Parents Gym Report Cards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

claudidoll

Proud Parent
Do your gymmie's get progress reports?

DD got her first one tonight, she was rated from 1-10 on things like flexibility ( splits, bridge etc) Strength ( upper/lower/core) Skill progression (vault/beam/bars/floor) and Success Skills (attitude/work ethic/listening etc)

I think she did well lots of 8's and 9's
3 -7's

And even a 10 for work ethic :) ( she always works hard )

Any how, I'm just wondering if this is standard practice and if I'm right in assuming she is doing pretty well...

Yeah...we don't have that, but I would like it. Even though my DD is higher level, it would be nice if they had an evaluation of some type and the next set of growth skills they're working on, maybe some goals. As it is, it's a big of a guessing game in terms of what skills will be in her routines, etc.

We get a report card at the end of the session (sessions are quarterly) and they get one of three ratings for each skill: completed, in progress, not started. Then some general comments. This is not for rec, only for the developmental classes...

We used to have a chart posted on the bulletin board that had the old USAG "Level 1-4 Report Card" and each rec girl had an individual one in her file. When they got a skill with 90% accuracy, it was checked off. When they had 75% of the skills in one level checked off, they were moved up to the next level. Every few months, copies were made for parents and the remaining skills in that level were marked W- Working on it N - Not ready to work on it C- Close to having it (75-89% of the time). We have 3 levels of Rec, so the last level on the card was for our L4 team. My YG, back when she was in the 1st level of Rec had checkmarks on some things in all 4 levels, but couldn't move up until she had 75% of the L1 skills marked. By the time she moved to L3, she had all of the L1, all but one of the L2, over half of the L3, and 1/3 - 1/2 of the L4 skills already marked. Her Handstand Flatback on the big vault stack was good enough at L2 that she got pulled into the old L4 team Vault practice one night when her class was over and we were waiting for her sister. She held her own and (according to more than one coach and several parents) she actually vaulted better than at least 4 of the girls on the team.

Since the level change, we don't use the report cards anymore and i think it is a shame.

This report card was for pre-comp, the rec program here is can-gym, its a badge badge system and the report cards are very clear.

I wish there was a way to make the pre-comp reports less vague

Based on some of the stories about CGMS that get posted from time to time on CB, perhaps the coaches should be giving report cards for the parents! It could include things like:
Flexibility (was parent willing to drop everything for last-minute practices even when they really really wanted to get to the sales to get that cute pair of shoes?)
Strength (did parent manage to carry sufficient supplies to get dd through the competition and not eat the really delicious chocolate-coated oreos whilst waiting for warm-up to finish?)
Memory (has attendance at all competitions been accompanied by correct leotard/ hairstyle/ grips/ child etc?)
Success skills (has parent made and sustained friendships with other gym parents despite dd being moved ahead/ left behind/ always being the one to have to help rearrange the gym for competitions?)
Sanity (has parent managed not to question coach incessantly about progress of dd, routines, plans for future/ availability for dating?)
It might be educational!:)

Based on some of the stories about CGMS that get posted from time to time on CB, perhaps the coaches should be giving report cards for the parents! It could include things like:
Flexibility (was parent willing to drop everything for last-minute practices even when they really really wanted to get to the sales to get that cute pair of shoes?)
Strength (did parent manage to carry sufficient supplies to get dd through the competition and not eat the really delicious chocolate-coated oreos whilst waiting for warm-up to finish?)
Memory (has attendance at all competitions been accompanied by correct leotard/ hairstyle/ grips/ child etc?)
Success skills (has parent made and sustained friendships with other gym parents despite dd being moved ahead/ left behind/ always being the one to have to help rearrange the gym for competitions?)
Sanity (has parent managed not to question coach incessantly about progress of dd, routines, plans for future/ availability for dating?)
It might be educational!:)

My favorite is whether they bring the correct child to the meet.

We get report cards twice a year. They also have conditioning testing through the year. I think they are good for the parents. The coaches sit down with the gymnasts several times during the year to set goals and revisit goals. I find that more beneficial for my daughter.

We get report cards twice a year. They also have conditioning testing through the year. I think they are good for the parents. The coaches sit down with the gymnasts several times during the year to set goals and revisit goals. I find that more beneficial for my daughter.

That would be really good...so the coach and gymnast are on the same page. My DD is very goal oriented and it would be really good for her to have some specific things that she knows her coach wants her working on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back