Coaches Good summer camps to coach at?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi guys,

I am looking for good camps to coach at over the summer holidays in America. I am from Australia and have already been hired by a camp hiring agency but i now need to make a decision as to which camp i want to apply for. I have applied to IGC as i like the look of their coaching diploma program but if that falls through i need to think of other options.

Thanks for your help!!

Any of the Woodwrd camps will take overseas coaches, there are three in various cool places. Also Gymrep in Quebec, they have a multinational staff and coach certification programmes.

Thanks Bog. I hadn't realized woodward had more than one location but it was already second on my list :). Gymrep looks pretty cools but i can't speak french which could be a problem. Also is Quebec in America or Canada?

Quebec is in Canada. French is not an issue, the camp is very bilingual and there are coaches, counsellors and campers from all over the world.

You could look into some all-summer residential camps that are not solely gymnastics but offer gym programs. You likely would not be working with the experienced coaches they have at IGC, Woodward, and the like, but would still be coaching in the states and enjoying a camp experience with food/lodging provided as well as a pay check.
I know Bryn Mawr (Lake Bryn Mawr Camp) has a pretty good gym program, they even do a few "meet" type things with close by camps. I interviewed there a few summers ago and the gym director, at least at the time, seemed like a really good guy. I ultimately didn't get the job because I wasn't out-going enough, so I can't give you any more info than that. So keep in mind that these types of camps will be looking at more than your coaching credentials and experience, but also at your ability to be a good all-around camp counselor. Not sure if you can coach without serving in some type of counselor capacity.
There are lots of other similar camps if you look for them, I haven't been in the market for that type of work in the past few years so I've lost track of which ones had good gym programs and which were more recreationally based, so you need to do your research. Here is just a general page of links if you're interested in that type of thing: Overnight Gymnastic Summer Camps @ KidsCamps.com

You could also look into Flip Fest in Tennessee. They offer opportunities for people who just want to coach and not serve as a counselor. You coach during the day and have off time when the kids are at their activities and also in the evenings when the kids are in bed and under the care of the counselors. Lots of college and elite coaches come through so there are great opportunities to watch some exceptional coaches in action, similar to IGC/Woodward, but a slightly smaller scale camp.

I worked as a camp counselor this past summer (not at a gymnastics camp) and absolutely loved the experience, so I hope you find a great fit!

Wow Thanks for the reply Molly! Definitely seams like there are some great options there. luckily I just found out I was accepted by IGC! Needless to say I am pretty psyched. Oh and I think I will be working as a counselor too which I am actually pretty excited for. It seams like the whole experience will be a blast.
Thanks for the effort you put into your post. :)

My kids have loved going to IGC and they have adored their coaches and counsellors there. It is a beautiful camp in a beautiful area of the States. You can even get to NYC in a few hours drive.

The camp has wonderful gyms, amazing permanent coaching staff and even the food is good.

I am sure you will have a blast.

Congratz on IGC. I was going to apply if I can't a find here shortly in Norcal. 2nd choice being Woodward.

he meant if he can't find a camp job in northern California. northern California=Norcal. and great news for you at IGC. you'll love it there.:)

Ah thanks dunno. I thought I might have forgotten how to speak English.
I am very keen for it. It'll be my first time traveling outside of Australia too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back