Parents great. states conflicts with standardized tests. Kudos to the school though

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2G1B

Proud Parent
I realized yesterday that the dates for our state competition conflict with our school systems' standardized testing. I have never taken any of my kids out of school for a competition; but this one is about 5 hours from us, so I had planned to either skip school on that Friday or take them out around 11:00.

I was at the school today for something else and saw the asst. principal. I decided to ask her if the testing takes all day. She told me that they should be done by 10:00 each day, so I could take the kids out after that OR that we could just miss the entire day and they would be able to do a makeup test the next week. I double checked that they would allow the makeup test for missing school for a competition and she said that it wouldn't be a problem at all. phew!

Now my fingers are just crossed that neither girl competes on Friday. I'd rather just take them out AFTER the testing is done! If they compete on friday though, we will probably do the driving Thursday night.

I hear ya-they put so much emphasis on those stupid state assessments (can you tell I work in the school system??!!) Don't worry about the testing-like the prinicpal said: it can be made up, and it might be better to just allow your child to do it on another day (instead of waiting until after testing that day to leave) because the stress of testing and competing at state at the same time might be stressful on your child. Yes, academics are very important, but gymnastics competitions give our kids something the schools cannot (in the same way): determination, dedication, among others. I would let her concentrate on state that weekend, and make up the tests later.....GOOD LUCK ON BOTH!!

When is your states? If it is a weeks or months away, maybe your gym can alert the host gym to this issue and they can avoid scheduling teams from that part of the state on Friday (depends how many levels are in this state meet, for example our state has one state meet each for 4 and 5 so this would be relatively possible to do). But in our state, I'm pretty sure the testing happens all at the same time and is generally about two weeks after all our state meets end anyway.

Last weekend of April, so maybe there would still be time. I think that every school system does the testing at slightly different times.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back