Parents gym in less than an hour and I dont want to go... :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

guest301

I am feeling so overtired already.... its been 4 years since weekly I have been taking now 2 kids to the gym. My DS is 7 and DD will be 5 soon. DD wants to be on a team and talks about it daily.
DS was 4 when i first took him to gymnastics, DD joined a year later. Both take classes twice a week (our gym is going downhill lately and I enrolled them twice a week so they dont lose the skills). No classes overlapping and that is a big downside of it. I wish i could just bring both of them and not drive there 4 times a week. I am so tired at this point. Kids really LOVE the sport and I understand with my DD wanting to be on a team next year its only the beginning for us.... but i cant imagine THIS being only beginning.. :eek:
My DH takes my son sometimes when I need to rest (i work full time overnight). But really all the gym stuff is on me.... I want to have some rest but i dont want to fail my kids...

Oh we hear you. I remember the year my girls trained at ten different times a week at a gym 45 minutes away. It was exhausting. I lived in the car. I was so happy when the following year they were in the same training group.

being a sports parent is tough. Now my girls are 16 and 13 and do no organized sports outside school hours, I feel like I am on holiday.

not every family can commit to the demands of team.

I am so thankful for carpooling this year. I am only responsible for 2 day most weeks. So much better than 4-5 days a weeks - 4 30-minutes trips each day!. It was nuts.

As bog said, it isn't for everyone. So many parents don't think of the time commitment when they search out team. But its important part of it. The trips to the gym become a mainstay in your life. I know I didn't think about it when dd was 6yrs old. I'm sure I probably would have done it anyway but informed decision is much better. :rolleyes:

In the same boat... or should I say minivan. My husband and I transport our 2 DDs (both Level 7) 5 days per week. Our gym is 65 minutes from our home. Yes... we spend over 10 hours a week just taking them to and from the gym. It can be exhausting but I really enjoy the "alone" time with the girls. When they are grown, I will always remember the talking, laughing, debating and the occasional awkward pre-teen question.

I hear ya! I was feeling that way at the beginning of this week also, I was just thinking on Monday, oh crap another week of this! My daughter does gym 3 times a week and has ballet after class on one day and acro after class on another, so it's exhausting. My daughter also isn't on the team as she is in pre-team right now. So I can only imagine how it will be once she is on team. I don't have any advice for you, sorry. =( Other than maybe you could car pool with another mom? That isn't an option for us but maybe it is for you. Just thought I'd tell you you're not alone! Even though I sometimes dread the week of gymnastics/dance, I just tell myself that my daughter loves it and once we get there and I see how happy she is I feel better. I guess it's just the sacrifices we make as moms. Another thing is once your daughter does team you may have time to get stuff done during class and that might make it easier for you. Like once my daughter is on team she will be there for 3-4 hours some days so I can easily leave or go grocery shopping. Or if you live close enough you could go home. Good luck to you.

I feel ya! One girl and one boy on team, opposite training schedules, and a ton of time in the car. I believe it is all worth it, but down right painful some days.

Many here are in the same boat. I have 4 kids. One does at least on school sport every season, has a club sport year round, does school plays, is part of a singing group, is in band and is in student government. At least a couple of times a week, she has to be in three different places from 2:30 to 7:30. My gymnast is probably the easiest one with so far gymnastics everyday. When she goes to junior high she has already expressed trying out for track and doing some plays. My oldest participates in one or two seasonal school sport and has a club sport year round. It is my youngest that I feel so bad. She gets off at 3:30 and we typically don't get home until 6:45 every day. I get to leave her with my oldest when he gets some as I start the pick ups at 7:30. She does have dance twice a week on Thursday and Friday. But by the end of the week, she does not feel like going anymore. Inspite of being in the car sooo much, and of course, I do get tired. I truly do not mind it. I think enjoyingchildhood, the reason you feel the way you do is your kids are still very young and you are not seeing the benefit of taking them to class. Once your daughter gets into team, and you get to watch her grow as a gymnast and compete, it can get pretty rewarding. You may be more anxious to take them to gym when the time comes. So, hang in there.

I am at the gym 4 times a week, and luckily my other DD has ballet nearby on 2 of those days, so I can combine trips. Two of the days (Monday and Wednesday) I run at a nearby sports centre while gym is going on, and I have lost weight and gotten fitter doing this, so now I wouldn't want to give up those days being out! On Friday evenings I have a group I hang out with at our local yacht club while gym is on - that's my weekly social outing. And Saturday mornings I usually don't mind the gym run - I get my errands done nearby (the mall is closer to the gym than it is to my house, for example). The only time it's a real pain is when I've been out late on Friday night (usually when alcohol has been involved ;) ). Tuesday and Thursday are the 2 days I like to come straight home from work around 4 p.m. and have nothing to do (my kids are carpooled home from school) - I need that break!

I think we all have days like that! Sometimes mom needs a break. My 2 dd's are on opposite schedules and we are there 6 days a week for a total of almost 30 hours. I think I might die without carpools. Actually though I have gotten to where I enjoy it some. I like the time with my dds. I like seeing some of the other parents that I have gotten to know. I work from home and it is very isolating. That is my outlet to some extent. Just that 10-15 minutes of chatting with another adult at pick up who "gets it" is a life saver some days. Plus I view it as my job to support them in the things they want to do. I just like watching them do gymnastics even though I don't really know what I am watching.

Is there some way you can figure out to make it more fun for you? Is there someone you can go out for coffee with while they are practicing? Is there a book on tape you can listen to in the car to make the drive a little better? I even enjoy listening to kids books with my kids. My only advice is to try to embrace it if that is what your kids really want to do.

boy, don't i know that i have days like that also. veal parm w/side of pasta, some king crab and a glass of dark red wine usually clears me up!:)

14 years in to this sport...and still driving to gym 5-6 days a week...I'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!

14 years in to this sport...and still driving to gym 5-6 days a week...I'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!
I'm just about to enter it. Five nights a week starts next week. We've just yesterday had our last weeknight dinner with DD at the table. Realized two nights ago that my evening routine of settling in to watch some TV after putting the kids to bed is going to change - I'll be picking her up when I'd normally be done and starting a show. The idea of her moving up to the "big" optional practice is exciting, but some of the realities are hitting now that it's imminent.

wallinbl -

Welcome to the world of "the optionals". You will quickly come to realize that the passion of an optional gymnast results in increased training time as the skills require so much more repetition. When my dd was a level 7, they did 4 days a week, 3 hours a day. Saturdays were "only if needed". Last year as an 8 it was six days a week, 3 hours a day. This year as a 9 its six days a week and almost 4 hours a day. Over this past summer it was almost 5 hours each day. And let me suggest that if you have been used to watching practices, find a way to get out of that habit. Optional skills take a lot of time, effort, and frustration to learn and it can be even more frustrating to watch.

Good Luck!

In some ways, team may be easier. You get to know the other parents really well, so arranging carpools becomes easier. Plus they're there for long blocks of time so you don't have to wait around or run back again an hour later. Between carpooling and other members of my family all I do is pick DD up 3 nights I find myself a little sad on nights when I don't drive because I enjoy having that time with her.

I know how difficult it is sometimes. My dd is at gym 4 nights a week and my ds currently is in basketball season which means 3 games a week (plus practices). This past week I wasn't feeling well which made it even more difficult. The rare occasion where both kids have a night off practice/games is a special treat :) However, I know my kids appreciate me being there and I really do enjoy watching them have fun at their various sports and this ultimately makes it worth while. Although, team gymnastics is not for every family, it has brought us many friends (almost like family) and has had a positive impact on both my children. Good luck in your gym mom journey!

Drop a rec class then. Two bad classes aren't going to help them any more than one- in fact if your gym has gone that downhill it might be two classes teaching them bad habits.

youll have plenty of time to wear yourself out when and if your kids make team. Don't do it for rec classes, especially bad ones!

I've managed to develop a pretty well oiled routine now, which helps, but even so some weeks seem ok, and some weeks I wake on Monday morning and feel exhausted just thinking about it! It's normally cos I'm trying to cram too much other stuff in too (I do work as well, and I am a sucker for agreeing to help with things at school and so on...).

Give yourself enough time before you leave to get everything together, try not to be rushing (easier said than done!)

Don't really know what else to say... :meditate:

Thank you guys so much!! It's so nice to be able to vent and get helpful tips :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back