WAG Greeting judges?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Cartwheelmom

Proud Parent
Just curious on why you see some teams go up and greet the judges on each event. Does it help improve scores or anything? Our team doesn't greet them. At the meet this weekend I saw a few teams that did.

Yes, our team always accompanies our coach to greet the judges. The coach provides the order, and the judges usually briefly engage the girls with a question or two... "Are you feeling good today? Are you having fun?" or similar, to which the girls of course respond positively. Then the judges wish them luck, the girls salute, then go to the event.

I have sat at judges tables' and they seem to enjoy a little engagement from the girls. And perhaps interacting briefly with judges while they are smiling and speak kindly to them relieves some stress for the girls.

Most of the judges here are asking us not to do this anymore in order to minimize downtime in full compulsory sessions. Per R and P in the traditional format squads are supposed to present themselves to the judges, but in "continuous format" meets it is not necessary. Pretty much all meets nowadays are "continuous format" I.e. modified capital cup with warm up immediately preceding competition on that event.

I've seen my dd's team do it at pretty much every meet but usually only on the first event. I figured they were looking for things like nail polish, large earrings, stuff that they would deduct for.

^^^^^yes to what Sasha said! I've sat at the judges' tables before to help time or input scores (& highly recommend it to NGPs/ you can learn so much!!) and have seen the girls visibly relax once the judges say hi & good luck!

We always quickly see the judges. It is usually a:
Judge: How's everyone doing today?
Gymnasts: Good, how are you?
Judge: Good! Is everyone ready to do well on *insert event here*
Gymnasts: yes
Judge: well good luck! (and if on beam: Just try to stay on! if on floor: Smile!)

Always happens at our meets. It's really sweet sometimes to see the judges interact with the kids. At state last year I was close enough to hear the bar judges (my DD's last rotation) tell them all to be very proud of themselves for being there and getting through the meet and that they were proud of them. It's always nice to see the judges remembering they are still kids.

all the girls in an event rotation do this. They determine order on the event and say hi to the judges.

And Yeah that to sitting at the judges' table as a new gym parent. I did it last year and love listening in on the judges and seeing how the scoring works. Bars are particularly interesting.

Always happens at our meets. It's really sweet sometimes to see the judges interact with the kids. At state last year I was close enough to hear the bar judges (my DD's last rotation) tell them all to be very proud of themselves for being there and getting through the meet and that they were proud of them. It's always nice to see the judges remembering they are still kids.
Very cool. Um, apparently so cool it won't let me delete the second time I quoted it. Oops...

I've always taught the kids that it's proper etiquette to present to the judge. All teams used to do it, but as gymdog stated, with the switch to MCC it's a bit of a lost tradition at many meets/for many teams.

I just worked a girls' meet at our gym. I ended up asking what that was. They kept announcing that "it was time to rotate to your next event and present to the judges." I had never seen that before. Sheesh, boys' judges are usually chatting somewhere between events lol. It was kind of interesting. But I guess it is the norm around here.

In Australia or Victoria at least it is compulsory to great the judges. They give your order, tell you what type of warm up, ask if any apparatus height needs changing and wish you luck

This is what happens here as well. Ontario Canada and meets I've taken dd to in Quebec as well. At the end of each event the groups rotate to their next event, line up in front of judges for the order. Coaches are there as well and then judges usually give a little pep talk to have fun and do your best. (I just asked dd this, which is how i know what they say).

We also went to Sand Dollar in Florida and they did that there as well.

Edited to add: I just read above that someone says the coaches give the judges the order? Dd says the judges give the athletes the order.

This is what happens here as well. Ontario Canada and meets I've taken dd to in Quebec as well. At the end of each event the groups rotate to their next event, line up in front of judges for the order. Coaches are there as well and then judges usually give a little pep talk to have fun and do your best. (I just asked dd this, which is how i know what they say).

We also went to Sand Dollar in Florida and they did that there as well.

Edited to add: I just read above that someone says the coaches give the judges the order? Dd says the judges give the athletes the order.

Happens the same in Alberta and sask!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back