Gymnast Landing on toes out of Round-off

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a level 4 going 5 gymnast that has her round-off backhandspring. While she can do it, it's not pretty by anymeans. Even though i do not believe she is ready to advance to level 5, she is being moved up. We are working on fixing her roundoff flip flop and multiple back handsprings. One of the major problems with this skill is that she lands on her toes out of the round off. I have no idea how to fix this! Any drills or suggestions? Any help would be appreciated! :)

I think she *should* be landing on her toes in order to rebound correctly. She is probably having trouble getting her chest up off the floor and needs to work on blocking. Is she bending her knees when she lands her roundoff?

When she lands her knees are bent, and over her toes. It's really awkward looking, she looks like she is on high releve when she lands. Her blocking in it is weak for sure. Do you know of any drills besides roundoffs over a pannel to help correct this? We also catch her walking on her toes a lot as well, rather than just walking normal.

The bent knees are an issue, likely causing her to go in a weird position in order to make it over with her knees in front of her ankles. I would try cartwheel step ins landing in the correct. Also, she may have short achilles. Work on calf and achilles stretches. Also, roundoff back handspring off something (hands on the edge of a 8" surface, feet land on the floor and do the BHS from there.

Round offs onto an 8" mat... hands go on floor, feet land on the mat
Round offs into a resi pit where hands go on a folded panel mat then they land on their back. Basically trying to miss their feet.
Handstand on the edge of a panel mat to snap down to a hollow shape.
I also really like the cartwheel step ins. I always take the kids I work with back to the cartwheel if the round offs are not quite right.
I agree with all the posts so far in that she should be landing on the balls of her feet to get the proper rebound.

i also do cartwheel blocks (with roundoff hands) and then ask the kids to do cartwheel - block- step ins. also do straight leg jump rope, as I find that hard for kids, but once they master it, it transfers over to roundoffs easier

A drill I really like is similar to one mentioned above. handstand onto a small block (1ft or so), snap down to rebound onto the block to feet (more for backtucks) or snap down to rebound backwards. if she gets good at these you could spot a backhandspring immediately out of it.
You mentioned she is not blocking very much. Something that reminds me to push off the floor is to 'point' my fingers towards the floor immediately after pushing off. like exaggerating the pushing motion all the way through the arm to the fingers. this works for bump off vault as well.
I hope that makes sense, good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back