Parents Growth during the time off?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

duyetanh

Proud Parent
Curious if your child has experienced growth during the time off. Puberty starting where it had not before, or puberty accelerated. Periods happening, bodies changing, boys voices changing, etc.
Mine surprisingly has not really grown much-yet. Between 1/4 to 1/2 inch. But her body is definitely changing.

I would say, definitely, yes for my 11 year-old. She has grown and puberty seems to have gone into overdrive. I suppose it could have happened without the break, BUT, it seems to be going very quickly.

My daughter has grown a little, maybe 1/4 of an inch and she started her period last month. But I'm not sure how much of it is due to the break. She is 12 and has been in puberty for a while and she definitely had many signs of starting her cycle for months before this. She also has been a steady grower and is close to 5'1 already (which is my height), so she isn't one of those girls that has always been very petite who suddenly grew during a break. I do feel like she is getting curvier and more mature looking and she is starting to outgrow some of her leotards, so I think her body shape is adjusting some which is to be expected.

I wrote a thread on this about a month ago. My son turns 15 next month, and has been away from gym since mid March. We live in a high infection state so I can’t see practice starting until early June at the earliest. He started his growth spurt around Dec, and has probably grown at least 4 inches. When he goes back to practice it will be with a different body. Have no idea if that will be an advantage or disadvantage. They do conditioning, but nothing excessive, and obviously skills can’t be practiced. Might be good to give some of the niggling injuries a chance to rest because they could be growth related.

My son grew an inch in the past two weeks and he's grown about two inches total since we have been out for a month and a half.

Yes! DD has already gone through puberty but her monthly cycle has changed. All sorts of fun things are going on with my DS (14) with growth, voice changes, acne, hair, etc. I do think this 'pause' from normal life has affected his development because he's eating better, getting more sleep but not exercising as much. He does growth hormone shots so his growth is likely related to that but the other pubertal changes have been almost shocking in just the last 8 weeks!

My new-ish 10-year old has grown 1 1/2 inches and gained 6 pounds since this break. She eats non-stop and her legs all of a sudden look like they belong on a 6-foot tall supermodel! She suddenly is struggling to get all three splits down and no longer needs a stool to reach the pull-up bar over the door o_O

I haven't noticed anything dramatic for my 13 year old. She started her period when she was 12 and on a fairly significant break for an injury/medical issue. I am not sure if it was related.

Nothing significant with either of my mine. Maybe 1/4 of an inch of growth since the last time I measured them which was in February. The only noticeable difference so far is that they are less lean than they were due to the drastic reduction in training. Their bodies are healing from chronic injuries though so that's a big big win.

YES! I was wondering if I was imagining things. She definitely grew, and now her monthly cycles have become regular (she's 14). We are about 2 months out of the gym, but she was also a distance runner and while she has jogged a bit while at home, she isn't training miles a day like she used to.

It will be interesting to see them when they get back. His group is 13 -15. Some were well along, others barely started. I’ve heard them on the Xbox and some of them have developed much deeper voices. My son will go back to school and practice taller than me. He was about 5’2” when quarantine started, and now he’s the same size as me, about 5’5”. Glad I don’t have to go buy him a new wardrobe

My DD 14 has been off for injuries prior to lockdown and she will be going back a totally different size and shape! Much curvier, around 5! inches taller and no idea how much heavier and with periods. She is a trampolinist and swimmer so hopefully it will not affect her too badly.

DS is 11 and is around an inch taller so far, I guess it could have happened anyway.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back