Gymnastics hobby or sport?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So my husband and I differ very much on how we think of gymnastics. We were in the book store the other day and I told him I was sad they they don't have any books on gymnastics (I was looking under the sports section) he informed me in a snide way that I should look under the "hobby" section.

He has told me he belives gymnastics is a hobby because you do not make money. I then told him that most things are not sports then, football, baseball and basketball included as most people play them and do not make money.

When someone says hobby to me I think of knitting, reading, stamp collecting and the like. So what do you think hobby or sport and why?

I have to say I do think some things people may consider to be "sports" to be more hobby like such as bowling, golf and fishing but hey that is just me.

Amateur sport. Only professionals get paid.

THough I'd love to see your hubby take up gymnastics instead of knitting.

American heritage dictionary:

NOUN:

1. <LI type=a>Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
    2. A particular form of this activity.
  1. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
No, money is not part of the definition of sport.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe professional gymnasts have the opportunity to make money if they agree to endorsements and such, they just can't do it for the money if they want a college scholarship because the NCAA frowns upon that :) And as someone else said, knitting is a hobby, tell him to go to one gymnastics class, and tell you again it's not a sport

GRRRRRRR..... I get so angry when prople say it's not a sport.. My brother does that all the time!!!!!! Gymnastics is the hardest sport in the world, and there is something wrong with the people that don't agree :) And I think nicci is correct.. you can make a lot of money being a gymnast.. And meets have cash prizes for the winners, don't they?? Because I know it's been an issue with several gymnasts, whether to take money and turn professional or not take it so you will still be eligible for college gymnastics.

i think he's just pulling your leg. certainly he jests...;)

So my husband and I differ very much on how we think of gymnastics...He has told me he belives gymnastics is a hobby because you do not make money....I have to say I do think some things people may consider to be "sports" to be more hobby like such as bowling, golf and fishing but hey that is just me.

Oh your hubby wouldn't like my views at all!! :D
I don't think football, basketball, etc qualify as 'sports' at all. They're just 'games' - and pretty dull ones at that.
True 'sports' are measured against a clock, a height, a weight, or a scorecard.
If you need an opponent to beat, then it's just lame 'game'.
Go real sport like gymnastics!!
JMHO
PS: I'm proud to be snide!! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure but the last time I checked high school and college football, basketball, baseball, soccer, tennis, or whatever did not recieve a paycheck (or should I say not supposed to) anyway, I think your hubby may have been trying to push your buttons? I get a little steamed when someone says gymnastics is a "girly" sport. Not sure how many of those above mentioned athletes can climb a rope with only their hands? hehe!

I am not sure but the last time I checked high school and college football, basketball, baseball, soccer, tennis, or whatever did not recieve a paycheck (or should I say not supposed to) anyway, I think your hubby may have been trying to push your buttons? I get a little steamed when someone says gymnastics is a "girly" sport. Not sure how many of those above mentioned athletes can climb a rope with only their hands? hehe!

OOOOh I LOVE it!!! :D My ds would NOT join gymnastics because he said it was a "girly" sport. Until his lil sis got so strong, everyone was teasing that she was stronger than him! (she was!) then he decided to try it...now he's the best conditioned kid in his grade, and doing things he never thought he could...it also made his "games" stronger...(baseball, basketball) so, he's hooked now...and definitely considers it a real man's sport!! lol

and somewhere on here, didn't I read that someone had a shirt that said, "after a day of football, a gymnast would be bruised...after a day of gymnastics, a football player would be dead"...? lol:)

Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe professional gymnasts have the opportunity to make money if they agree to endorsements and such, they just can't do it for the money if they want a college scholarship because the NCAA frowns upon that :) And as someone else said, knitting is a hobby, tell him to go to one gymnastics class, and tell you again it's not a sport

The NCAA not only "frowns" upon it, it forbids it..

Gymnastics is the hardest sport in the world, and there is something wrong with the people that don't agree :)gymnastics.

I have to say something about your comment.

First, I agree, gymnastics is a sport AND an art, and a form of recreation.

So is figure skating (they don't use spring floors or mats and land on blades), Synchronized swimming (try doing those flips and splits while holding your breath upside down underwater) and a hundred other activities. However it is too much to say that it is the "hardest sport in the world" That is subjective and there is nothing "wrong" with people who don't agree, they just have a different opinion.

As much as we all like or love gymnastics other people have just as much passion for their sports and just as detailed arguments for their sport as you do for gym. We can all respect the efforts of athletes in every sport.

My husband has also said something similar. He says that subjectively scored activities are not sports, they are exhibitions (or some similar word). So while he is not particularly interested in the kids' swimming, that is a sport. Gymnastics, not a sport.

I guess it could be the context in which you do gymnastic moves. If you are doing them on stage as a show it could be viewed as exhibition, even gymnastic clubs do exhibitions for the public. And I guess it could be a hobby such as if you have a back yard trampoline and are teaching yourself jumps. I guess it would cross over to maybe exercise or an activity if you do a rec. class and that is your purpose for doing it. And in my mind I suppose it is a sport when you do it competitively. I just don’t see people who beat their bodies up 15 hours a week doing tricks that could injure or kill you to go out and be your best and compete as hobbyists. I know you could always take a knitting needle to the eye but come on!

Gymnastic is deffinetly a sport !!!! It takes so much physical strength to do the things we do. Seriously it makes me so mad when people say gymnastics isn't a sport!!!!!!!!:mad:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back