MAG Grips question..again.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
I have read through, but wanted opinions. We are in the process of switching D to buckle grips. He ahs been in Reisport velcro all along. The new coach likes English Bulldogs. Thoughts on these?

Also, sizing. He is in 1s right now, but wears them lower on his wrist than his coach would like. WHen I measure him, I come to a 1, ,coach said 2. HIs hand from base to middle finger tip is just barely over 7" (can't even tell, but probably like between 7 and 7 1/4.

Hi Again!

Working on the FX routine right now - will PM you later. Grips!!! Buckles are better than velcro, assuming the gymnast can get them on in less than 5 min :) The grips should ride high on the wrist - snug on the thumb, and the hand should not be able to open all of the way! This is very important! The hand should not be able to open to 180 deg! My hand is 7.5 in (18.5cm) and I wear (wore) a size 2. Reisports have been the standard for 20 yrs, but I know that Reichels are hot right now. I've never used Bulldogs, so I can't really comment. FWIW 3 of my 10's are in #2's, the rest of the 10's and 9's are in #1's and most of the 8's are still in pixie grips. As a coach who has been under a grip-lock, it's something I take very seriously. It's better to stretch smaller grips than deal with the consequences of over-size grips. And yes, sometimes my kids complain - but too bad, i'd rather they be safe.

Reisports come in either brown or white leather. The white is more expensive and stiffer at first, but they're stronger and last longer (I think)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back