WAG Gymnastics Economics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Splat

Coach
Gymnast
I have received the opportunity to work on a big project for college my Freshman year. I have chosen to do it on the economics of gymnastics and gymnastic gyms. I am still early in the planning process and the requirements are very vague. I was wondering if anyone had any information on anything relating this or new of some good articles.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Wow - big, interesting (to me at least) topic with so many directions to go.

There are a lot of smart, experienced people here... if you give a little more ["I am still early in the planning process and the requirements are very vague"] I'm sure you'd get a lot helpful responses. Regardless, I'll start with a few ideas...

Metro area vs. rural -- within that, what part of the country? Cost of living (salaries) varies greatly.
Big competitive programs vs smaller -- # of staff required
Difference in staff -- hourly vs. salary
How many days a week is the gym filled with "rec" classes; and from when to when - in other words, how many kids are in/out of the gym everyday?
Are there birthday parties every weekend or only once in a while
Does gym run clinics on weekends?
What's a gym's equipment like? How old or new/replaced
Website production -- I've looked at many gyms' websites and you can tell the range spent on production and constant output varies greatly.
Gym owners -- 2nd business or primary source of livelihood?

Hope these bullets spark some ideas for you! Good luck and keep updating..

I have received the opportunity to work on a big project for college my Freshman year. I have chosen to do it on the economics of gymnastics and gymnastic gyms. I am still early in the planning process and the requirements are very vague. I was wondering if anyone had any information on anything relating this or new of some good articles.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Not an economist, but thinking of economic related things I might study if I could..

Maybe look into the economic status of families with athletes across levels of gymnastics from compulsory to elite. To what degree does a family's economic status affect level of participation, longevity, and/or success? One would assume that families with greater disposable income would have a larger percentage of the girls at the higher end as they are probably more likely and able to afford higher tuition, private lessons, travel, nutritionists, solid health care, pt, massage, etc.. or even the ability to relocate to select a gym rather than just choose a gym in their area.. You'd assume that relationship, but maybe not. Yeah, it's an expensive sport, but you don't see the Hilton family with an Olympic gymnast (that I know of??).. so how does that shape up in reality?

Or an analysis of the cost to keep a gymnast in the sport through high school graduation at level 10.. by region.. (like the "cost of raising a child" studies). That'd be tough as there are SO many factors, but it would be awesome to see.

Maybe an analysis of the saturation point of number of gyms in relationship to the economic prosperity of a region? Is there a way to predict that tipping point?

That's all I can come up with at the moment..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back