*gulp!* Here goes nothing!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JediGymnast

Gymnast
Hello! I'm a 26 year old self-taught gymnast who has never set foot in a gymnasium. Ever since the Magnificent Seven won gold in 1996, I've wanted to take gymnastics classes. I was ten at the time and my parents said I was too old, so I forgot about it. Last year I watched the Fab Five take gold again and, once again, wanted to learn gymnastics. After seeing videos on YouTube of adult gymnasts, I realized it wasn't impossible. Long story short, I didn't find any classes- gymnastics, tumbling, or otherwise -for anyone over 18 within 80 miles. :( So, I started teaching myself. In the past ten months I've learned just about all the Level 1 floor and beam skills and am adding in a few Level 2 skills (thank you, Google). I know I'll probably get chewed out for even trying without a coach or crash mats, but after turning that first straight-legged cartwheel...I got hooked. I'm still hopeful I'll find a closer class, but until then I'm just doing things solo. I have no delusions of competing, I just want to learn and have fun. :)

Love your screen name! I won't chew you out. I think it's great that you want to learn some skills! I hope you are able to find some professional instruction and continue to learn. I had a PE teacher in Middle school who, with no Gymnastics background, learned how to do a backhand spring at 38!

I'm 30 and I do compete in trampoline and tumbling. Granted I did do gymnastics as a kid. I also always wanted to do gym again and could never find one until I was 26 and had moved. Look at dance studios too a lot of them offer tumbling classes and are more open to adults :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Hi, I like your story and I hope you'll find a place to train. I did some gymnastics when younger, but not enough, then I trained with a college team seeking to compete on one event. In my late 30s I got interested again and found different adult gymnastics programs in different places, but only recently found a good workout situation: the gym where my children now are learning the sport and the coaching is really good and they coach me too (1 night open adult gym, another night private), it's helping a lot and now I'm 47. So with your enthusiasm, it sounds as though you could get pretty good, but finding an appropriate coach and gym will make a big difference.

Always good to see more adult gymnasts here! I am 46 and restarted gymnastics at 43 many decades after doing a few years of rec gym as a kid. It is heaps of fun! There are some skills you can work on by yourself relatively safely, but other skills you really shouldn't try at home. I hope you can find a gym to train at and some adult classes with good coaching.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! :) Now I don't feel so embarrassed. BlairBob: Pardon me, but what the heck is Woodward?

Welcome and hope you continue. Just remember in life your only TOO OLD for something if you let yourself be too old. Wish your parents would have let you do gymnastics at 10 not sure what they thought you were too old for but now you can move forward. Maybe you could convince your local gyms (if presented right) to maybe add in an adult class.

Woodward is a gymnastics camp in Tehachapi, CA. It's 35 miles SE of Bakersfield.

Ah, OK. Thank you. I checked their website and couldn't find anything about adult gymnastics...but even if I did, the price tag just about made me faint. :eek: Gymnastics classes out here average about $45 a month. A year's worth of lessons would be much less (and probably worth more) than a week at a camp more than 100 miles away. :p

Camp Woodward is in a few locations through out the US I know there is one in CO and one in PA as well as CA I forget where the other location is. And your right its not cheap but it can be a ton of FUN!!

All I can say is good for you. It certainly frustrating to have limited sources around you. But the strong always find a way. Good luck and welcome.

$45/month would be around 1hr/week so that's 4 hours.

A week at Woodward is probably at least 4 hours if not 5 or 6 a day. So, per hour it sounds about twice as much. And I'm not sure many adults could train that much and not break.

So maybe look for some 1 day clinics instead. You'll probably have to travel a bit though but at least you are in California.

Camp Woodward is in a few locations through out the US I know there is one in CO and one in PA as well as CA I forget where the other location is. And your right its not cheap but it can be a ton of FUN!!

I think the last Woodward is in Wisconsin.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back