WAG Grips question (includes pictures)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AlexsGymmyMom

Proud Parent
My DD is VERY hesitant to get new grips but her old ones are coming apart where the palm part stitches to the wrist part.
My question is can you have them re-stitched at a shoe repair place? The rest of the leather still looks to be in great shape but every time I mention new grips she tells me she loves the ones she has and does not want to break in another pair.
I have included pictures of her grips.
She doesn't want to ask her coaches at the gym because she thinks they will make her get new ones so this is why I am asking here.

IMG_0688.JPG (2).jpgIMG_0685.JPG (2).jpgIMG_0684.JPG (2).jpg

No answer to your question, but having back up grips is always good. My daughter switched to Ginnasta USA grips and they break in really fast, like doing kips after a few swings. They have narrow width which are much like the width of Hot Shots and other grips for small hands. They are her favorite grips now. She has used velcro for the past 8 months, but recently got double buckles because she hates that velcro stops working. Of course if she didn't open and close them 20 times on bars...

Also, the customer service at Ginnasta is amazing. DD also loves their long wrist bands and the grip bag she got from them.

Thanks Mariposa! I have seen those advertised in the usa magazine and wondered about them. You know how stubborn these girls can be! It may just be the end of the world if she has to break in new grips!! lol!

Yes, they are stubborn. Mine is still using the velcro, isn't totally comfortable with double buckles yet. But I told her she either uses those when hers are officially done or she can use the brand her gym uses, which she doesn't like. Not buying another velcro since she wanted velcro, plus I am so tired of seeing her open and close them. LOL.

It looks like only the stitching material has failed. If the stitch eyes are not starting to tear you could take them to a shoe repair shop and have them glued and then stitched by hand using the original thread eyes. It worked for me when I was working high gforce skills on the still rings. I could have them restitched until the leather tore just above the stitching, and it will rip if there is even the slightest itty bitty tear starting in the leather....Leather has a bad attitude about sharing it's feelings, so it won't bother to warn you just before a full through and through rip happens.:eek:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back