Parents Gym switch decision - deadline today!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Nick Ryan

Proud Parent
So, I’ll try and keep this as short as possible!

There is a rather lengthy back story to this which I can cover off later if necessary, however in the meantime I’d very much appreciate views of others.

Daughter is UK Grade 6, training for Grade 5 next March. She is 8 years young. Currently at average size gym split into 2 “sides” (old and new gym). It seems most gymnasts in groups/squads are mostly in the “new” part which has the floor, 3 beams, 1 uneven bars, 1 metal bar, a vault and a trampoline. She trains 3 times per week for a total of 9 hours.

Groups re-evaluated recently due to lack of coaches (which is part of the long story referred to) and basically my daughter has joined a new team, all of which are training for Grade 6 so, for want of a better word, our daughter is the most able. Coach seems nice and gets involved with the training, as you would expect. My gripe here is that there were only 3 spaces for the slightly more advanced group (still training for Grade 5) but daughter just missed the top 3 on re-evaluation. Lack of coaches is what caused this issue….as I say, long story! However due to the gym being smaller, at one point last weekend I witnessed 14 girls (yes 14!) waiting to use the ONE set of uneven bars with precedence seemingly being given to the “better” squad. I was furious. As I say, there are not enough coaches and clearly limited space and equipment.

Due to the long story referred to, we asked another gym for a trial. They saw my daughter last Wednesday and she trained for 4 hours with a couple of amazing elite girls. They offered her a place 3 times per week, for a total of 12 hours. Other gym has good rep, is much larger (i.e. 6 beams, floor, 2 runways/vault into pit), tumble track, god knows how many bars (including 1 over pit), etc.

Fast forward to yesterday, “other” gym agreed to let my daughter train for another 4 hours with the actual group she would be in. 8 girls total (including my daughter) but 3 different grades being trained for….6, 5 and 4.

“New” coach didn’t lend a hand once throughout the whole 4 hour session! She did say at the end that we probably thought it was an unusual session as the 7 other girls were all training for a comp this weekend (I am assuming levels but didn’t ask). I am assuming that’s why support not given? Anyway, as a result of the lack of help, my daughter got upset at one point as she couldn’t do certain moves and wasn’t being shown or helped.

My dilemma is this…daughter loves the actual “new” gym but said she didn’t like the coach! I am trying to reassure her that the lack of help was likely because she had 7 girls to focus on with their routines etc. for the weekend and that if she joined the group she would surely get the help and support she needs. The gym has a really good reputation and they frequently place well in the comps I’ve seen or read about in the past. I have no doubt my daughter would thrive there but fear this initial session has clouded her view and that she wouldn’t enjoy the sessions. She LOVES gymnastics and I wouldn’t want to force the move only to realise that in fact the coach never helps!

Anyway, it’s now been just over a week since the initial trial and the “new” gym need an answer TODAY as to whether we are joining or not. I don’t feel I can question the coaches methods based on 1 session but my daughter came home from that session saying she wanted to stay at her current gym.

Any views/comments/suggestions welcome!

Thank you.

Would this person be her main coach? I think it's fine to ask their teaching philosophy as well as spotting. My daughter moved gyms around that age and new gym does not spot much at all, but rather uses progressions and drills to advance thru the skills, so not as much spotting is needed. She adjusted fine after a few weeks.

Hi and thanks for replying.

Yes it would be her main coach. I'm not very experienced with different coaches so it's useful to hear your views. Thanks,.

Tough decision! My gut says that the better facilities will be more and more important in the coming years... I would switch - at 8, your dd will adjust, but it may take time.

Hi we went through a switch last year if you are thinking about moving her and current gyms doesn't address your concerns I would move, although when does your current gym start training for the grades in March some don't start until after Xmas our last one didn't train specifically grades until then

From your story I do think that this coach was indeed very busy with the other girls preparing for competition. I've seen it happen at our gym when a new kid was entered and the coach was really focused on athletes who had to compete, giving minimal attention to the new kid. When coach had a say in this (they didn't and new kid was entered through someone else), they would normally say come for a try out when competition is over. This makes me think a normal training would probably have worked out different for her. But.. whatever I may guess was the reason, why not ask the coach in question, explain that your daughter didn't feel supported and is having doubts because of it.

Put yourself in the coaches position for a moment, and what I am about to say may seem a bit rude/harsh but that is not my intention, more to give a perspective.

You have seven kids training for comps that you are trying to prepare - when I work comp routines their is very little spotting if any at all. The coaching priority that day is preparing the girls for comp, not fussing too much over some new kid who might join the group. Why sacrafice time from current members for a maybe. If you are happy with the gym and the quality of gymnastics of the intended group then I would make the switch.
I dont think the coaching on that day is an indication of how your dd will be trained when she is in the group and on the same comp schedule - its a pain having kids in the group who are not competing when the rest are which is probably why your dd tried with the other group initially.

Also look at it from the other side of the coin, how would you feel as a parent of one of the other kids if your dd was preparing for a comp and the coach was spending a lot of time with some new kid on a trial, dedication to the group is a good thing.

Hmmm. If the coach knew she was going to be focused on preparing the 7 girls for the comp, I'm wondering why she agreed/wanted to do the trial that day instead of suggesting you wait a few days until after the competition? That way you and your DD could see what a "regular class" is like as opposed to being a third wheel in this competition prep class.

And now here the new gym is pressuring you to make a decision based on a class that may or may not be nothing like what your daughter would experience?

Although the new gym sounds like a better place overall cause of the equipment, if it were me I think I would have to talk to someone about your DDs concerns after that trial class w/ her would be actual coach. I don't know if I'd 100% trust that it won't always be like that. Also, do you know why are they pressuring you to make a decision so suddenly?

Put yourself in the coaches position for a moment, and what I am about to say may seem a bit rude/harsh but that is not my intention, more to give a perspective.

You have seven kids training for comps that you are trying to prepare - when I work comp routines their is very little spotting if any at all. The coaching priority that day is preparing the girls for comp, not fussing too much over some new kid who might join the group. Why sacrafice time from current members for a maybe. If you are happy with the gym and the quality of gymnastics of the intended group then I would make the switch.
I dont think the coaching on that day is an indication of how your dd will be trained when she is in the group and on the same comp schedule - its a pain having kids in the group who are not competing when the rest are which is probably why your dd tried with the other group initially.

Also look at it from the other side of the coin, how would you feel as a parent of one of the other kids if your dd was preparing for a comp and the coach was spending a lot of time with some new kid on a trial, dedication to the group is a good thing.

Completely agree with what you've said here. I too would probably have been slightly annoyed if the coach was spending all her time fussing over a new kid when comps are a few days away. I guess it was just unfortunate timing!

Anyway, rightly or wrongly, it seems the decision has been made.....my daughter has decided to stay where she is. Ultimately we want her to enjoy going to gym. Trying her best is the obvious thing to continue doing and the gym have confirmed they will be reassessing all the girls again at Christmas time so perhaps all will work out for now. I'm more frustrated with the lack of space/equipment issue than with any individuals....they are all very nice people...just want to give her the best we can. Perhaps we can revisit the situation again in a year or so.

Completely agree with what you've said here. I too would probably have been slightly annoyed if the coach was spending all her time fussing over a new kid when comps are a few days away. I guess it was just unfortunate timing!

Anyway, rightly or wrongly, it seems the decision has been made.....my daughter has decided to stay where she is. Ultimately we want her to enjoy going to gym. Trying her best is the obvious thing to continue doing and the gym have confirmed they will be reassessing all the girls again at Christmas time so perhaps all will work out for now. I'm more frustrated with the lack of space/equipment issue than with any individuals....they are all very nice people...just want to give her the best we can. Perhaps we can revisit the situation again in a year or so.

I don't have a lot of personal experience, but from being on this board for the last 4 years it seems that people who are thinking about switching gyms but decide against it, end up switching anyway later and usually regret not switching sooner. It's up to you and your DD of course, and I really hope it will work out, and the gym will resolve all your concerns, but some of those are very valid concerns, so keep an eye on things and trust you gut and mommy's intuition. Good luck!

I don't have a lot of personal experience, but from being on this board for the last 4 years it seems that people who are thinking about switching gyms but decide against it, end up switching anyway later and usually regret not switching sooner. It's up to you and your DD of course, and I really hope it will work out, and the gym will resolve all your concerns, but some of those are very valid concerns, so keep an eye on things and trust you gut and mommy's intuition. Good luck!

Or rather "daddy's intuition", sorry, looks like OP is a dad. :)

Thanks all for your input. I've been stalking these forums for a while and it's really helpful to be able to have a vent and hear others opinions.

You're very likely right about that. I have little doubt we will be reconsidering the position again in a year or maybe less. Obviously the main hope is progression even though the gym is smaller and, as I said, there are some concerns regards equipment availability.

Perhaps we can revisit the situation again in a year or so.

it seems that people who are thinking about switching gyms but decide against it, end up switching anyway later and usually regret not switching sooner. I
This was me. Just my opinion from a BTDT standpoint. I can pm you details of the journey of Puma Jr if you like, but I don't want to bore those who have already heard it! Lol Good luck! :)

No good coach would have done anything different, they are running routines to prepare for competition and if she is capable of routines at the level you think she is, she should be able to do them without help. If not that is a sign she will likely need to be at the lower level which is fine. Gymnastics is progressive. Many good coaches do not spot. The kids do progressive drills which they have to pass in order to do harder things. When it is time for competition they focus on doing routines with the coach watching as a judge would. Usually spotting is for body positions and to avoid a child falling off the apparatus, not to help a child complete a skill. If this is a good gym, then I would assume on a normal day the coach spots for body positions a lot. But the week before a competition is different. You practice the situations of competition.

When you say heading for grade 5 do you know what track she is on ? Compulsory, national or regional as that will make a huge difference to the answer to your question.
Also why does the switch have to be made today ? Do you pay termly ? Most non-rec classes here pay monthly.
Also depends where in the country you are as to what options would be best to explore.

I agree, if the coach is prepping for a comp then your daughter will not be a priority, however it is important that she likes and respects her coach to improve.

When you say heading for grade 5 do you know what track she is on ? Compulsory, national or regional as that will make a huge difference to the answer to your question.
e.

If she's 8 and is heading for grade 5 next year I'd say she won't be compulsory, as they wouldn't bother with 5, they'd go straight to comp 4. In fact lots of clubs I know skip 5 as it's not much different to 6 or 4 and has the knee breaking beam thing.

There are lots of us here in the UK with extensive knowledge of many gyms- It's a very small world :). If you want to PM I'm happy to put my 2p in, or refer you to someone else if it's one of the few areas I've never lived....

I was also going to ask why it has to be today? In the UK it's not like the US where you have to sign up for "the season"

All the nice new equipment in the world will never make up for poor coaching. The quality of the coach is the single most important factor in developing gymnasts to their own potential.

What was the quality of the other girls gymnastics like? This can help you see how good the coach is.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back