WAG Good summer gymnastics camps for L8 and up?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
So a couple of us were wondering what camps are recommended by CB community......my son did IGC a few years ago and loved it.....
I have heard mixed things about Flip Fest.....but seems more of a fun camp experience for younger athletes.
Maybe more of a College camp, or good Elite gym camp like WOGA or something.....
The objective-
1. to actually learn some real skills and access some great technical coaches who specialize in upper optional.
2. from Texas east......
3. Sleep away

The University of Utah has a High Performance Camp aimed at optional level kids, I know they have brought in some pretty big name coaches in the past. But that would be a pretty big hike for you guys, and I don't think it's even a full week.
I think, in general, college camps are more gymnastics and less "extras."

I went to the OU gymnastics camp last summer and it was a lot of fun, but we also worked on getting new skills and prefecting old ones. Plus it is super nice to be able to practice in the same gym that the OU college gymnast use.

Maybe this is really limited to the boys' side, but I feel compelled to report that during my son's week at IGC, he got some outstanding coaching from Josh Dixon and Brandon Wynn. Both put significant time into working with the upper boys' groups and my guy picked up a few new skills and made progress on some things that had been giving him problems.

If your daughter would like to compete in college, the upper optional levels would be a great time to start exploring prospective colleges, even if she's still young. For me, if there are any in state schools that she might consider, I would start at one of those camps and branch out from there. Both of you will get to see the campus and she will have the chance to see how well she likes the coaches.

The Utah (Utes) camp is awesome. I coached it last summer and brought a few athletes who really liked it. Ditto with SUU . My athletes have also done ,UCLA, CAL, ASU, UW, Oregon and all got good reviews from them.

SUU has a spectacular gym and is in a fantastic location. About 2 hours from Vegas, so a bit of a hike form the airport- but tons of National Parks, hiking, and arts (they have a summer Shakespeare festival in a replica of the Globe theater) for the lucky parent who tags along to transport the kids from the airport to Cedar City!

The Utah (Utes) camp is awesome. I coached it last summer and brought a few athletes who really liked it. Ditto with SUU . My athletes have also done ,UCLA, CAL, ASU, UW, Oregon and all got good reviews from them.
Are any of these day camps, or are they all sleepover ones? Meaning, could a child go all day and then come back the next without staying over if they were locals?

Are any of these day camps, or are they all sleepover ones? Meaning, could a child go all day and then come back the next without staying over if they were locals?
I do believe that it is not a requirement to stay overnight. I know for sure that I saw kids at both the camps I worked getting picked up and dropped off. But honestly... What's the point of missing all the fun stuff they do after hours. Isn't that what camp is all about ?

Are you looking for something in driving distance?
I dont care about driving distance....i can fly.....I care more about the time zone.
I was looking at
NC
Georgia
Bama
Florida
LSU
kentucky
OU

Is there anything good in New England?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity