WAG Gym(s) question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flipper123

Proud Parent
Hi All,

We're looking at relocating due to work and have several location options.. luckily all of them seem to have good gyms but would love to get an idea of who everyone recommends most highly! Gymnast is going into Level 9.

Colorado Aerials - CO Springs
Bull City - Durham, NC
Southeastern - Charlotte, NC
Georgia Elite - Athens, GA
Texas Dreams, WOGA, Empire (etc) - Frisco/Dallas, TX
World Champions Centre - The Woodlands, TX
LaFleurs - Tampa, FL

If anyone has experience with these that would be great. There are obviously a lot more criteria in relocation, and gymnastics is just a part, and The Woodlands seems to check all/most of the boxes. She is excited about the idea of it being "Simone Biles's gym" but we do want to ensure the best coaching possible there. She is already very used to very high level coaching (one of top 5 gyms in the country). College is her path. For World Champions Center I see some strength in Level 8 but nothing much in Level 9 (yet?).

Thank you in advance!

Also if there are other gyms that are in those areas that are particularly good, maybe up and coming, please don't hesitate!

I have second hand info re: WCC from the mother of a former team member who moved to TX and is currently a L8 at WCC. Sounds like there are two different L8 teams -- the "two a day" homeschool group (two practices per day + afternoon homeschool), and a "one a day" group (one evening practice per day). It is my impression that these groups operate a bit like an A team and B team, but I could be wrong about that. The girl we know is in the "two a day" L8 group. This L8 group is very young -- the gymnast we know is barely 10 years old and according to the mom falls near the middle of the pack in terms of age. Sounds like a good percentage of her group are there solely to pursue their gymnastics dreams at WCC (e.g., many live in a nearby apartment complex with one parent while the rest of the family remains in the home state). They have been happy with the coaching and describe it as more intense (although, if I'm being honest, her scores are nothing special this year). Facilities are described as beautiful. Overall they are currently happy. ** Again, this is second hand information so take it for what it's worth!

We went against Bull City a couple of weeks ago at a large meet -- their bars are absolutely stunning! Really impressive!

Good luck with your move!

If you are looking near Tampa, what about Lakewood Ranch? We have no firsthand knowledge, but have always heard good things. Derrian Gobourne is having an amazing freshman year at Auburn, and a little girl who went to elementary school with my son moved their as a level 4, and is now a second year level 10 as a freshman in high school.

WCC--their level 10's are killing it this year. Sounds like you're used to serious coaching so your dd can handle it. Texas Dreams produces a ton of elites and very successful at getting their girls into D1 programs. I would see which your daughter likes better, one may be a better fit for her personality. I don't know who WOGA has coaching them now that Laurent left for WCC. I would also look into Everest if you're moving to the Charlotte area. The coaching is good even though controversial. You can't mess around at level 9--you need really good coaching and if your dd is used to top level teaching you should take the time to research and see what works best for her. A lot of girls fall behind on bars at that level, so look at who that coach is, you certainly won't have that issue at WCC or TD.

Dreams, Woga and WCC all have multiple groups/coaches at the various JO (and elite) levels. Regardless of the gym, make sure you are comfortable with your coaches and the group size offered to you.

Can speak to NC. First I'm not sure I'd "avoid Everest like the plague" as there are multiple sides to every story, a lot of which has been discussed in a quite lengthy thread here. I will say that their 8/9 team appears very small this year but they have some amazing 10s. This would be about the only place in NC to seriously chase elite, though that doesn't appear to be the goal.

Southeastern is a highly established NCAA prep gym. Their history and placed athletes speak for themselves. They have quite large teams at most optional levels and some of the best 10s in Region 8. I'm unaware of their schooling scenario.

Bull City is "newer" but their 10s are scoring very well and lower levels have some very bright spots, though the 8/9 teams are smaller than the 10 team right now. They may still need to build a brand from an NCAA perspective but they're on their way. They have a high-hour track with embedded proctored online schooling that people like.

Durham and Charlotte are far apart, and if you land in either city I wouldn't hesitate to stay local as either gym could yield success. I guess my point is if you live in Durham, I wouldn't necessarily travel to Southeastern, and vice versa. Where exactly would you land if NC?

Can speak to NC. First I'm not sure I'd "avoid Everest like the plague" as there are multiple sides to every story, a lot of which has been discussed in a quite lengthy thread here. I will say that their 8/9 team appears very small this year but they have some amazing 10s. This would be about the only place in NC to seriously chase elite, though that doesn't appear to be the goal.

Southeastern is a highly established NCAA prep gym. Their history and placed athletes speak for themselves. They have quite large teams at most optional levels and some of the best 10s in Region 8. I'm unaware of their schooling scenario.

Bull City is "newer" but their 10s are scoring very well and lower levels have some very bright spots, though the 8/9 teams are smaller than the 10 team right now. They may still need to build a brand from an NCAA perspective but they're on their way. They have a high-hour track with embedded proctored online schooling that people like.

Durham and Charlotte are far apart, and if you land in either city I wouldn't hesitate to stay local as either gym could yield success. I guess my point is if you live in Durham, I wouldn't necessarily travel to Southeastern, and vice versa. Where exactly would you land if NC?

Thanks, we live in a totally different part of the country so whatever gym we choose we would live as close as possible to the gym! :)

Thanks, we live in a totally different part of the country so whatever gym we choose we would live as close as possible to the gym! :)

I'm sure you are thinking all of this through, but it puts tremendous pressure on a kid when you make life altering decisions based on what is really the leisure activity of a child. Maybe when you move present the new location as the best option for your family -- not the option that puts you closest to the best gym.

I'm sure you are thinking all of this through, but it puts tremendous pressure on a kid when you make life altering decisions based on what is really the leisure activity of a child. Maybe when you move present the new location as the best option for your family -- not the option that puts you closest to the best gym.

Absolutely right and we have 2 other kids we are planning for as well, it is all a big giant analysis effort. What I don’t want to happen is get her into a gym that works for the area we want and she hates it. :) so all this feedback about the day to day modus operandi at this different gyms helps tremendously! Thank you all

That's a serious accusation about something that it doesn't seem like you know much about. I have heard good things about Everest. First hand information would be best in helping her make her decision.
I haven’t made any accusations. I was very clear that my knowledge is secondhand.

I recognize that this would be expensive, but, have you thought about taking your daughter to visit some of the gyms? You may be able to do a short trial at several.

One good thing about the Texas area gyms: there are so many gyms in the Houston / Dallas area that you could switch if she becomes unhappy.

I recognize that this would be expensive, but, have you thought about taking your daughter to visit some of the gyms? You may be able to do a short trial at several.

One good thing about the Texas area gyms: there are so many gyms in the Houston / Dallas area that you could switch if she becomes unhappy.

Absolutely! You're so right. Will have to really narrow down before then I think but yes. :)

I would also add that you should move based on your family's wants and needs, not gymnastics, gymnastics should be secondary. The sport is not forever, and an injury or loss of interest can happen and end that journey. Then you will have to continue regular life, so you should be happy where you are.

I would also add that you should move based on your family's wants and needs, not gymnastics, gymnastics should be secondary. The sport is not forever, and an injury or loss of interest can happen and end that journey. Then you will have to continue regular life, so you should be happy where you are.

You're right, I agree, but it is definitely one of the 15 factors we've got under consideration :)

I do not have current info about Bull City, but I do know several years ago all their upper level gymnasts were very young- as in we never saw high school age girls- not sure about the past few years though, but may be something to check out. Southeastern has an army of 9s and 10s and lots of NCAA girls and they only do L10, so you have no issues with the top coaches only coaching the elites or being gone for lots of camps/trainings/qualifiers/etc and their pacing is with goal of college so you don't have some of the burnout/peaking at younger ages which you see sometimes for girls with elite focus.

I have first hand experience with WCC.
They have teams broken up into groups with two coaches for each group. They same set of coaches stay with the same group as they move up Levels which is really nice.
I think they now have four groups. There are no A and B teams.They all work and get trained at the same level. They also have an on-site home school program if you want to go that way.
The girls are a fairly happy bunch of girls that are great friends with each other. All the optional coaches are the encourage type of coaches not the hard pressure type who the girls really like.
It is funny to see the coach who trains Simon doing body english to help one of the lower level girls get over the vault and then clapping hard when she makes it.
And the gym is great, check out their Facebook page to see some of it

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back