WAG Grips buckle vs Velcro

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD moved to buckles after L5 to get a more consistent "tight" cuff. And it eliminates the early constant velcro unvelcro habits as girls are chalking/practicing.

I have buckle grips right now but I used to have Velcro and they always slide around and constantly have to be readjusted. Also the Velcro got caught on my wrist bands so I prefer buckle as well.

My ds prefers a combo. He has grips that are buckle, and velcro. The buckle lets him keep it at one spot, and the velcro allows him to adjust it as needed.

My dd like Velcro -she is pretty new to using grips. My ds prefers double buckle.

I would like for my DD to use double buckle... but she prefers the velcro because she can get an exact right fit - with the buckles the holes may not be exactly where she needs them to feel "right"

I like the double buckles the best... velcro always snagged on things and the single buckles just didn't fit "right". The double buckle allows for more of a personalized fit, more so than single but less than velcro.

I think it's just personal preference. Most girls I know prefer the type of grip with which they started. My dd wouldn't even consider velcro because she started with buckle. But I know other girls who hate buckle because they started with velcro. Both types of grips have their pros and cons, and when you watch the top elites, you see both types. So whichever you choose, you're in good company.

Only double buckles at our gym. We are "late" in giving out grips, nobody gets grips until they swing a lot of giants and some not even then..!

We use velcro (because that is what the gym sells) and if a kid wants to use buckle I don't care. Bottom line is........ Whatever they like. In my opinion, no advantage either way.

My older dd is double buckle and my little one is a single buckle (I'm sure she will go to double when she's big enough)!

DS started with velcro and has switched to double buckle. He was constantly adjusting the velcro - mostly a habit I think but he says that the velcro didn't stay tight. DD has single buckle - no one at her gym has velcro grips.

My DD's gym doesn't care what kind of grips they have, but she started with double buckles and doesn't want to change. Took her awhile to get the hang of buckling, but doesn't seem to take her much longer than her teammates who wear velcros.

And thanks for the reminder to order a new backup pair for DD. :) She actually broke a grip at a competition mid-routine (while being scored) last fall, and I've been meaning to replace her backups.

Only double buckles at our gym. We are "late" in giving out grips, nobody gets grips until they swing a lot of giants and some not even then..!

Goodness, my DD would probably never have gotten grips! LOL. She swears up and down that they helped her swing bars more fluidly. :)

DS started with velcro and has switched to double buckle. He was constantly adjusting the velcro - mostly a habit I think but he says that the velcro didn't stay tight. DD has single buckle - no one at her gym has velcro grips.

The velcro slipping as it gets worn out is one of the reasons my daughter's gym recommend the buckle grips. I'm sure buckle grips have their own form of degradation over time so who knows?

My daughters bar coach hates grips. He says the kids spend too much time dealing with the grips. :).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back