Grip choices

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cher062

Hi there everyone. I know there have been several threads on this.

But here is one more. My DD was given the OK to get the buckle grips from the coach back in March but I figured that her old grips still fit and would be fine for now. Ok now one growth spurt later and she had gone from a size 1 to a size 2. She is small but has very long piano fingers. According to the size charts a 6 5/8" length is a size 2. So I guess I need to get the grips now so she has the summer to break them in. DD was thinking the Nastia Champions or Nastia Russian Heritage style at Gymnastics Grips, Gymnastics Mats, Gymnastics Equipment, Gymnastics Apparel- DGS 9.9 - Gymsupply.com

There is a slight difference in the shape of the leather - one is straight and the other is slightly rounded at the part where the fingers go.

My question is Which brand of buckle grips with dowel do you think is the best at the optional levels and why?

And are the more straight leather to the fingers better than the ones that get a bit wider at the fingers and why?

that seems to be a personal preferance thing. Our gymmie prefers the straight leather so that not so much leather is covering the fingers. She hates the buckle grips! She can tolerate the single buckle better than the double buckle, but her preference is the velcro.
Also, when she was getting her very first pair of grips, her coach told us to always get 2 prs of grips so that she always has 2 pairs of grips broken in and ready to compete in. So see if your coach wants her to get 2 pr.

that seems to be a personal preferance thing. Our gymmie prefers the straight leather so that not so much leather is covering the fingers. She hates the buckle grips! She can tolerate the single buckle better than the double buckle, but her preference is the velcro.
Also, when she was getting her very first pair of grips, her coach told us to always get 2 prs of grips so that she always has 2 pairs of grips broken in and ready to compete in. So see if your coach wants her to get 2 pr.

DD has had the velcro ones since L5 and when they become Optional they get buckles if they have certain skills well DD got her giant (not pretty but got it) and now its time for buckles but the coach that was there when she got them before isn't the same one we have now. the old coach wanted a specific brand etc. This coach doesn't care on brand etc.

2pair of grips!! Ouch that is expensive!! We just have enough funds for the one pair for now - (hubbys pay was cut by 30K a year and I got laid off in April) She'll just have to use the old ones for now as a back up pair until more money comes in.

Thanks

I also prefer velcro. I use TenSport, but it wasn't in the poll options. You can get Tensport in the Ten.0. magazine. I really love them :)

The Nastia grips are made by US Glove. When I was ordering new grips for my dd I called and confirmed that they're the same. My dd just got the "big swinger" which are the same as the "hot shot" grip, which is what she was in before. She uses the buckle version, which she says stay more secure than velcro. She likes them. THey have the built in wrist pads.

ok after the indecision period we went with the nastia Russian heritage buckle grips. She has the velcro ones at L5 and L6 and they tended to loosen up on her and our gym only lets the optionals get the buckle ones. So its a big deal to get the buckle ones.

She got them today (only took 1 day to get them) and used them tonight at practice. She loved them. She said they were very comfortable and they didn't loosen up. We still have to get the wrist bands to go under them as her old ones are worn out and a little too short.

They are definitly a better quality then the old Ten-O velcro ones she had at the lower levels.

I have always had resisport grips although i went to the visa cup one year and we got those passes to let us in to the bottom area, and i got a pair of english bulldog grips. I loved them and wore them until they ripped. Then i couldn't find them again, so i'm back to resisport now.

Ive been wondering....you know the nastia grips, the black velcro ones are those rubber bands on the dowel really there? and if so what is it for?

Some people wear rubber bands on their grips going from the dowel to the velcro/buckle to keep them on, like Nastia does. Some people (me) wear them around the velcro to keep the velcro from coming loose, and some others wear them around the finger holes in the grips to keep the grips on their fingers. Does that answer your question? and i haven't seen the grips you are talking about...the nastia grips i saw were pink i believe but i am not sure.

I have always had resisport grips although i went to the visa cup one year and we got those passes to let us in to the bottom area, and i got a pair of english bulldog grips. I loved them and wore them until they ripped. Then i couldn't find them again, so i'm back to resisport now.

American-gymnast still offers english bulldog grips. That's where I order them from.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back