Gym management is driving me insane

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay - I go to a gym on the east coast. This year the "powers" picked a $600 Leo & Warm ups combination for compeition wear. We had to buy $35 "team bags", $35 parent shirts, $45 Score runner outfits for the two meets we host, "$50 summer leo, & were "recommended" to go to a gym fundraiser at $50 per couple, & a christmas party of $25 per family. I'm not going to talk about the gym fees - those seem in line with our area, but we've spent alsom $1000 on CLOTHES. Is $660 for a leo & warm ups a lot in the gymnastics world for Level 5/6s?IS THIS NORMAL? I have no opinion of the coaching staff - my daughter seems happy & healthy. I'm just freaked out that the gym mangement just expects we'll pony up for the such excessive clothing.

Really, really not normal.

The high end for Leo's and warm ups on the Chalkbucket is about $500 and the low end at just a leo for $60, most gyms spend about $200-$300.

But all the other stuff? Parent shirt, you couldn't make me wear a team shirt let alone pay for one. As for meet runner outfit, that is what warm ups are for, why a new outfit or a fundraiser.

If the powers aren't up for discussion about change I'd be moving on. No way is $1000 a season okay in compulsories.

This varies widely from team to team. At DD's gym, warm up and leo together came to about $200, but I know the HC made the decision to try to keep things affordable because it's a brand new team... nobody can wear last year's leo or buy one from a kid who outgrew it. They don't even have the team name on the warm-up yet (I wouldn't mind shelling out a bit more $$ for that...). Bag was $25. There was a recommended (but not required) "exhibition leo" that cost about $35 for them to wear to non-competitive gym events or for "team spirit" days in the gym. And we could buy $10 t-shirts if we wanted. And the booster club is offering additional clothing (fleece jackets, sweat pants, etc.) as a fundraiser, but again, that's all optional. I appreciate that the HC took affordability into consideration when she made the decisions regarding all the gymnastics "stuff" we "need." However, I have heard some pretty high figures from others here on the CB, so I don't think you're alone. Definitely on the high end though, I would think/hope!

Wow, that's a lot! We pay about $130 for the competition leo and about the same for warm-up, but they change each one every other year on alternating years, so theoretically we only have to pay for one or the other if we're not new (and no growth spurts). There's no bag or anything else, just a $35-50 practice leo for spring exhibition. They sell other stuff as a fundraiser, but nothing else is required. All that "parent shirt" and "score runner outfit" stuff seems way over the top to me!

That's absurdly on the high end, and I live in a fairly expensive area. You can run the cost of the leos and warm ups up pretty easily by adding stones, but over $650 is still pretty silly to me. You can get pretty nice ones for $200-300.

Our gym doesn't change the uniforms very often, so we've been able to get a lot of stuff second-hand. The tracksuits are (I think) about $150 new, but these can also be bought second-hand. The club bags are $55, but will last for years and can also be bought second-hand. They are changing the junior competition leo next year and I don't know how much it will cost yet, but is unlikely to be more than $100, and should be useable for the next few years. There are no special club summer/practice leos. And definitely no parent t-shirts, LOL!

This seems insanely high to me overall. We have had to pay for a new leo, warm-ups and bag for levels 4-6 for my daughter. Each level was at a different gym as it took us a while to find a good fit for her and each gym had a very different philosophy (laid back, semi-competitive, uber competitive). Ironically we paid the most at the laid back gym, but the fee for those items has ranged between $250 and 350 at all three gyms.

As for the fees for the other stuff... Outrageous doesn't begin to describe it. A summer leo? LOL... I must have missed where these things went seasonal. And the parent shirts and score runner outfits... blech! I'd take a big old pass on those thank you very much.

For the fundraiser stuff though, normally we are required to sell stuff which I LOATHE! Having the option to pay $75 annually would be a welcome change, especially if I got to go to a couple parties for my money.

Just so you don't feel like you are the only one paying a ton though, a girl on my daughter's team was also new to the gym last year and she told me of the pricing at the gym they left and it was disgustingly high. $280 for a long sleeve competition leo and $150 for the short sleeve version... $250 for the warm-up and to add insult to injury, both leotards were white, so they also had to buy the skin colored liner leotard to go underneath at $30.

Really ??

Squad leos range from £25-£40
Optional club sweatshirt £15
optional warm up trousers - addidas 3/4 leggins £8
Competition leos £ free - borrowed from the club !

That is really shocking and it shouldn't vary that much by region since it's all mail order. Our local Y team gets very nice & fancy long sleeve stoned leos and velvet stoned warm ups and a perfectly serviceable bag, and the total is about $175. My son's team paid $200 for plain leo, shorts, pants, bag, and a sweatshirt that will never fit, OK there was some markup going on there. But in our gym the girls' set is $300 and it's absolutely a beautiful leo and warm up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back