Parents Gymnastics Body Type?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

KaseyLT

Proud Parent
Thanks for the add to this forum. I'm a fairly new gymnastics parent- my DD is 10 and has been doing gymnastics for about 2 years. She is not yet at competition level, but she has been steadily learning & growing and she hopes to compete one day. She is passionate about it and would rather be doing gymnastics than anything else- I'm always telling her to get off our pull-up bar (or stop doing handstands or kick-overs or whatever) and do her homework! She's just very active and she loves the challenge of gymnastics.

Last night after her practice I asked DD's coach what she can do at home to better be prepared for class (since she's always doing stuff anyway). The coach asked me if DD wants to compete or just wants to do it for fun. I told her that she does want to compete eventually. The coach asked DD to let us talk privately, so DD left and then the coach said, "I'm going to be honest with you, she doesn't really have the body type for gymnastics. Her body is just really long and awkward."

Here's the thing: I'm not having dreams of her competing in the Olympics or anything, but it seems to me that if a girl works hard and gets the training she needs she could hold her own at least on the local level if she really wants to compete. The reason her coach's statement bothers me is that I've gotten the impression from this coach that she doesn't really like DD all that much and she is not very encouraging to her, and I feel like she thinks DD just isn't worth her trouble. I'm tempted to go to another gym, but I also don't want to be a parent who just can't accept the truth about her child's aptitude for the sport.

My question is this: Are we wasting our time here? Should I steer my daughter toward something else? I don't want to discourage her from doing something she loves, but I also don't want her to work her butt off only to be shut out from competition because of something she can't control. Advice, please!

Aww, man. That had to have been hard to hear. I will say that long body doesn't always equal awkward so ruling her out based on height alone wouldn't be cool. On the other hand, there are some kiddos who are in deed awkward and not very coordinated. Since we can't observe her, its impossible to know if she is just long or both. But like Gym Beam said, I'd have to try and support my daughter either way and it sounds like that gym isn't willing to do the same. Good Luck!

Take her somewhere else. There are all sorts of bodies doing gymnastics and there are all sorts of coaches/ you just happened upon one that isn't a good fit for your girl. I'm sure you can find a more welcoming environment at another gym.

:( Ouch. Try another gym. Don't just enroll her somewhere else willy-nilly. Call around and be honest - tell them your DD's age, how long she's been in the sport, and her current abilities. Let them know she's interested in team, and ask whether they might have a path for her.

From what I've learned, it's really more about body awareness. I'd have her evaluated at another local gym or two and see if they agree with the coach. I'm sure it hurt to hear, but on the off chance he's not-so-tactfully trying to gently ease you guys down, at least he's being honest and allowing you to find a new path for your DD, rather than stringing you along.

For what it's worth, there are all sorts of body types in this sport. Some smaller kids are super uncoordinated. My DS is on the "solid" end for a gymmie, and he just competed a decent season. You never know. :)

:( Ouch. Try another gym. Don't just enroll her somewhere else willy-nilly. Call around and be honest - tell them your DD's age, how long she's been in the sport, and her current abilities. Let them know she's interested in team, and ask whether they might have a path for her.

From what I've learned, it's really more about body awareness. I'd have her evaluated at another local gym or two and see if they agree with the coach. I'm sure it hurt to hear, but on the off chance he's not-so-tactfully trying to gently ease you guys down, at least he's being honest and allowing you to find a new path for your DD, rather than stringing you along.

For what it's worth, there are all sorts of body types in this sport. Some smaller kids are super uncoordinated. My DS is on the "solid" end for a gymmie, and he just competed a decent season. You never know. :)

Thanks so much to everyone for your input. Honestly, I'm no expert, but the things that she really has down- her cartwheels, handstands, and kickovers- she looks very graceful doing them (I think). She always does a solid salute after every skill as well. I really wish she had her other coach still- he was very enthusiastic, very encouraging for the kids. This current coach never smiles, I have seen her roll her eyes at the girls, and she has even told my daughter "I'm not even going to tell you," after she's done a skill incorrectly. My daughter then leaves class in tears saying, "How am I supposed to know what to do if she won't tell me?" As a parent, obviously that doesn't sit well with me.

There is another gym (that's a lot cheaper, actually) that I'd like to try. First I do want to talk with the lady who does some of the scheduling and billing at our current gym who has always been very positive and supportive of both of my girls and ask what she thinks. She also fills in as a coach sometimes. She also has influence with the gym owners (and she's in her 50s while DD's coach is in her 20s, so I think she has a better perspective). I just think they should know what this coach told me and the way she's been treating my daughter in class, and I want this lady's opinion on the "body type" question.

I guess my my main thing is that it's ONLY this one coach at this gym. All the rest we've worked with have been amazing (and the coach my daughter LOVES- and I do too- is a team coach as well). Hmm...maybe I should talk to him and find out what he thinks. He worked with DD the first year and a half...

Ugh! This stuff is so hard!

Is this coach a rec coach? Team coach? What sort of influence does she have in choosing who ends up on team? Before jumping to the next gym right away, I'd ask to speak with the head coach of the team and go from there. That way you'll know if that one coach's opinion is a one off, or if it's reflective of the whole program.

I'm curious what the gym owners will think when they find out a coach of theirs is disparaging athletes to the point of needlessly losing good business.

If it's just this one coach I'd have a discussion with the gym owners and see whether they can move your daughter to another coach or show that one coach the door.

I'm curious what the gym owners will think when they find out a coach of theirs is disparaging athletes to the point of needlessly losing good business.

If it's just this one coach I'd have a discussion with the gym owners and see whether they can move your daughter to another coach or show that one coach the door.

Yes, I'm going to be talking with one of the ladies in charge there. I do happen to know that this instructor is the only one who teaches the classes at DD's level, so I don't think I'd be able to move her to another instructor, which stinks. Honestly, all the other instructors at this gym have been great- I hate that we might have to move because of one bad apple.

Reactions: sce
Is this coach a rec coach? Team coach? What sort of influence does she have in choosing who ends up on team? Before jumping to the next gym right away, I'd ask to speak with the head coach of the team and go from there. That way you'll know if that one coach's opinion is a one off, or if it's reflective of the whole program.

I agree, but this instructor is the only one who teaches DD's level at this gym. The next level for her would be team. But I would like a team coach's opinion as well. I may ask about that.

Gymnastics is not a sport that excludes body types or abilities, coaches do.....
there are programs and coaches out there that do not believe in exclusion. Look for something else, you may be surprised at what you find out about her abilities.

Amen to this! ^^^

My kiddo started at 8...not a natural. Not super flexible. Not the tightest gymnast is an understatement. But who cares! She loves the sport and like most kids in sports is not looking to take this past highschool. But wants to compete and work hard and reach HER potential and luckily we've had her at gyms that support her. I'd definitely look into your options. Some gyms just get all caught up in themselves and miss the bigger picture and benefits of the sport.

Each gym has a different criteria for selecting the gymnasts on their team. Depending on the goals of their team and the space available the criteria will be different.

Some gyms will accept gymnasts who have the skills and work hard regardless of age, body types etc. other gyms will need to narrow the pool of talent further and look for the optimum body type for gymnastics etc. tpThat does not mean that girls without the optimum body or can't be successful and amazing gymnasts, it's just a way of narrowing down the pool.

One big thing to consider is that yiur DD is already 10. Many gyms don't accept kids at this age or later into their comp teams and that could also be the case in your current gym. This coach may have felt more comfortable saying that she is to long than that she is too old. She may be 11 or 12 by the time she has the skills to compete and the entry level comp class may be full of 6 and 7 year olds.

Take a look at your gyms team and see where the kids are who are her age. Are their older kids in the lower levels or just younger ones? If they are just younger then the odds are this gym won't take her on.

Amen to this! ^^^

My kiddo started at 8...not a natural. Not super flexible. Not the tightest gymnast is an understatement. But who cares! She loves the sport and like most kids in sports is not looking to take this past highschool. But wants to compete and work hard and reach HER potential and luckily we've had her at gyms that support her. I'd definitely look into your options. Some gyms just get all caught up in themselves and miss the bigger picture and benefits of the sport.

This is very reassuring, thank you!

Each gym has a different criteria for selecting the gymnasts on their team. Depending on the goals of their team and the space available the criteria will be different.

Some gyms will accept gymnasts who have the skills and work hard regardless of age, body types etc. other gyms will need to narrow the pool of talent further and look for the optimum body type for gymnastics etc. tpThat does not mean that girls without the optimum body or can't be successful and amazing gymnasts, it's just a way of narrowing down the pool.

One big thing to consider is that yiur DD is already 10. Many gyms don't accept kids at this age or later into their comp teams and that could also be the case in your current gym. This coach may have felt more comfortable saying that she is to long than that she is too old. She may be 11 or 12 by the time she has the skills to compete and the entry level comp class may be full of 6 and 7 year olds.

Take a look at your gyms team and see where the kids are who are her age. Are their older kids in the lower levels or just younger ones? If they are just younger then the odds are this gym won't take her on.

This is a really good point- thank you for this perspective.

This is very reassuring, thank you!

And she's about to score out of level 5 and go to l6 or Xcel so she's done pretty well and hung in there longer than a lot of kids. So will yours if she loves it and has coaches who support her!

I wouldn't steer your daughter away from gymnastics so much as away from that coach. Considering you aren't asking for the world here, aka elite or college, I don't see why body type should be an impediment.

My DD started rec gym in the last bit of 2013 (at 12.5 years old) and started competing in early 2014. She was completely "wrong" for gymnastics at first glance. Tall, skin and bones, old (lol), knobby kneed, not incredibly strong or flexible, and awkward. She does her thing anyway, and gymnastics is actually changing her body quite a bit. My DD isn't the highest scoring gymnast, but she's happy and in love with her sport. She's now training L7 and I am so glad that not everyone thought to point out how mismatched she is for this sport- although some were quick to- the gyms where she has trained just saw her enthusiasm and said, yup, we can work with that.

I am glad the coach chose to make the comment not around your dd BUT, leave that gym. Lots of kids compete, older or younger, taller or shorter, stocky or thin etc... So much to be gained from the experience if a coach beloved in your kid and trains them to be the best athlete that can be.

One of the things that I love about DD's HC is that she says "gymnastics is for everyone." And I think she really does believe it. I would say that DD's gym is highly competitive, and there are all different ways to be a part of the team there. If your DD loves gym, and wants to compete, then I would seek out other gyms in the area and see what the options are there. Good luck!

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back