Parents Gymnastics After Ear Pinning

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gym Rat

Proud Parent
Hello. my daughter is scheduled for Otoplasty (ear pinning) in a few weeks. I am just wondering if anyone else has had that done and how long it took for your athlete to get back to gym? My understanding is that it is two weeks of rest and physical contact sports would need to be avoided longer but I don't know where gymnastics would fit into that. She is an 8 yr old training 18 hours a week so she will be missing a good chunk of training. Thanks

She's 8. Let her have the two weeks off at least and go from there.

a) it won't make a slight bit of difference to her gymnastics long term.
b) gyms are filthy places - foam, dust, bits of carpet fibre, none of which you want near a wound site. An infection will keep her out the gym far longer.
c) even putting her arms above her head is going to knock her ears. you don't want to damage or undo the surgeons work.
d) an operation is stressful, anaesthetic drugs make you feel like crap. Don't underestimate the need to heal psychologically too. Her mind will need rest.

Play it cautious. She'll heal faster and with fewer complications, and be back to full strength quicker.

oh and

e) don't make gymnastics more important than her health and healing. Next time she has an injury she'll feel she has to train through it. Time off and recovery isn't given enough importance.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back