MAG Grip frustration

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

ZJsMom

Proud Parent
So DS has been using high bar grips from a new company and we're not having good luck. I think they lack quality control. The first pair he had, two of the tines for the buckles broke off in the first couple weeks. Now he just started using a new pair, and the leather of the strap snapped in the first couple weeks. He was able to salvage it by taking the strap from an old pair. Looking at them, the quality of the leather in the straps on the new pair, is visibly inferior to the old ones.

Given the track record, I'm ready for a change. I'm ordering a new pair right away because he usually keeps one backup and with the current grips, I'm not expecting a long life. He wants Hambuchen's, so that might be where we go, but I'm interested in other opinions.

What kind of grips does your DS use? I'm especially interested if you have an older guy doing releases. What kind of life do you get out of a pair? DS prefers a leather wrapped dowel and double buckle, though he may be interested in trying the buckle and velcro like the Hambuchen's.

D loves the Hambuchen's. He has 2 pair hb and 2 pr ring of them. I am not sure of the "shelf life" of them yet, since he just started swinging those now. I know his reisports were lasting about 7-8 months, so I am hoping these last a bit longer. D does have teh ones with the buckle and the velcro and really loves them.

another kiddo on our team loves the English Bulldog double buckle.

Both boys are doing releases.

Reisport Hyper Protecs for both rings and hi bar. Easily broken in, very comfy. Ours will likely last longer than yours though, as DS now cracks the 80 lb. mark on the scale on a very good day . . .

DS is 130# does Geingers now and wants to work Def and Tchatchev over the summer. I'm more interested in sturdiness than ease of break in. ;) He loves high bar, so on there as much as possible.

My son uses Turn for both high bar and rings. He loves them. He weighs about 115. His don't last very long but it depends on what he is working on. His high bar grips only last about 2 months - rings last longer.

New HB grips every two months is too frequent for me. o_O I was hoping to find something out there that lasts longer. At least 6 months. Maybe I'm going to have to accept that that they go through grips fast when they get older.

New HB grips every two months is too frequent for me. o_O I was hoping to find something out there that lasts longer. At least 6 months. Maybe I'm going to have to accept that that they go through grips fast when they get older.

The Hyper Protecs are supposed to last longer than the regular Reisports. DS is creeping up on a year for his and they are still in good shape, but he is still small and hasn't been doing releases very long. But yeah, my impression is that as they get bigger and are doing bigger skills, you just have to figure you're going to be buying grips more often.

NO clue on the lasting of the Hambuchens. Will have to see. D jsut started swinging with them a week ago. Hopefully we can get at least 6 months out of them. I will have to order in advance...they are always out of stock :(

Thanks Profmom.

The Reisport Protecs are expensive. I just looked at them. I like that the straps are sewn on. On his current ones, they're the kind that thread through. I feel like this puts more weight on the straps. Are the dowels leather wrapped? I can't tell from the picture.

Thanks Profmom.

The Reisport Protecs are expensive. I just looked at them. I like that the straps are sewn on. On his current ones, they're the kind that thread through. I feel like this puts more weight on the straps. Are the dowels leather wrapped? I can't tell from the picture.

I don't know. I'll ask my son.

Well, my DS is not yet in grips, but my DD really loves the US Glove RKO double buckles. While she is fairly light (~75lbs currently), she used them for a good 19 months before a failure, and even then, coach fixed them up (finger holes stretched/broke). She refused to switch to her new backups for another four months, when the leather was finally starting to crack a bit in other places. Her backup pair is the same brand.

Anyway, quality-wise, they seem solid, at least for a light girl. She does not work release skills yet, but giants and other circling skills, yes. They have a men's version, and when DS gets the ok for grips (soon?), it'll be the first kind we try (unless coach specifically requests a different brand).

Not sure whether this is helpful, but good luck regardless!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back