Parents Gym Switching at top levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Midwestmommy

Proud Parent
I just did a quick look at the top 20 all scorers at JO Nationals. It appears a little more than half of them switched gyms at levels 7, 8, 9 or 10 (many at 9 and 10).

I looked at some of the top gyms from our region, and from a couple others, and for many of them the team of girls they took to nationals were less than 33% "homegrown"--more than 2/3 switched gyms at levels 7, 8, 9, or 10.

Not saying this is a bad thing, people will flock to places where they perceive success and successful coaches--but it is something to think about. Take heart if a particular gym is telling your kids they aren't cut out for their compulsory JO team....well most of their top Level 10 kids come from compulsories somewhere else. Just more reason to really think about what is the best fit for your own young kid to enjoy the sport and to acheive their potential, the answer may not be looking at elite and Level 10s at a particular gym at this point in your journey...

I totally agree! We just went through a gym switch and DH and I spent countless hours agonizing over whether it was the best decison. Much of it was for financial reasons but there where some other reasons as well. Switching gyms Is so difficult and we worried that we could be making the wrong choice but in the end we decided that what's most important is what's best for our kids right now at this point in their gymnastics journey. The decsion we made we feel is ultimately what is best at this moment in time. It may not be the best decison 5 years from now or it may still be but we decided to cross that bridge when we come to it. Right now I want my kids to be happy doing a sport they love. It's a long, long road ahead!

Interesting perspective....and glad you made this observation. Recently I've put a lot of thought into how much better are these very competitive gym programs really when the very talented gymnasts are leaving their home gyms and building up the talent pool of the top gyms. It sure makes the top gyms look good and unbeatable, and one less opportunity for the home gym to develop a successful gymnast.

So I guess the question is whether your gymnast is ever better off moving gyms and being just one of many where the talented all flock, or staying put to meet her goals as a homegrown gymnast.

Also remember that a lot of gyms can produce excellent Level 7-8. But Levels 9 and 10 require a lot harder skills. Some of those gyms are equipped well to coach those skills, while others are not. It is very common to see changing occurring at Level 9 and up to bigger gyms. Home grown isn't always the best indicator of good Level 9/10 or above coaching. I know of quite a few ahhhhhmazing gyms for Levels 8& under, it gets a little trickier at 9&up. Just because a kid goes to another gym at those high levels doesn't mean that the gym that they move to is stealing the talent, it just means that they knew what to do with the talent. Reasons for moving gyms can vary from job change to more conducive coaching to a specific learning style. I've seen gym moves be the best thing for a child to the worst decision ever. Any gym that turns out National Champions is doing a great job whether they inherited the talent or not.

Some gyms with great lower level teams don't have much, if any, representation at the higher ranks. There are a few gyms like this in our area. The reasons for this vary -- lack of coaching/expertise at the higher level, lack of equipment, not enough girls to make a "team", etc.

Also remember that a lot of gyms can produce excellent Level 7-8. But Levels 9 and 10 require a lot harder skills. Some of those gyms are equipped well to coach those skills, while others are not. It is very common to see changing occurring at Level 9 and up to bigger gyms. Home grown isn't always the best indicator of good Level 9/10 or above coaching. I know of quite a few ahhhhhmazing gyms for Levels 8& under, it gets a little trickier at 9&up. Just because a kid goes to another gym at those high levels doesn't mean that the gym that they move to is stealing the talent, it just means that they knew what to do with the talent. Reasons for moving gyms can vary from job change to more conducive coaching to a specific learning style. I've seen gym moves be the best thing for a child to the worst decision ever. Any gym that turns out National Champions is doing a great job whether they inherited the talent or not.

Exactly! My dd switched gyms after L9. Her old gym had a strong compulsory program and she did well up to the point of leaving. Problem was the old gym did not have the equipment needed to train more difficult skills (no pits, equipment that was in need of updating and repair...the bare minimum) and was also going to be loosing her main coach. She was also the only girl her level there and needed a team atmosphere. She needed to move to a gym with pits and experienced high level coaches and girls at her level. Not only is it lonely competing by yourself (it's also crappy if no one else in your rotation has the same bar settings.....makes warm ups very harsh), AND if you are looking for scholarships it is beneficial to move to a gym that has established collegiate connections. A gym that has those connections is very important.

I can tell you that I switched my daughter when she was already a multi year level 10 because she had outgrown her original gym... she needed skills that they couldn't teach her and they weren't willing to get people who could teach her, so we moved to a gym that was capable. Did we want to move? No, but was it necessary? Absolutely...and she ended up getting the skills she was missing at the new gym

You make the best decisions you can for your needs at the time. Gyms strengths and weakness are different and suit different people

Reminded of season, reason, lifetime.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back