pixie is incredibly talented and can go far in gym no matter whether she does L4 or L5 this year. She is ridiculously young and talented. She of course will do great at L4, and hopefully now the gym is aware that you are on top of things they will make sure that Pixie is suitably challenged.

Best of luck for the season, I am sure she'll love competing with confidence this year.

I love her thoughts on States though!

Thank you, Bog. I think that was my biggest concern is that she stayed challenged and this not become a stagnant season. As a mom who pays monthly tuition I am happy that they will contiue to train L5 with her.

I guess in an 8 YOs mind it only makes sense that last year was 2nd place so that means 1st place this year, lol! :D

(((Hugs))) to you!!! I know how stressful the whole move up or not thing can be! There are always pros/cons to each line of thinking. Doing L4 will give Pixie a chance to be a leader & develop that part of her too. The other girls will look up to her & she can shine. There is much more to this sport than just learning skills & routines. Gymnastics really does build a strong AA person. As my DD is getting older(14yrs & in highschool), I'm seeing her gymnastics "training" coming through in all areas of her life...and it's all good!!! Even what I thought was "bad" at the time, it all became a part of her. She has used it to grow into a beautiful & strong young lady & so will Pixie:D!
I like that way of thinking and I hadn't really even seen it that way. Thanks for that tidbit. I will difinitely use it!

I also see the two sides, the pros and the cons. I keep trying to accentuate the pros so that Pixie has a wonderful year!

so, if she's training level 5 a few times a week - are they going to give her grips? We learned this summer that there is a learning curve with grips - MHO - the sooner she has them the better - especially if they don't let her jump tot he high without them.

Great job painting it rosey :p I bet she'll have a GREAT season. Any chance of her moving up mid-season?

Thank you! :D

I asked about the grips and was told they didn't think they could find any that would fit her. From what I've readthey do make petite sizes but I didn't argue. I think they just like to give it to the girls when they move up to L5 sort of like a right of passage.

They didn't act like there was a chance she could move up mid-season. They kept saying that with the L5 training mixed in that she would really be ready for L5 next season.

Though, I did ask if she could train L5 and not compete or compete but not on vault and they just kind of glossed over my question.

So, I really believe their plan is for her to compete L4 all season.

My DD is doing a "second" year of L4 this year as well...probably didn't score as high as pixie did last year...and is also 8 y.o.

I have been amazed to watch her continue to work those L4 routines alllllllll summer long and not get bored with it. Our gym throws in just a little bit of uptraining and she almost has her kip, has cartwheel on beam and RO BHS BHS. I think that is enough to keep her interested...plus she is always fixing little details of the routines and she honestly looks better each time I see her. So...I think for pixie and my DD...this season will be a great one...a self-confidence booster...hopefully some bling...and a good prep to enter L5 full force and in a GREAT place next season.

I know there's a little disappointment...one of DD's friends just barely missed competing L5 and she and her family were really disappointed. But, she likely wouldn't have done that great as a L5 and will ROCK L4. I know Pixie will too.

Can't wait to see first meet results!!!:D

My DD is doing a "second" year of L4 this year as well...probably didn't score as high as pixie did last year...and is also 8 y.o.

I have been amazed to watch her continue to work those L4 routines alllllllll summer long and not get bored with it. Our gym throws in just a little bit of uptraining and she almost has her kip, has cartwheel on beam and RO BHS BHS. I think that is enough to keep her interested...plus she is always fixing little details of the routines and she honestly looks better each time I see her. So...I think for pixie and my DD...this season will be a great one...a self-confidence booster...hopefully some bling...and a good prep to enter L5 full force and in a GREAT place next season.

I know there's a little disappointment...one of DD's friends just barely missed competing L5 and she and her family were really disappointed. But, she likely wouldn't have done that great as a L5 and will ROCK L4. I know Pixie will too.

Can't wait to see first meet results!!!:D

I like your attitude! I'm trying to keep a postive outlook on this season, too. It will make the season more enjoyable if I do. Especially for Pixie and really that is who this is all about so as long as she's happy I can tolerate another year of L4 floor music, lol! j/k!!

Thanks for the giggles!! :D

Well it sounds like your gym has a good plan for Pixie and she will be uptraining the L5 skills all year so that is good. A second year of Level 4 will also set her up to have a fantastic L5 season. One of my dd's teammates repeated L4 last year as an 8yo and trained L5 all season long. Now she is going to rock at L5. I'm sure Pixie will do the same.

My only concern would be that they aren't letting her jump to the highbar. It seems like they could let her try that skill without grips so that she can get her long hang kip and get over any fear of jumping. It took my dd a good period of time to get comfortable with the jump, especially with the bars set wide.

I know that gyms are of two minds about grips for small hands. Some seem fine putting the littles in grips and they certainly do make them small enough. They go down to 000 in a couple of brands. Other gyms and coaches, ours included, say no grips for small hands until they start L7 skills (i.e., giants). As a result, my 7yo dd (almost 8) will be starting and probably competing L6 without grips. There is an adjustment period for sure, but she could learn L5 bars without and then go into grips once competition season is over.

Anyway, good luck to Pixie this season. Too funny that she assumes she will be first. I would not bet against her!!

Meg

My only concern would be that they aren't letting her jump to the highbar. It seems like they could let her try that skill without grips so that she can get her long hang kip and get over any fear of jumping. It took my dd a good period of time to get comfortable with the jump, especially with the bars set wide.

Ditto. that jump was quite a task for Jess.

I'm sure they have their reasons and she'll kick butt this year. i wouldn't bet against her either LOL!! Looking forward to seeing how well she does!

Congrats to her on getting those level 5 skills. My kiddo has all of hers except the FHS and it is not pretty, LOL.

I agree that as long as they uptrain, she will be fine doing L4 again. DD already started meet season and they are still uptraining on some days. Many times it is a reward for working hard on routine stuff.

As for grips and jumping to the high bar, at DD's gym, they get grips usually before they get moved to L5, after meet season is over. Once they are in grips, they are not allowed to do bars without them. That said, she does her jump to high bar and long hang kip without grips. They like them to have that pretty good and nice tap swings before they get grips and I think they wait to introduce them til after meet season is done.

I know Pixie will have an amazing L4 season and if they keep her challenged, she will be more than ready for L5 when she gets there.

Nice to get an update!

Congrats on being all set for level 5, she will rock both seasons!

I don't really understand the mindset of keeping a girl back to score better, but kudos to you for painting it rosy so your daughter can enjoy!

I'm not a big "keep girls back so they can score higher" especially since your DD took 2nd at State already last year. In any case, at least you know what they're thinking and there's a plan. Hopefully she'll have a great year this year and enjoy it.

Best of luck in the season! It sounds like Pixie will have a fabulous year. Congrats to you for choosing to see all the positives in the situation!

My daughter also repeated level 4 and now I am hoping it will make a big difference in level 5 since she trained with the 5's for a whole year. I think it will be good because hopefully next year she will have all her level 6 skills before she starts. I also can understand your concern since your daughter placed 2nd at states. My daughter did not even make it to states at her first year as a level 4 so I think they made the right choice for her. I hope things work out for your daughter.

She is going to do awesome as a level 4 this year:) She will get those level 5 skills stronger and then just blast away on level 5 next year. As much as I hated repeating level 4 with Emily, it was the best thing for her because she matured so much that second year as a level 4 and did awesome and then had a kick butt level 5 girls keeping at the top with even repeat level 5s:) Sometimes things are for the best when you repeat a year... It really is..

I too have a second year level 4 and she trains one or two days a week with the level 5's. I am surprised that with her scoring so high at states that they would hold her back for a second year. I know every gym has their own thought process. I am sure she will be a HUGE success this year and get all those level 5 skills soon. DD has been up training all summer and she did get her grips too. DD is a small one and there were no issues getting her grips. DD isn't allowed to use them for any level 4 practices but every time she is with the 5's it is a requirement. I look at it as a great thing she has all of her bar skills for 5 and can do them with her grips. It will make the transition to level 5 next year that much simplier.

I have watched many that were second years move up this year and they are really struggling with the next level skills so look to the positive your DD is going to be awesome as a second year and be that more ready for her level 5 season.

Good luck

wow I was suprised they are having her repeat L4 ,when she ended last season with mid 9's. Do not understand why they would have to have grips to job to high bar? But she is defintly a tiny little thing.She will be blowing the other girls away this season for sure!

Well it sounds like your gym has a good plan for Pixie and she will be uptraining the L5 skills all year so that is good. A second year of Level 4 will also set her up to have a fantastic L5 season. One of my dd's teammates repeated L4 last year as an 8yo and trained L5 all season long. Now she is going to rock at L5. I'm sure Pixie will do the same.

Thank you. I think the fact that they are going to continue training L5 with her is what makes this okay with her. The nights she trains L5 she is with all her friends from last season (3 girls) that were in L4 with her. So she still gets to be around them.

From what I understand it is gym policy that no gymnast jumps to the high bar without grips unless they are put up there by coaches. I wonder if there was an incident in the past that caused them to set this rule. They won't give her the grips until she moves past L4 becacuse they don't believe in moving back and forth between using grips and not using them. I'm sure that they will order her grips after States this season.

I know that gyms are of two minds about grips for small hands. Some seem fine putting the littles in grips and they certainly do make them small enough. They go down to 000 in a couple of brands. Other gyms and coaches, ours included, say no grips for small hands until they start L7 skills (i.e., giants). As a result, my 7yo dd (almost 8) will be starting and probably competing L6 without grips. There is an adjustment period for sure, but she could learn L5 bars without and then go into grips once competition season is over.

Anyway, good luck to Pixie this season. Too funny that she assumes she will be first. I would not bet against her!!

Thank you! I definitely will not bet against her, lol.

Meg

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back