Parents Gym switch update - tried our first gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

NGL780309

So I posted last week that we have decided to switch gyms. DD tried out at one last weekend, but she wasn't there for practice. Well this past week she went to a different gym and practiced with them.

I was very nervous because when I called about trying out and explained that DD had been in level 4 since March, but hadn't competed because she's only 5 the coach sounded very skeptical. Basically that they hadn't had kids her age in Level 4. She asked me several times if she could actually do the Level 4 routines. I was nervous because I wasn't sure how DD would perform. She's very shy and it's a big change. I had visions of her going and standing in the middle of the floor crying or just some other strange reaction. They have 2 groups of Level 4's and the coach had DD try out with the better level 4's. Basically the ones that will go to Level 5 in January.

Much to my relief DD did amazing! I can honestly say that I've never seen my child look so awesome. She did things I've never seen her do. Watching her try so hard to do everything to the best of her ability confirmed my suspicion that DD needs to move on. Her current gym expects so little and offers her no corrections so she slops through everything. When put with a group of girls that just finished competing their 2nd year of level 4, she rose to their level. I knew she was capable of having beautiful form, but because nobody else does it and nobody asks her to do it, she doesn't. I've never seen her be so tight and clean and focused. I also think she really wanted them to let her be on their team so she was trying really hard to do her best.

I was sold on the gym after one practice, but we are going to practice their all next week and then still probably try a few other gyms.

The cons were the distance. It took me almost 40 minutes to get there. I took 1 wrong turn so that was probably an extra 5 minutes. It was mainly just traffic. The road was under construction so I know once that's fixed it will be less. I really didn't see any other cons at the moment. It's actually $40 cheaper per month too and the meets fees are less. They paid around $300 for all their meets due to a better booster club and more girls to split the cost. Our team paid around $700.

Here's all the things I liked:

-They actually helped/watched the girls during warm-ups and corrected their form, stretched them etc. (DD's gym they are unsupervised and they really need to be so they square their splits etc)
- They did 5x the work in a rotation. Seriously! DD typically will vault 3 times. I stopped counting at 15 vaults. The groups were smaller and they just used the time smarter. They had 3 vaults set up and they rotated to each one within the vault rotation. A Lv 4 vault station, a Lv 5 vault station and then another drill. I could type everything I loved on every event, but to sum it up, it was very organized and they used every minute.
-The coaches were on every little thing and fixing the tiniest detail. It was exactly what I was wanting out of a gym and kept expecting from ours.
-DD actually could vault! They vault on just the level 4 mat without all the extra mats. DD normally would just struggle to make it and here they could focus on her form. It was great.
-The actually set her up where she could reach the bar! What a concept. She worked on her kips and did great. After practice the coach said she is very close and closer than her girls! The coach was very impressed. DD was also the strongest on her squat on.

At the end of the night the coach said she was very excited about DD. She has all of her Level 4 skills and they just need to cleaned up. She has a great start on her Level 5 skills. I can't wait to see how this week goes and then try a few other gyms. I feel completely happy about leaving her old gym.

If your 5 year old is that good and motivated, the extra forty minutes is worth it. You'll feel so much better in a gym that teaches her to improve.

Sounds like a great gym! It sounds like your DD will be much happier with a new gym.

It sounds like a fabulous match to me.
If you can afford the extra time, then I'd say you've found a winner. I'm really happy for you both!! :):)

Sounds brilliant. If the coaches have high expectations and use their time smartly then your dd will progress well. I 'm so glad she had a great time. Sometimes you just don't know how the little ones will react in a new place - I so hear you on that one! good luck with others. Make sure you know which group they would actually put your dd with and what they will have her compete.

Sounds brilliant. If the coaches have high expectations and use their time smartly then your dd will progress well. I 'm so glad she had a great time. Sometimes you just don't know how the little ones will react in a new place - I so hear you on that one! good luck with others. Make sure you know which group they would actually put your dd with and what they will have her compete.

They had her try out with the L4's that are moving to L5 because that's the group the head coach mainly coaches and she wanted to see her. She will remain in Level 4 for another year. They have 2 groups of Level 4 girls. One group competes Achievement and one competes Placement. Basically a beginner group of Level 4's and an advanced group. If we choose this gym she will be put with the beginner Level 4's that competed Achievement this year, but that group will become the advanced Level 4's in January. So she will be in the advanced group starting in January. She will also be able to start competing in January after her 6th birthday and then compete the actual season next fall. The spring meets are just invitationals.

As long as my first post was, I didn't even write everything I wanted to share because the kiddos were bugging me to take them trick or treating.

One thing the coach told me after practice was that DD had the wrong hand placement on her handstand on beam. I guess DD does her handstand with just her thumbs on the top of the beam and her fingers around the beam. She said she will need to change that immediately because it isn't safe.

The coach also talked to about how while DD has great skills, especially for only being 5, that she was more interested in her coachability. Could she make corrections, would she make corrections etc. She said DD did very well. She said she was able to quickly fix the things asked of her. She wasn't resistant to change and she only had to ask her once and she'd do it immediately.

I can't tell you how great it was to feel like DD was actually coached. Everything was set up so that the coach could see everything the kids were doing. The girls were being goofy and having fun, but they were also working constantly. I know it was only one practice, but their girls look so good at meets so I know that one practice is indicative of how practice normally is.

We will probably still try other gyms just because I want to make an informed decision. Unless we go for this week and it's just so obvious that this is the place. DD is already convinced and very excited to go today.

We will probably still try other gyms just because I want to make an informed decision. Unless we go for this week and it's just so obvious that this is the place. DD is already convinced and very excited to go today.

When we switched we pretty much planned to this same thing. Midget had other ideas. She put her foot down and we never tried another gym. And now we know she was right. So pay attention to her too, even if she is just 5 :rolleyes:

Sounds wonderful! When my DD switched gyms, she only tried out at one, she loved it, it was close and it worked for us. I did investigate other gyms, watching their girls and coaches at meets, checking prices, etc, but since we didn't have any other choices as close as this gym, we were sold.

Good luck deciding!

Glad you liked the gym! What did your daughter think of it? Does she want to go back? Does she like working harder? And I agree with someone else--the extra drive is worth it to get to a gym that your daughter loves.

on the flip side (and not to be a negative nanny), a 40 minute drive for Lvl 4 is probably 2 nights a week. Have you considered as she grows in the program and becomes attached to the new gym, how a 40 minute drive 4-5 nights a week will affect all involved?

Some may be ok with it, my family not so much.

Just thought I would throw that out there...food for thought.

Sounds like everything will work out with the new gym. When my dd was 5 she hated long car rides. She would have never made 40 minutes each way. Kudos to your dd for that :).

Glad you liked the gym! What did your daughter think of it? Does she want to go back? Does she like working harder? And I agree with someone else--the extra drive is worth it to get to a gym that your daughter loves.

She loves it and doesn't even want to try another gym. I don't think she really noticed she was working any harder. The good news about the drive is that it only took me around 30 minutes the second day. I had taken a wrong turn the first day and also the traffic was better the second day. I teach at a school about 15 minutes away and I have the option of taking DD to school with me next year which would make it really close.

I teach at a school about 15 minutes away and I have the option of taking DD to school with me next year which would make it really close.

Sounds like a great fit in every aspect :)

on the flip side (and not to be a negative nanny), a 40 minute drive for Lvl 4 is probably 2 nights a week. Have you considered as she grows in the program and becomes attached to the new gym, how a 40 minute drive 4-5 nights a week will affect all involved?

Some may be ok with it, my family not so much.

Just thought I would throw that out there...food for thought.

It's actually 3 nights right now. For the next level they add Saturday, which on a Saturday the drive would probably be around 15-20 minutes without the traffic.

The good news was that the drive only took me 30 minutes the second time. I didn't get lost and the traffic was a bit better. The first day knowing I had to turn right, but not knowing when I stayed in the right lane to be ready. I was able to get around some of that the second day. Also we have two friends that go there and we are working on a carpool situation. I know I can't count on that, but it's nice to have. I was surprised that the second day it really wasn't much different than DD's old gym. We lived pretty close, but at that time of day in traffic it took me around 20 minutes because it was all lights. This way is more freeway so while it's further it wasn't that different time wise.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back