Parents Gym Decisions and Need Advice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So both girls would be L3s?

Honestly, when I hear you talk about the other gym, I cannot imagine considering moving there. What specifically makes them "severe?" Is it jsut yelling? (our coach yells, but not in anger...in sheer need to be heard lol)

YOu say your girls are happy where they are. And it sounds like they are progressing. So imo, you should stay put. At least see this out and see how it works. It might be the best thing for your girls.

I understand questioning their decision, do they have any defined criteria for advancing to the next level?
In the past it has been they needed all their next level skills. This is new so everyone is confused and the owner is referring parents to the coaches and the coaches are not calling the parents back. It’s extremely frustrating trying to get answers and one of the coaches said the parents were crazy and annoying to the office staff.

Honestly, when I hear you talk about the other gym, I cannot imagine considering moving there. What specifically makes them "severe?" Is it jsut yelling? (our coach yells, but not in anger...in sheer need to be heard lol)

YOu say your girls are happy where they are. And it sounds like they are progressing. So imo, you should stay put. At least see this out and see how it works. It might be the best thing for your girls.

I have heard terrible stories about saying “why can’t you be more like this child” or “do you speak English?” to little kids. They slap to get legs straight on bars. I’ve seen kids crying often. One of the Hopes girls there backed out of elite. She scored second place in hopes championships. Phenominal gymnast. Now she’s a level 10 at 12 years old who cries for an hour next to the beam. I’m not sure how true or exaggerated these claims are but since I hear them from multiple sources they must be a little true at least. They win every meet.

She went from level 5 to Hopes silver medalist in one year. Such a sad story. And yes. My girls would both be level 3.

But at our gym now one of the coaches has been yelling. I’ve heard things that she’s said as well that I believe to be nasty. My the. Five year old said she used to think the coach wanted to kill her but now she realizes it’s just her face. Haha. My girls are actually used to her. She hasn’t said anything that crosses the line to my kids that I know of. I’ve heard other things she’s said that I don’t like.

It sounds like you are seriously considering moving your children to a questionable coaching environment just so they can level up, that sounds like a really bad idea.

I can see how it may sound that way but that isn’t it at all. If they switched gyms my older would probably repeat level 3 anyways in my head since it’s a new gym and I’m prepared for that. I think it boils down to the fact that the gym I’m at I’m unhappy with for so many reasons and I feel backed in a corner. The other gym provides more opportunity. All of their level tens (if my kids even make it) get full scholarships to the top D1 schools. They send videos out. They have Stanford, Penn State, W&M, Michigan, Florida...

However you are right. My kids could be unhappy there. Maybe I should stick it out...I really just want my kids to be happy in the end. Their friends are there too.

I can see how it may sound that way but that isn’t it at all. If they switched gyms my older would probably repeat level 3 anyways in my head since it’s a new gym and I’m prepared for that. I think it boils down to the fact that the gym I’m at I’m unhappy with for so many reasons and I feel backed in a corner. The other gym provides more opportunity. All of their level tens (if my kids even make it) get full scholarships to the top D1 schools. They send videos out. They have Stanford, Penn State, W&M, Michigan, Florida...

However you are right. My kids could be unhappy there. Maybe I should stick it out...I really just want my kids to be happy in the end. Their friends are there too.

This is the mentality of the gyms that we are reading about today. "but we get scholarships" does not justify abuse of any kind. It is not worth their mental well-being jsut for a scholarship. Read what these gymnasts who have been in those situations are saying.

Take my advice for what it's worth, my kid competes xcel and is probably skill wise on track with your kids. Don't make decisions about something that could happen 5-10 years from now but won't for the vast majority of us. If they're happy now and you're the only one annoyed stick it out. Try to fix the problems at the current gym. You don't want to find out after you get in there it's the next Everest.

Other reasons I’m unhappy there:
No communication
Rude coaches
Disorganized office staff
Favoritism
Mean yelling coach (head of JO)
Not enough coaches

This is the mentality of the gyms that we are reading about today. "but we get scholarships" does not justify abuse of any kind. It is not worth their mental well-being jsut for a scholarship. Read what these gymnasts who have been in those situations are saying.
Do you have a good link for me?

You’re right. I get so upset with this sport. Why is this the mentality? These are little kids. I just don’t understand it at all. Other sports aren’t this bad.

I think you have all helped me. It’s hard to think when upset. Lol! I maybe need a break away from that place. It’s just all so negative right now.

You’re right. I get so upset with this sport. Why is this the mentality? These are little kids. I just don’t understand it at all. Other sports aren’t this bad.

We are in an amazing program. THere is non of this. Very little parent drama, coaches are positive, and encouraging and fun. And, they get results. IN my son's old gym...negative coaching...dead last in the state at L8. New gym..nationals 2 times, placing both times in different areas (L9 - 10 AA, 4th Floor, L10 3rd floor, 5th pbars) you do not need strict, or intense to get where you want to go.

Maybe in other countries this is the norm. In the U.K. coaches have been known to weigh their athletes in and make them run in heavy coats if they weigh too much. These are kids!!!

Oh no. I just read The NY Times article about Everest. One thing I noticed is that it said parents weren’t allowed to watch. It is the same at this gym. Also, these coaches are foreign as well.
That is strange. I thought parents were allowed to watch there.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back