Parents Gymnastics and diabetes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

Leesa

I am new to the forum and have a question for the parents out there. My daughter is 8 and has type 1 diabetes. We are trying to find a balance between blood sugar and performing at her best. Would appreciate any suggestions or advice from experience.

Leesa---can't tell you anything from personal experience. We do have 1 girl on the L7 team who is diabetic and she's been doing gymnastics for 7+ years. It is a juggling act to be sure. I know my gymmie has learned alot about diabetes just from helping out her teammate. The girls will get her "med kit" so she can check her blood sugars or get her something if her sugar is getting a little too low. All the coaches are aware of current treatment plans and know what to do to help her or when to call her parents.

Of course each kid is different and this girl had a little bit of a rocky season health wise with increasing practice hours plus a growth spurt.

Just wanted to say WELCOME! No advice, other than maybe your Pediatrition (or diabetic teaching center) would be able to create a plan to balance both for your DD. And, also making sure coaches know & are educated in diabetes in case your DD shows signs of hi or low sugar or insulin problem.

Last edited:
sorry I have no clue to your question as I hae never delt with this!
good luck hopefully someone can help you out!

Welcome

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back