Gym Meet on Super Bowl Sunday

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My poor hubby! He is not a football fan. We don't watch it very often. We have watched 2 games this year. One was the high school game that was broadcasted on local stations. The other was the Saints game. We only watched the last hour of it. Being from MS, we grew up with the Saints. Well, they are going to the Superbowl. We are going to Mobile for a gym meet. The awards begin at 2:30. There is no way we can be back home in MS by 5:30. Oh well, guess we will catch the end. :)

My dd has a meet starting at 4:30, awards at 8:30 pm. My husband said he's skipping that meet, but he only makes about 1 a year. He can't sit and listen to the same music over and over without complaining, so we don't mind his missing. DD know he is proud and it doesn't upset her, she gets her dad. Can't image we'll have many dads at that session!

Good luck to your DD and safe travels back to watch the game!

Thanks! Same to you! :) Hubby gets impatient with the music as well. Now we have to sit through 2 sessions since we have 2 girls. It gets old pretty quickly. ;) He is just so funny with this one. He told me that a man must not have planned this meet since it is on Superbowl Sunday. :0. Like I said, he never watches football. But since it is the Saints....so silly.

I have long ago given up spectator sports (and I was a huge fans of many) since my kids started doing competitive sports/activities. Mainly, I just don't have the time. And frankly I do not miss much of it (no matter how big the games are). Being a busy parent of athletes, missing commercial sports is a small sacrifice to make. Corny to say, I'm my kids' biggest fan. They are my only athletes to watch and their "games" are the only sports I cannot miss.

Being a man is no excuse. There is nothing to feel sorry for. Check out my id if you don't believe me. If I can put up with disco to support one of my children's activities, any dad can put up with a piece of floor music, no matter how lame.

Last edited:
I am a big football fan and we also have a meet that weekend. I was so happy when I saw she was competing on Friday so we will be home by Saturday afternoon. (not that my team is in the superbowl )

Being a man is no excuse. There is nothing to feel sorry for. Check out my id if you don't believe me. If I can put up with disco to support one of my children's activities, any dad can put up with a piece of floor music, no matter how lame.

If my husband did not support her, she would not be in this sport anymore. She would never say her dad doesn't support her. We all show support in different ways, and she understands that. Her watches her sister so that she does not have to go to every meet. As a 10 year old, she has no interest in gymnastics and it is nice that not every weekend has to revolve around her sister. She often wants to play with friends, has a school activity or even has a swim meet, and this way I never have to worry about conflicting schedules. DH and younger DD are always calling before the meet is even over to see how she did. They are proud of her and she knows it!

My Dh only makes about 1-2 meets per season as well. I wouldn't call him non supportive. We have 3 kids. My 13 yr old plays JV baseball for the High School as well as year round Travel Ball. My 11 yr old (Morgan's twin) also plays year round travel ball. We just can't be in all places at all times. Just because I miss A lot of my boys baseball doesn't mean I don't support them.

My hubby rarely goes to any of the girls meets. We have a third child sho doesn't do gym and so we wouldn't force him to go and watch gym. Also when one girl has a meet the other usually goes skiing with Dad. He doesn't understand the scoring, it has changed at lot in Canada no 10 any more, and he finds it too confusing. He always watches their video and is interested in their progress. But for him not to go to meets is just fine.

I would be totally cool with him doing something else, especially if it involved the other kids.

My oldest prefers it if the family aren't there to watch, she's okay with me, but thats enough.

Different families, different strokes .

Thanks you all.
I am just laughing at the irony that hubby who doesn't like football that much is missing the one football game he might want to watch. ;) Hubby is great and attends most of the girls meets during the year. We are fortunate in that both girls are gymnasts. He will attend this meet and have fun with the girls. Plus I told him we might go see the battleship in Mobile! So his sudden love for football is a great fun teasing point now. ;)

I think my dad has been to two or three meets out of my whole 5 1/2 years of competing. Which has never bothered me. I know he supports me but he hates watching my do gymnastics because he thinks i'm going to hurt myself lol. You know how dad's are with their daughters.

Maybe I led you guys down the wrong path. AGAIN! Anyhoo, the point that I made was about how silly it is for a wife to feel sorry (and giving excuses) for the husband because a football game happens to be on at the same time as a daughter's meet. It wasn't supposed to be a criticism/attack on one's life style in general, especially those who have to split up because their kids go in separate directions for different things (which happened just the past weekend when both daughters are competing in two entirely opposite directions).

Just to show how crazy a father can be... I spent all day on Sunday driving between two competing sites ~200miles apart just so that my kids can have the right equipment to use. Worse yet, another father drove the same trip from 6:30pm to just before midnight to replace yet another piece of equipment so that his son can compete the next day. At least I had a great sunny day to drive in.

BTW, Gillatard, anyone on CB who has an idea about me knows how much a softy I am when it comes to children. I too often am VERY nervous about the thought of seeing my daughters getting hurt at a meet -- especially now that my older is starting to throw some biggest skills. I'll also throw in the fact that both of my daughters are also competitive (and aggressive) alpine racers where my 13yo just hit 50+ mph this past weekend on a steep slope -- catching air and all.

Last edited:
Maybe I led you guys down the wrong path. AGAIN! Anyhoo, the point that I made was about how silly it is for a wife to feel sorry (and giving excuses) for the husband because a football game happens to be on at the same time as a daughter's meet. It wasn't supposed to be a criticism/attack on one's life style in general, especially those who have to split up because their kids go in separate directions for different things (which happened just the past weekend when both daughters are competing in two entirely opposite directions).

Just to show how crazy a father can be... I spent all day on Sunday driving between two competing sites ~200miles apart just so that my kids can have the right equipment to use. Worse yet, another father drove the same trip from 6:30pm to just before midnight to replace yet another piece of equipment so that his son can compete the next day. At least I had a great sunny day to drive in.

BTW, Gillatard, anyone on CB who has an idea about me knows how much a softy I am when it comes to children. I too often am VERY nervous about the thought of seeing my daughters getting hurt at a meet -- especially now that my older is starting to throw some biggest skills. I'll also throw in the fact that both of my daughters are also competitive (and aggressive) alpine racers where my 13yo just hit 50+ mph this past weekend on a steep slope -- catching air and all.

I understand. :)
I think you missed the irony in my post. My husband is not a football fan. He is not a sports fan. He is not a hunter. He is more of a computer type of guy. :) He is a nice softy that is completely involved in our family-kids gymnastics=he is the team photographer. :) SO there is a since of ironythat the one time he would like to watch a football game we are on the road to Mobile(4 hour) drive from where we live. :) Hotel reservations have been made. We will all go to the meet. Maybe see the battleship while there. After Ellie competes we will hit the road back and catch the end of the game when we get back home. Like I said I am just enjoying the irony of the whole situation and get to tease him about it. :) Kind of fun! KWIM! :)

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back