WAG Gymnastics and passion

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymisforeveryone

Coach
Judge
Today I realized something. I realized that gymnastics is the only thing in my life that has always stayed and made me smile. I'm 20 years old and I started gym as a 6 year old. I did rec gymnastics for many many years because there wasn't a competitive program in my area. My mother was one of the coaches. She did gym as a child and started coaching very young.

Even as a young child I noticed I was different to others in my gym group. We all liked gymnastics but I loved it. When the others were happy with one hour weekly class I did gymnastics at home and at kindergarten. I still remember when I "coached" 3 and 4 year old kids at kindergarten and spotted their handstands.... As a six year old! I was never very good at gymnastics but I think that that was the reason that kept me in it. I was so good at school it never gave me any challenges. Gym did. A lot.

When I became a little older they started a competitive group in my club. I joined, of course. Me and dozen of other girls pretty much my age became a family. We didn't have much practices, not good equipment and the coaches were volunteering mums mostly, but we went to competitions and had so good time. We didn't win the girls from other fine clubs but we didn't care. I'm still very good friend with all of these girls.

I always wanted to become a coach. I coached other kids of the neighborhood. I always made everyone play gym with me. At 11 years old I started to assistant my mother when she coached beginners. I loved it! I loved helping kids and making them enjoy gymnastics. At 14 I got my own group. I spent hours planning practices, searching information and reading books about coaching and gymnastics.

Last year I moved from my home town to a bigger city to study in university. I immediately started coaching here and I'm like in heaven now. I coach 6 different groups, rec, preteam and team for 17 hours a week. I love being in gym more than anything!! I have found so many good coach friends here and I adore my girls so much I could ever imagine I'd quit. The only problem is that now I have put coaching firsts, studying second.

Now I watch one of my girls at gym. She's 15 years old and so much like me when I was at her age. I see myself in her. She never misses practices. She's shy and quiet like I was as a child. But she gives everything to this sport. I think it may be because she stared so late. She has to work twice as hard as her peers. She's also extremely good at school and I think gymnastics gives her those challenges it gave to me also. She got a summer job as a assistant coach and she'll be coaching preschoolers with me and few other older coaches. I can see her being involved in this sport for many many years more. And the most fun and amazing thing is that we will share the journey. I hope I'll see her and her teammates grow up and become young adults.

I'm happy if someone read my post. I just had to come and tell someone how grateful I am I found this sport. I'm so HAPPY now when I can do this all the time and I'm even paid for it. I spend my evenings reading chalk bucket and watching gymnastics videos. If I have two days off gym I become crazy and feel unhealthy. I need gym. It's my thing. I can't breath for long without it.

I would love to hear your stories. How did gymnastics became your passion and your almost whole life?

Before I joined gym as a 12 year old, I taught myself the basics outside on the playground: handstands, cartwheels, roundoffs, walkovers and even a back hipcircle on the monkey bars.

I had a drive for gym from the start which only increases as I go up in the levels (I am now a Provincial 3 competitive gymnast).

I also coach. I am in the gym every single day! I love the sport so much & have a desire to improve and learn more, not only with training, but I want to be a certified coach and certified judge. I want to learn about T&T also.

I'm fifteen & seem to be a lot like her. Keep her learning & interested as much as possible :)

I was a dancer when I was 5 since I always did spins and dances everywhere. I did that until I was 6 1/2-7, I wanted to do competition because I got super bored because I caught on to everything so quick I hated waiting all the time. So, to compete you needed to do a ballet class, so I tried it and hated it so much! I couldn't stand it! Then I was watching TV and I saw a commercial for my gym and begged my mom to let me go. So, she lwet me do rec and it all took off from there. I've been in love with it ever since even though it doesn't always love me back:) I have come to every open gym, stayed healthy so I don't have to miss practice, I have been good about not cheating on conditioning and everything. Even now, I do turns and handstands EVERYWHERE! But, I love it so much:) Recently, I picked up diving, and I love it almost as much as gym!
Now, I'm 14 and a level 9 gymmie and a varsity diver:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back