Parents gymnastics equipment that keeps arms up toward ears?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rmankini

Proud Parent
We had a new girl join our pre-team. She just turned 5 and her arm placement it up at her ears all the time. Girls that are 6 and 7 are still struggling with this. I asked her mom and she said they just came from a gym that used some sort of apparatus or tool to train the girls to keep their arms up at head. Does anyone know maybe what this is or have seen something like this? Thanks

That curved bar is a horror,, I cannot believe it is even allowed in gyms.

Bands are the safest way, along with lots and lots of reminders.
I have seen the metal bar at a gym out of state when my child went to an open gym for fun....we were both horrified. Looks like a punishment for bad behavior....:eek:

This is what youre talking about I'm assuming? It can be scary looking, but I'm impartial either way. Ive seen the girls use bands, and sticks, or foam blocks used in the same manner. Even those Style Ropes. Constant reminders "Dont be a NOODLE!!" lol

Reactions: sce

This is what youre talking about I'm assuming? It can be scary looking, but I'm impartial either way. Ive seen the girls use bands, and sticks, or foam blocks used in the same manner. Even those Style Ropes. Constant reminders "Dont be a NOODLE!!" lol

This is what DD's tumbling coach uses with the kids that really need help with their arms. Everyone else uses water bottles when they need a little extra work keeping their arms by their ears. DD's coach has her rest an empty water bottle against her neck on each shoulder and then hold her arms up and squeeze them in to keep them there. I think the water bottles are way better training devices than the bar because they make her concentrate on keeping her arms in the correct position as opposed to a bar that forces her arms into the correct position. And it is easier to feel (and for her coach to see) when her arms start to "sag" away from where they should be.

I use foam cubes (from the foam pit) no way to get hurt by those....

Agreed - doesn't work perfectly but it's something. Overall this is more of an issue of body alignment in the core and shoulder girdle and shoulder strength. Some kids naturally can lift their arms more easily due to their body structure. If they struggle to keep their shoulders open due to a lack of muscular development or flexibility, then they will often appear this way.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back