Parents Gymnastics Body Type?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have 2 girls on team. One little tiny 7 year old and one taller 9 year old (4'3" which really is average, but when you compare to tiny girls she looks huge) last parent meeting the coach told me that my oldest is probably too tall for JO which shocked me considering she competed the last two seasons. I kind of ignored it because she works really hard and scores well. I hope they don't bring it up again.

To op I agree find a gym that will take her in at least as an xcel. Best of luck!

My now almost 14 year old was 4'3" at 9 and is now 5'2" and hasn't grown since November. She's just finished up 2nd year of level 8, hoping to move up to level 9 for next season. Yes, she's taller than her teammates, except one who is 5'5", but she does fine at meets. Ignore that coach! And if it becomes an issue, find a new gym. There are lots of tall gymnasts, even in college gym, some are very tall.

My now almost 14 year old was 4'3" at 9 and is now 5'2" and hasn't grown since November. She's just finished up 2nd year of level 8, hoping to move up to level 9 for next season. Yes, she's taller than her teammates, except one who is 5'5", but she does fine at meets. Ignore that coach! And if it becomes an issue, find a new gym. There are lots of tall gymnasts, even in college gym, some are very tall.

Love reading this! ! ♡

I love watching our level 9 and 10s at practice because they're proof that there's no one way a successful gymnast looks. We have short and spindly, tall and spindly, short and muscular, lots of average height girls, and one that, out there on the floor next to all the others, looks like an Amazon. Tall and very solidly built. They all do very well. It seems our gym picks girls at a young age who are coachable, with some aptitude for gym, and trusts their own abilities as coaches to see them though the journey regardless of what body type they end up having.

Love reading this! ! ♡

And I'm sure my daughter will grow a few more inches and she'll have to adjust like they always do when they grow. I happen to love her long lines.

Google Sarie Morrison. She competed for LSU and is 5'9.

And Svetlana Khorkina was 5'5 and she was an Olympic athlete 3 times. Just proof that being tall doesn't mean you can't do gymnastics.

And especially to say a 9 year old might be too tall for JO? How do they know how she'll grow? My daughter had a friend outside of gym that was always tall for her age, much taller than kids her age. But she stopped growing by 12 and is now only 5'1 at 16 and seems to be done growing. Her shorter friends have surpassed her on height. So you never know!

My daughter is 4 ft 5 inches at 10 L6. She is second shortest on team and third shortest in her class.

I have 2 girls on team. One little tiny 7 year old and one taller 9 year old (4'3" which really is average, but when you compare to tiny girls she looks huge) last parent meeting the coach told me that my oldest is probably too tall for JO which shocked me considering she competed the last two seasons.

That is crazy. At 9 years 6 months, 51 inches is below the 25th percentile for height on the CDC chart--looks like it's around the 18th percentile. Even at 9 years 0 months, 51 inches is barely above the 25th percentile.

They are very tiny. .. funny though my 7 year old who is a few inches shorter outweighs each of them at 55lbs. Muscle of course :)

Glad the coach didn't discuss this in front of your DD. I echo others about finding a gym that will be supportive of her desires even if her body is the perfect "type" as some coaches may say.

Personally, I was told in my sport that I had all of the talent in to compete with the best in the world but my body type would hold me back. And it did! Nothing I could do at an elite status because I could not get my legs long and lean like others in my sport. But I moved to the top levels of my sport anyway, but couldn't be as competitive as others with a natural build for the sport.

I mention that because sometimes body type is a reality for elite success in sports. This obviously doesn't mean one can't compete and achieve a very high level, so find a gym that supports her, let her grow, have fun, compete and take her gymnastics as far as she can go as long as she loves it. Good luck!

I love hearing about all these tall gymmies! My daughter is in the 80th percentile for height at 7 years old and she's the tallest in her ballet and gymnastics classes. She's not yet a success story because she's still pre-pre-team but she's been promoted on that track and seems to be recognized for her hard work. She also has coordination issues but gymnastics has helped tremendously! No one ever suggests she might be a candidate for OT or PT and that was a thing about 3 years ago. It helps that she is strong and lean, but I know that there are gyms out there that would have confined her to rec. And she has wanted to do team ever since she heard about it. I used to doubt it was really a possibility, but seeing the progress she has made this year I think she might do it. She just might be one of those 9 year old L2's. But I don't know, we'll see! I'm glad that I have never shared my doubts with DD (I thank CB for teaching me that) because I think a mother's doubt can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I think you should reach out to the head coach, but if the gym's philosophy is to focus on particular age or body type, and your daughter isn't right, then staying or even forcing her on their team may not be productive. Echoing what others have recommended, if she does want to pursue this with your support, you should contact other local gyms, and tell them what you are looking for and have them assess her and see what your options are. Good luck!

That is crazy. At 9 years 6 months, 51 inches is below the 25th percentile for height on the CDC chart--looks like it's around the 18th percentile. Even at 9 years 0 months, 51 inches is barely above the 25th percentile.

My daughter will be 9 next month. And she just reached 51 inches. :) She's our short stuff.... I am pretty short too (5-3 on a GREAT day ;) She is the shortest on her team and in her class.

Our team has ALL shapes and sizes though. I certainly don't think it is fair to discount a hard working kiddo simply because of their height... (especially when no one really knows anyways how tall the kiddo will be) Just the Same -- another kiddo should not be seen as a sure-team material just because they are short.

Just let the kids tumble and have fun!! Grrr....

I certainly don't think it is fair to discount a hard working kiddo simply because of their height... (especially when no one really knows anyways how tall the kiddo will be) Just the Same -- another kiddo should not be seen as a sure-team material just because they are short.

Just let the kids tumble and have fun!! Grrr....

Yes! And if OP's kid's coach was really trying to say that the kid wasn't strong or coordinated enough, she should have said something like, "We really like her work ethic, but she needs to work on her strength and coordination before she's ready for team. Let's put her on preteam and have her focus on strength and body shaping, and see how she does. I want you and your daughter to understand that she may need some extra time on preteam, and later on we will decide whether JO or XCel is the best fit for her, but as long as she's willing to work hard and be patient we are willing to work with her to maximize her individual potential."

Signed, the mom of the kid who spent a total of three years on preteam at two different gyms and is probably repeating L3 but has come so far and loves gymnastics more than anything in the world.

This is kind of true, in that (almost) any body type can do gymnastics. There are, however, certain body types that will make gymnastics extremely difficult and make the athlete progress slowly. I would never rule a child out based on their height, as it is not really an indicator as how far they will go, especially at such a young age. I would also not rule out a child based on being too heavy, as I've seen lots of heavy gymnasts be very successful.

I will tell you, completely and honestly, that in my opinion, the kids that have the hardest time with this sport are those that are heavier and not at all strong. Strong kids can carry a little extra weight and do just fine, but if their upper body is naturally weak and they have large frame to support, bars is going to be just so extremely hard, even at the lower levels, it's sure to result in frustration.

That being said, I have a kid that was very good at tumbling and vaulting but had never done bars before. She was a little chubby (not obese by any means) and I thought her bars would come very slowly. She was not super weak, but did struggle with strength. I told her mom she could compete Level 2 this year but bars would be the key event. She worked hard and got all of her skills and I'm so proud.

On the other hand, I have an athlete who has to work so hard on her strength and, in addition, carries a bit of extra wait. She misses practice quite a bit and it seems that no matter how much conditioning we do, she struggles to be strong enough to really progress on bars. I wouldn't let that preclude any child from doing gymnastics, but if it were my child, I would like this kind of candidness just so I could pursue other sports where their body type might be more beneficial.

My DD was overweight and very weak when she started at 10 in L2. She didn't have the chin up part of the pull over AT ALL. Over the course of 1 calendar year she transformed into a body builder body type with strength to match. 2 years into gym and she is L7 and can climb the rope to the very top in full pike position, arms only! Her gym does TOPs conditioning. :) It's all about how determined the girl is, and what access she has to build up that strength, and having coaches that believe in her. My DD is one of those weirdo kids that LOVES conditioning and does it all the time on her own, for fun (ohhh if that enthusiasm was only contagious).

That coach did the OP a favor by coming right out and saying "I don't believe in your kid" right up front instead of wasting years pretending she did, knowing she really didn't. Saved you a lot of time and heartache. Move on to another gym. Gymnastics is for ALL kids.

My DD was overweight and very weak when she started at 10 in L2. She didn't have the chin up part of the pull over AT ALL. Over the course of 1 calendar year she transformed into a body builder body type with strength to match. 2 years into gym and she is L7 and can climb the rope to the very top in full pike position, arms only! Her gym does TOPs conditioning. :) It's all about how determined the girl is, and what access she has to build up that strength, and having coaches that believe in her. My DD is one of those weirdo kids that LOVES conditioning and does it all the time on her own, for fun (ohhh if that enthusiasm was only contagious).

That coach did the OP a favor by coming right out and saying "I don't believe in your kid" right up front instead of wasting years pretending she did, knowing she really didn't. Saved you a lot of time and heartache. Move on to another gym. Gymnastics is for ALL kids.

That is awesome! She sounds very talented and hard working. I know you are proud!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back