Good Shoulder Braces?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A few days ago I found out that I have a subluxated shoulder that has been coming partially in and out of the socket while doing gymnastics for quite a long time.

My doctor told me that there are shoulder braces that can stop my shoulder from pulling in and out so I can return back to bars. However, he didn't really tell me what type of brace to get.

Does anyone have any experience with shoulder braces that work and can be worn at gymnastics?

Also, I've noticed that most shoulder braces have a strap that cuts diagonally across the chest, which I've got to point out is not cool for people of the female gender.

Thanks!

Go back to your DR and ask him/her what they recommend. And if gymnastics is what you want to do you may need to live with the strap going across the chest - cool or not.

uh....no. there is no such thing that really works for gymnasts. they don't work. you must continue PT for the rest of your career or have surgery to tighten those ligaments so that the shoulder STOPS subluxing.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news...but the good news is that it is usually a short recovery when you are a youngster. many gymnasts have had this procedure, and many in college for which was just a bump in the road.:)

GymBee97: I understand that a strap is necessary to hold the brace in place, but I just wish they at least made them a little wider :)

dunno: Surgery really isn't an option for me. I dont think that my parents can afford it. However, I should be able to do exercises at gym to strengthen my shoulder.

There is also the possibility of taping it. Im not sure how to do it, but a girl who use to be on my team had shoulder issues and they ran a few pieces of tape along the shoulder. I think that this would be in place of the shoulder strap, but tape can get expensive.

Dunno is right that if the ligament need to be tightened to stop this from happening then surgery is the way to go. You said your parents can't afford it - they don't have medical insurance? I know for my family this would be totally covered with the exception of the $100 co-pay.

Your parents should be part of the solution be it a brace, surgery, special tape etc.

I get my xray results back soon, so that should help me make some decisions.

My parents don't have insurance, but I think because of our financial situation if I needed surgery we could get it for a smaller cost.

I get my xray results back soon, so that should help me make some decisions.

My parents don't have insurance, but I think because of our financial situation if I needed surgery we could get it for a smaller cost.

I hope your parents are part of the decisions here you shouldn't be picking out any brace without them or the DR.

If your parents have full time jobs they should have some type of insurance. It they don't have insurance due to no jobs or no insurance from jobs then there are state programs to make sure every kid has health insurance in place. Your parents just have to sign you up. Every state has some program for the kids usually through some state agency. For California you can get it from Medi-Cal if you make too much for that then you can get the one in the first link below.

Welcome to the California Healthy Families Program

Children Now—Finding Health Insurance (this one has other options listed.)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back