Parents Gym Name Help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jenbsufs

Coach
Proud Parent
I need help choosing the right name for a gym my husband and I are purchasing February. I’ll try to keep background as simple as possible but I feel it’s needed in order to help.
Basically my husband and I have a long history of recreational sports programs and instruction. Primarily geared to young children (8 and under typically). We decided to expand and purchase a local recreational gymnastics center. It’s a very sweet program and has a great group of children. But it is very recreational/beginner gymnastics (we hope to expand and challenge some athletes in the future but it’ll never be a competitive program).
The current name has been in place for 30 years and it’s the name of the current owner. She is retiring and has been so helpful. She’s ok with us keeping the name in place as we transition to new ownership. BUT with that being said we do need to change the name.
Because it’s recreational and has a family vibe we were thinking of keeping the name personal. My 2 year olds name is Cassidy and the gym is on the corner of the complex. So I thought Cassidy’s/Cassie’s Corner Gym would be a really cute name. But now we’re not so sure if it’s the best way to go. Cassidy is definitely a girls name... so I am not sure we’d get such a boy presence if we focused on a few boy programs. But according to the current owner it’s never “stopped” boys from coming (having a girls name in the gym name). So the small gym, family vibe is definitely there and we feel keeping it could be good... but we’re worried it may turn some away.
Sooo then we think maybe it should be more of a generic/fun name. We’re considering something like FunNastics Gym but still unsure.
I’d love to hear any feedback what all you awesome parents think would be a better fit.
Thanks for taking the time to read this. Looking forward to any advice.

I would go with more of a fun name rather than using your child's name. Tumble Time, Flips 'n Fun, Gym Jams (this was actually the name of the preschool I went to a million years ago!), Cartwheel Club. Great question, now I'm going to be mulling over gym names for the rest of the day! :D

Wow thanks for the response!! Yes they do have some older girls 10&11s in the program. So I can’t go TOO cute/young. We’re also hoping to maybe include a boys fitness/ninja program.

I vote for Tumble Time too. It’s a good fit for all the various types of classes and isn’t limiting in terms of age or gender, and it sounds like a fun/exciting place, and the alliteration is catchy!

I like [name of city] Tumblers! Also, if your town has a commonly used nickname, you could stick that in front of "gymnatics" (using NYC as an example, like "Big Apple Gymnastics" "Big Apple Tumblers" or "Manhattan Tumblers")

I wouldn't use your kiddo's name for many reasons. My aunt did that for her brunch cafe and it caused 2 problems....1-my cousin actually got made fun of a decent amount because of it as he got older and 2- his younger brother was always a little saddened by the fact that nothing was named after him!

Funtastic Gymnastic, Tumbletown Gymnastics, Flip Out Acrobatics, Flip Out Corner Gym, High Flyers Athletics (if you will have non gym sports there too maybe?) Flip Out Athletics, Twist Athletics, Tiny Twisters,

I would make sure the name doesn’t make you sound too recreational or too focused on young kids. It is early days and you don’t know what you want to do with this gym and where you want to take it. As you said, you hope to move onto competitive classes, you may eventually want to become a very serious competitive gym. But a name that indicates rec gymnastics for little kids will turn away the clientele you might be wanting.

I would look for a name that indicates gymnastics, and not a cute one.

Congratulations! Best of luck with your new business!

Here are gym names I do not like. No names, unless it is the owner's last name and they are a respected and well known name in gymnastics. And even then, not my favorite. Using a real kid's name is, in my opinion, off putting. You want the kids who come to your gym to think of the gym as their gym. In fact there is a chain of kids gyms called My Gym, which I think is brilliant.

Anything hard to spell or to say. I think "Funastics" is hard to say.

Almost anything with tumble or flip in the name has been used. This could be ok, but you will want to know for sure no other gym with the same or very similar name was anywhere around you for at least the past several years to avoid confusion.

I like short, but unfortunately if you use just "gym" the likelyhood is everyone assumes it is a workout gym

I like using Corner, as it allows a picture of the location to form in the mind.

Corner Gymnastics?
Corner Gymnastics Center?
[Your town or state name] Corner Gymnastics?
If you want somewhat cutsey and short- Corner Flip? Or The Corner Flip?

As a parent of two boy gymnasts, I can say that that my boys, anyway, do NOT like cutesy gym names, even if they are not female specific. Even as little guys in rec they prefer to viewed gymnastics as a "real" sport and not playtime, if that makes sense. So they like serious names. Our gym has a non-cutesy name and they are glad. (Although it has a huge rec program, it is definitely a team oriented gym.) But a name my boys did not like would not have kept them away from a gymnastics as youngsters. What did make a difference for them was having male coaches.

I need help choosing the right name for a gym my husband and I are purchasing February. I’ll try to keep background as simple as possible but I feel it’s needed in order to help.
Basically my husband and I have a long history of recreational sports programs and instruction. Primarily geared to young children (8 and under typically). We decided to expand and purchase a local recreational gymnastics center. It’s a very sweet program and has a great group of children. But it is very recreational/beginner gymnastics (we hope to expand and challenge some athletes in the future but it’ll never be a competitive program).
The current name has been in place for 30 years and it’s the name of the current owner. She is retiring and has been so helpful. She’s ok with us keeping the name in place as we transition to new ownership. BUT with that being said we do need to change the name.
Because it’s recreational and has a family vibe we were thinking of keeping the name personal. My 2 year olds name is Cassidy and the gym is on the corner of the complex. So I thought Cassidy’s/Cassie’s Corner Gym would be a really cute name. But now we’re not so sure if it’s the best way to go. Cassidy is definitely a girls name... so I am not sure we’d get such a boy presence if we focused on a few boy programs. But according to the current owner it’s never “stopped” boys from coming (having a girls name in the gym name). So the small gym, family vibe is definitely there and we feel keeping it could be good... but we’re worried it may turn some away.
Sooo then we think maybe it should be more of a generic/fun name. We’re considering something like FunNastics Gym but still unsure.
I’d love to hear any feedback what all you awesome parents think would be a better fit.
Thanks for taking the time to read this. Looking forward to any advice.
How about "Champions"?

I vote no on Cassidy also, it does make it sound more of a girl’s gym and not as inviting to boys programs. Nothing too cutesy either with Tot or Tiny in the name if you’re wanting to have more serious programs in the future.
Let us know what you decide on!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back