WAG Gymnast who doesn't really like gymnastics but refuses to quit

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At 10, she's at an age when a lot of kids start to realize they can actually get hurt. I had read somewhere there's a philosophy of gymnastics coaching where they try to teach them as many big skills as possible while still pre-puberty, before fear kicks in. So maybe the age, but maybe also her level. At level six, things start to get crazy skill-wise. Real scary, risky stuff. I personally knew several gymnasts who quit around age 10-12/ level 6/7. Also they start to really compare themselves to other girls. With my daughter the comparison thing is a bit delayed because of the spectrum disorder, but the concept of risk and injury is definitely kicking in. Although mine is in xcel silver so skills are still pretty basic. Just some food for thought.
after reading another post saying a lot of the same things, i'm realizing it is the age/level. and the HC at our gym said the same thing about getting those skills in sooner vs. later. dd was slated to be in the homeschool group starting this fall but quit. she didn't want to homeschool and she felt it was too much time in the gym and she wasn't sure if she wants to do it long term. i would love for her to go over to xcel. i think it would be a perfect fit for her right now. she'd go over as platinum, i think, with the exception of her not having a lvl 8 vault yet. it would be a step back but she wouldn't have to give it up entirely. it's going over like a lead balloon though. haha

Also they start to really compare themselves to other girls.

The comparison thing can be a real issue. My daughter really started to compare herself to her teammates right when she turned 9. She was only L3 at the time, but this plus some issues she had with her coach set off a nine-month downward spiral. She finally began to learn to judge herself by her own standards, but it was a rough few months for the entire family. She never expressed a desire to quit, but I thought about it on a daily basis.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back