WAG Gymnastics for dummies...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Traci

Proud Parent
Hey, is there a guide for gymnastics? DD is going level 10 and I am clueless as to what skills are worth and what is needed. I probably should just continue to be clueless, uh? :)

Reactions: sce
As a coach I don't mind when parents ask questions about "how the sport works" as it is usually just out of general curiosity - if you weren't a gymnast it's very weird and even if you were it has changed a lot - so if knowing what skills are worth, etc., will help you better understand/enjoy then you can definitely find those answers.

On the other hand, when I was a gymnast, my mom knew pretty much nothing about the sport - she could identify the four different events and that was about it. But that did not take away from her enjoyment (or shear terror at some points I think) of watching me compete.

My suggestion is watch some YouTube gymnastics videos with your daughter and let her teach you skills she does/is training/doesn't do/etc. Then just sit back and enjoy the ride!

There are some videos on Youtube of gymnastics routines broken down by their skill value. These are helpful and fun to watch as well! You could search for "Ragan Smith floor score breakdown" (just a random example, could pick any well known gymnast) and go down the rabbit hole from there. The videos name eavh skill and say wether it is A/B/C etc...

I tend to just ask my son, and he will give me that info. It can be fun to connect that way. He loves to share his knowledge of the sport with me :) And reading the CoP is like deciphering heiroglyphics to me!

Like what skills are "A", "B", "C" - etc.

OP -

Warning - don't go there; CGM-ness ahead. Honestly, unless you are her coach, there is no need to know this stuff. Yes I know, you want to be a better informed parent. I will tell you from experience thru level 10, you are better off just referring to skills as "the flippy things". What the skill is and how many of each you need in a particular routine is much better left between the gymnast and the coach. Ask yourself, what would you do with that knowledge. You are going to be busy enough holding your breath during the big release moves on bars and the flippy thing series on beam.

Good luck.

My daughter is a 4th year Level 10 and I like to know what her harder skills are (C, D and E). I really don't care about the As and Bs. I also like to know how the skills should look with less deductions. I don't think wanting to know skills, skill values or deductions is veering towards CGMness at all. I like being an informed spectator. I think it is like going to watch a game and knowing the rules, the plays etc. Having some knowledge of what you are watching provides more appreciation of what you are watching.

That said, OP there are so many A-G skills If you try to decipher the COP, it'll drive you nuts. My suggestion is find out what skills your daughter has and ask away at this forum. To start you off, Level 10 starts with a 9.5 SV, assuming they have all the requirements. They get to a 10 SV through connection bonuses and by adding D and harder skills.

Hey, is there a guide for gymnastics? DD is going level 10 and I am clueless as to what skills are worth and what is needed. I probably should just continue to be clueless, uh? :)

yep. same as all of us. we're on a level playing field. the kids know what their doing though. :)
i thought i'd add...the judges know even less than we do. that's why you wouldn't want to become to proficient at what they do. it might cause you to...SCREAM DURING A MEET! LOL

if you can tell us what her routine is (including connections) I'm sure we'd be able to help you!

OP -

Warning - don't go there; CGM-ness ahead. Honestly, unless you are her coach, there is no need to know this stuff. Yes I know, you want to be a better informed parent. I will tell you from experience thru level 10, you are better off just referring to skills as "the flippy things". What the skill is and how many of each you need in a particular routine is much better left between the gymnast and the coach. Ask yourself, what would you do with that knowledge. You are going to be busy enough holding your breath during the big release moves on bars and the flippy thing series on beam.

Good luck.

Ha ha. My kid laughs at me and my use of "flippy twisty thing" when describing anything she does. She's been known to pull up YouTube to show me stuff when I just don't get it. Anyway. I just sit back and watch and hope the coach only puts things in the routine that she can do

I think I need a class for moms! I feel pretty good about knowing a lot of things, but now L9 bars are a complete mystery to me. I know what the overshoot is, but the front giants vs back, all the different turns- blind vs this vs that- Im clueless! DD has even showed me SLOWLY with the hands and which way is what but IRL I have no idea! LOL!

I think I need a class for moms! I feel pretty good about knowing a lot of things, but now L9 bars are a complete mystery to me. I know what the overshoot is, but the front giants vs back, all the different turns- blind vs this vs that- Im clueless! DD has even showed me SLOWLY with the hands and which way is what but IRL I have no idea! LOL!
A forward giant is going forward or "blind", you can't quite see where you are going and your hair is facing the ground, and a backward giant is backward, your face is facing the ground

Just when I think I am finally getting it, he starts talking about all the turny things on pommel horse and hand placements and stuff. I have a bit of an advantage on the bars stuff because I get the tech chatter from both sides.

Meh, I don't think that learning about the skills is necessarily a sign of CGM-ness. I've looked up skills in the CoP and generally know what skills are called (except for pommel - it all looks the same to me LOL).

Some people are wired to learn as much as they can about things - I did the same when I got into photography. I like to look at pictures and bring up the metadata (ISO, aperture, speed, lens, etc) so I can figure out how the picture was produced. Similarly I like to watch routines and know what they are doing, with some minimal understanding of the D and E scores.

Here is an explanation:

Back giants

basically think if you were swinging on a bar and wanted to go all the way around. Also like a rollercoaster that's going forwards. You do a handstand and 'step' down

front giants

the opposite of back giants. Like if you were on a rollercoaster going backwards. You do a handstand and fall over

Also helpful for thinking about blind vs back giants

first type is back, second type is front

you can see what it looks like

women's, falling with your back to the floor is a front giant. in men's it's a "back" giant.
in women's falling to the floor with your stomach is a back giant. in men's that's a "front" giant.

confused yet? want to get in to "regular" grip, "reverse" grip, "mixed" grip, "L grip", "eagle" grip, "cross" grip, YIKES! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back