Parents Gym dues, various novice questions!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Graham14

Proud Parent
I'm attempting to put together a budget and to-do list for DD and DS's first gym classes and other activities. I received some fantastic info and tips from you all last time I posted, and now that I've got my thoughts together I have more questions!

Are there fees/dues to a gym besides basic term tuitions and registration fees? (For "tot 1" and "parent/tot" classes). I know for dance there are recital costumes to buy, but is there anything like that for gymnastics? I'm sure I will need to ask the gym all of this stuff too!

I got DD a leo and athletic type shorts/shirt for DS (parent/tot class), but do they need like, the bars grips? Or gymnastics shoes? (Total novice here lol)

Also a weird question, but should the girls wear underwear under their leos? For dance, the tights and tutus hide the baggy preschooler underwear coming out of the sides of the Leo, but I have no idea for gymnastics!

Thanks!

No, there are usually not a lot of hidden costs in recreational gymnastics. There may be extras like "gym fest day" where you can go through obstacle courses and earn a trophy or seasonal fundraising parties (usually team members hosting fun activities to raise funds for team) but usually nothing mandatory.
No grips or special shoes or anything required for quite some time. ;) Just their gymnastics outfits and a smile, and preferably no socks!
A leotard is great for girls, and close fitting athletic garments will work (at least at our gym this is permissible for rec classes but check with yours, they may require leotards for all classes). NO underwear under leos. ;). I have been heavily involved with dance for many year and with gymnastics as a parent and coach for quite some time also. There is no need for undies under leos, at all. Not for gym OR dance. Buy a well fitting leotard (I do see some kids in rec classes with super big leos, they have to wear undies or shorts with them but you really, really shouldn't have to). Think of it as a swimsuit. :).
Have FUN, relax and enjoy your kids exploring gymnastics and learning fun gross motor skills! :)

At that little kid level, there is really very little that is hidden. I think the only extra we encountered were twice yearly "mock meets" that the gym put on. They were optional but DD always wanted to do them and they cost extra (about $25-35). I think our gym also had an annual membership fee of $25. And you could buy t-shirts and such, but again, they are not required.

Until she was a little bigger we always did the unitard look -- sort of a leo with shorts. That hid underwear that she was more comfortable wearing.

If your gym offers birthday parties, be prepared to hear begging for that - and they may be pricey. There may be optional "open gym" or such in the afternoons or evenings that are available. Totally voluntary but they can be fun. Our gym does open parent/tot times as well as independent older kids, where you can just go and play without being part of a class.

No shoes, grips won't come until team (if then -- our gym waits until they are L5).

Obviously the team thing is an ENTIRELY different story, At that point there seems to be no end to the new fees and things that cost money.

In rec classes, usually there are not extra costs. As for the leotard: I recommend either a unitard or shorts with the leotard until they get to a place where the undergarments fir better.
Unitard
Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 12.19.58 PM.png
shorts for gymnastics
Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 12.23.24 PM.png

Costs really varies by gym.

Our gym requires gymnastics shoes for all kids. (grips we are not there yet and she is L4, coach will let us know)
My daughter wears unitards of leos with shorts to practice. We have no required practice leos. She wears underwear at practice, not meets.
Competitive level is completely different regarding meet fees, coaching fees, travel expenses, leos, warmups, Member ship fees, back pack.......

Rec, there is an end of year "meet/show" and that requires a "gym" leo, shorts and tee (changes every year have to purchase not crazy expense like competitive leo) . There is an admission fee to that. There is gifts for coaches during the holidays and end of year. Yearly registration fee.

The best folks to ask are gym parents who have been there a bit and the coaches. They will also be able to tell how much and when it comes up.

Our first year at our current gym I was like a deer in the head lights. Oh Christmas banquet, is coming up, money due Wed (umm its Monday). Oh we are placing a gym shoe order, who wants in, cash due Friday. Oh time to submit your childs page for the end of year program.

So much calmer now that I know how to budget and what is coming. But truly, it is very gym dependent.

Thanks!

We had her birthday party at a gym last year, which was part of what culminated in her obsession with gymnastics.

The Leo fits very well and she can wear without underwear, I just didn't want to send her without if everyone else would have it on.

Thanks for the info on the possible "extra" fees! I like to know what I'm getting into before I sign my life away ;). I have no idea if DD will make it to team gymnastics or not, but I suppose we will cross that bridge when we get there. Dance team starts at 6, and I know DD will want to do that too, so she may have to choose, even at 6 years old. I think they start going like 4 days a week for that too.

I swear I have heard of nothing but gymnastics for the past three months! DD is so excited to start. I really appreciate everyone's advice!

I was reading this and it made me think of #1,286 on my "list" of things I wish I knew about gymnastics when she first started - don't buy too many Leos when they are wee little- they grow fast! But def have around 3 bc there's always one in the wash or one hiding under the bed when you need it!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back