MAG Gymnastics is all I got. I need advice... This is important to me so PLEASE read.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
I am a gymnast going to level 10 next year and have a few questions. For the past 2 years I have been getting injured. Reason is because I am growing like crazy and I didn't have enough muscle to support my body. It started in February last year I had fractures in my ankle. Then I had small fracture in both wrist. Then a fracture in My L5 in my lower back. I also have Bicep Tendonitis in my shoulder. Anyways, I know gymnastics comes with pain and that as gymnast we all tough through it bbut this pain can be unbearable.. But i toughed out nationals this year with my back and shoulder injury because i missed 2012 nationals. I took 2 weeks off after nationals and came back for 1 week. I was still in pain and took 2 more weeks off till yesterday. I went back and my coach, told me to do floor. At this point my back was feeling better. I was warming up with a front flip punch front flip and on the second one my back whipped and its still hurting today. Im in the same pain I was a year ago.... This was probably because I didn't go all out condition while i was resting home. I have tried orthopedics, physical therapy, acupuncture, you name it. Gymnastics is like my life and I was so motivated to get better but my injuries have held me back. My parents are out of ideas and don't know what to do with me. Have you had any of these problems? I don want to quit. School is not a problem for me I get all A's but my goal is to get into a school like Michigan or Stanford or Illinois but without gymnastics it seems like a long shot.... What do you think I should do now that Im right back where am I was with my back pain? Should I condition a lot till I feel better? My coach says no matter what i need to be in the gym everyday and work around my injuries but my shoulder and back is like every event but pommels. Please Guys I need help, gymnastics is all I got.

I wish I was where you are at. You are what every gymnast wants to be at unless of course elite level. Honestly that's tough. You risk injury that could stick with you for life. But if I were you I would honestly stick with gymnastics. I don't mean tough it out and don't pretend it doesn't hurt but be careful! I know its hard but everyone risks injury, though gymnasts risk a lot more. You've risked a lot your whole life though, never give it up.

As said above, this is a tough situation. You were blessed with the gymnastics talent to even get to that level.
If I were in your shoes, I'd keep training, I'd condition a little more, but be a little more careful. Try to keep landings soft with extra mats, because that will help you. Mats are your friend:) If it hurts to much, it's ok to take a little break, go get a drink of water, condition a part of your body that doesn't hurt. You've made it this far, therefore, you've already had a successful career as a gymnast.

You need to see a good sports orthopedist (again) and then take her or his advice to the letter, and if that advice includes physical therapy, run, don't walk, to a good therapist. I understand how terribly frustrated you are with the injuries and I understand that with your impending jump to L10, you want to be working skills. But you can't work skills and upgrades without risking further and worse injury unless you give your body the time it needs to heal.

Get expert medical advice on what kinds of conditioning you can do without aggravating anything, and do it. Rest up, heal up, and come back when you're healed. You have time. You really do. Even at your age, you are still running a marathon, not sprinting toward a finish line. Once you're through your growth spurt, things should get better.

All good thoughts and healing vibes!

I agree with profmom. There has to be another sports medicine person out there. YOu have got to heal or you aren't going to be able to work any skills. I know it is hard, and frustrating, and that teenagers are not known for patience. Is there a university around with a sports medicine department or a place that works on college/pro athletes. That might be your best bet.

And if you can work pommel, do. Colleges are always in need of good pommel workers ;)

I agree with the posters above 100% I also wanted to mention something I noticed about your post. Twice (in the title and in your final statement) you said "gymnastics is all I've got". As a parent, I would be heartbroken to think of my kiddo in that kind of emotional pain, feeling they are losing the "only thing" that matters to them. Chances are, gymnastics isn't the "only thing" that matters to you. Hopefully you have friends and family and perhaps a religious faith that are just as important. YOU are so much more than a gymnast. I am betting you are a treasured son and friend with a load of skills and talents, like perseverance, work ethic, patience, commitment, intelligence, etc. You have the potential for an amazing future with or without competing in gymnastics. Please make sure you are leveling with your parents or others who care for you about how you feel. When I was 15, I lost my ability to compete in the activity I had loved for 10 years. I grieved that loss the way you might grieve for a person. Flash forward a few (okay, more than a few) years, and my life is amazing and rich and full of many other beautiful things I never dreamed of. So, maybe I am overreacting to your post, but I understand your fear of losing what you love. So, don't give up yet...make sure you give a good doctor the best chance to help you by following every detail of instruction. But face that journey with courage knowing you'll be fine no matter what.

Thank you everyone. I sacrificed a lot to get to where I am but I also realized I have my family friends and other talents. I woke up early before school today and did some conditioning and stretching and it motivates me to get back in the gym and condition a lot. I am currently going to physical therapy also. I'm going to work pommels more and look at this as an opportunity.

Are you taking D3 and K2? Did they prescribe K2 when your fractures were diagnosed? Ask about that for bone health.

Have they done blood work to check for any vitamin or mineral deficiencies? Ask if these need to be ruled out.

If you were my child;

a) rest and follow Dr's/physical therapists advice until everything has healed properly.
b) Once you are pain free and healed, go back to the gym for conditioning only. Build up slowly, just attend for warm up, condition, and go home. But condition, then condition some more until you are in great shape, and pain free.
c) work back up from basics. Slowly. Work out with the level 6's or something- reduced hours, reduced skill level. If you still feel good, introduce higher level skills one at a time, and stop if the pain recurs.

If your ambition is to get onto a university team, you're going to need to be healthy for that. So fix it now while you have time and before it gets un-fixable.

Sgavallas, I am a mom. DS has been battling injuries for the past year. Broken kneecap, tendinitis in every imaginable area, this time, a fractured wrist has kept him from doing most things.
Slowly this injury has eroded his skills. I pulled him out completely intil he is 100% better. NO APPARATUS and only conditioning and stretching. He is going to a sports psychologist and a sports ortho.

My job as a mom is to keep him fit. I am making him do OTHER camps, Flag footbal, diving, art. I need to keep his mind off gymnastics and I want him to have some fun.
Gymnastics will not leave him. He will be able to catch up when he is better and AFTER the growth spurt.
He is 13 and growing like crazy...everything hurts. including his ego.

Be smart about it. Find cross training that does not aggrivate your injuries. Make a long term plan for your body to heal. It is the only body you have! You WILL be able to succeesd once you are better. Take THIS TIME TO TRY OTHER THINGS!!!
once your body is better, you will get back to it with the burning drive you have IN YOU. HANG IN THERE!!!

You didn't take enough time to properly heal.

Rule out any dietary defiencies.

If your back or body is still suspect, you should not be tumbling or vaulting on hard surfaces. Go have a looksee.

When you are ready to start training again, implement weighed back extensions, good mornings, back squats, romanian deadlifts.

Yea thanks everybody. I am going back to gym but doing VERY LITTLE with high reps. Like I can't do a press or leg lift without pain so I am doing simple things but I am going to physical therapy also. Slowly, slowly I will start doing more and more conditioning but I'm going to stay on this steady paste. Really thank you everyone. And Blair Bob I think that because I didn't do anything while I took off it healed my back but have me the risk of being injured because my muscles weren't ready and I wasn't strong enough so now I'm going to condition for a few weeks only and then start some basic skills while still condition.

DS is ONLY Conditioning.....no chin ups, push ups, handstands, nothing on hands......only hollow rocks, sit ups, leg lifts, lots of holds....with leg weights. No tumble track, no running (osgood-sgklaaterrr.....) only bike. Lots of swimming.
lots of flexibility. Don't go overboard, stay pain free.

sleep lots.

i would have a couple of weeks off,so i would just get your coach to write out a strength program to do everyday so your not slacking off gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back