Parents Gymnastics making her feel nauseous - desperate for help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

minnie_mouse

Proud Parent
My 10 yr old dd has been doing gymnastics for about 4 years, she absolutely loves it. She knows she's never going to make a career of it so doesn't feel the need to push herself too much. But still maintains good progress at her level. However over the last couple of months she has been feeling sick at training and when she gets home. Pretty much feels sick doing anything that makes her go upside down. She trains 12 hours a week. She is very upset about this and ends up crying herself to sleep as she feels that sick. She has never actually vomited just has the feeling of if. I have asked her if she wants to stop but she really doesn't. She just wants to stop feeling sick. She says she doesn't feel dizzy. Anyone else experienced anything like this? I am making an appointment for her to see a doctor. I hate seeing her so distressed.

Definitely get her to a doctor to check everything out. Middle and inner ear issues can cause severe nausea, with and without dizziness/ vertigo. Blood pressure issues can cause this too, as can overheating.

How's her diet? I need to be careful with how balanced my diet is because otherwise I get significant nausea too.

Hiatus hernia can cause nausea. This is often inherited.

Very good control can be gained with diet, as well as GP prescribed medication to neutralise the stomach acid for awhile.

Good luck:)

Perhaps the summer weather? Is she dehydrated? Drinking enough water and eating healthier options to beat the heat? Good luck, I hope all turns out well!

Electrolytes? When it is warm or we are traveling I have to manage my dds electrolytes with supplements or she gets nauseous, sometimes even a low grade fever. This is especially true on training days but as long as she takes an electrolyte supplement she is good to go. She drinks a lot of water and has very little reserve. All muscle no fat will lead to a more delicate system I guess.

Summer training generally means pretty intense conditioning. This can definitely contribute if there is dehydration or imbalances at play.

Something to maybe ask about when you take her to the doc. Good luck!

Peeps, she is in the UK, its NOT going to be the heat :rolleyes:

Seriously, I had an inner ear infection and it was murder, felt sick and the room span if I turned over in bed. Get her checked out by the GP and let us know how she goes

Likely reflux. It often shows up in this age group and can be "exercise induced". Upside down can also make it worse. And later in the day also can make it worse.
In the U.S., you can buy nexium or Prevacid over the counter. If you get it in the UK,I'd have her try it in the morning before breakfast for 2 weeks. If it's helping, use it for 2 months then try coming off.
(I think the start of hormones in the peri pubertal girls relax the sphincter and cause this time of increased reflux. )

Likely reflux. It often shows up in this age group and can be "exercise induced". Upside down can also make it worse. And later in the day also can make it worse.

(I think the start of hormones in the peri pubertal girls relax the sphincter and cause this time of increased reflux. )

la la la :coversears:

Please don't say that, we had nearly 18m of hell with DD2 and reflux. She still vomits any given chance, and can do so practically on demand. I really do not need to know we may be descending back in to that nightmare in a few more years....

Oh, I am sorry...but it is true:(
(my 6 yo DS is my refluxer since birth, he has awful oral aversion from it...so I hear you on this one)

Had something similar for awhile. She was talking of quitting she was feeling so bad, and the adults in her life were dubious of whether her symptoms were real. Due to weird schedule, was not getting enough to eat and dehydrated. Has been solved with constant push by coaches and me to finish practice snack and drinking ever 20 minutes or so. I'd evaluate that as well as the inner ear thing.

Peeps, she is in the UK, its NOT going to be the heat :rolleyes:

Thanks for pointing out she is from UK. I didn't know. If you are reading the forum on a mobile device, the flag for each country doesn't show up. Still, doesn't it get hot in the gyms there? I know a lot of gyms in northern US don't have air conditioning and it can get mighty hot in the summer if the temp rises abnormally high.

Please don't say that, we had nearly 18m of hell with DD2 and reflux. She still vomits any given chance, and can do so practically on demand. I really do not need to know we may be descending back in to that nightmare in a few more years....
That sounds like it was awful.

Hi, thank you all for your replies, she seen the doctor and is being referred to the hospital. In the mean time they have given her some anti-nausea medicine. They are not sure if it is her stomach or ears which are causing the problem. Fingers crossed we can get to the bottom of it quickly.

Ha, ha! My dd is what we call a "random pucker". Until the 2nd vomit in a short period of time, we do not take it seriously.

Hi, thank you all for your replies, she seen the doctor and is being referred to the hospital. In the mean time they have given her some anti-nausea medicine. They are not sure if it is her stomach or ears which are causing the problem. Fingers crossed we can get to the bottom of it quickly.
Poor kid. I hope you get some answers soon.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back