WAG Gymnastics on holiday

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

skittery

Gymnast
First post!

I'm old for my level (14 at NDP 6) and right now I'm on a 4 week trip. A gym in the area I'm staying is allowing me to train with them for my entire stay and tomorrow at my first training, the head coach is going to evaluate me to place me in a training group. Has anyone done a similar thing before? What should I expect?

Also, could anyone help me out with the level I am in North America? Here are the highest skills I have on each event
Floor:
-round off backhandspring layout
-front handspring front tuck
-switch to side leap (learning to add shushunova)
Beam:
-backwalkover
-front walkover (low beam)
-switch leap
Vault:
-round off (tsuk timer?)
-learning half on half off
Bars:
-kip, long kip
--long hang pullover
-free/clear hip circle (only done a few times ever)
-pike on
-learning giants on strap bar
-learning Chinese sit up

Thanks everybody!

i've trained at a different gym while on vacation, it was a really neat experience. they had a lot of new drill i'd never tried before and the girls and coaches were very welcoming. Depending on how intense the gym is and what levels they compete you will probably end up as a level 5 or 6 maybe 7 but you would be a little behind, i'll give you a quick over view of the skills for those levels in the US. but keep in mind that in the us many gyms don't compete both level 5 and 6, level 5 is compulsory and 6 is optional and have nearly the same requirements so most gyms choose do do one and skip the other, and since levels 6 and 7 are optional there are many varieties of skills but i'll try to give the most common ones.
vault:
level 5- front handspring
level 6- front handspring
level 7- front handspring
(most gyms are working tsuks and yurchenkos in these levels though)
bars:
level 5- kip, cast, free hip, kip, squat on, jump to high bar, kip, cast, long hang pull over, undershoot, tap swing, tap swing, fly away
level 6- kip, cast, free hip, kip, squat on, jump to high bar, kip, cast, flyaway
(some girls are doing giants in this level)
level 7- kip, cast, free hip, kip squat on, jump to high bar, kip, cast to handstand, giant, flyaway
beam:
level 5: bwo or bhs, handstand, full turn, split jump sissone, leap, side handstand 1/4 turn dismount
level 6: cartwheel(rare but allowed)/bwo/bhs, full turn, 180 split jump/leap, front or back tuck dismount
level 7: bhs or roundoff, series such as bwo bwo (some gyms require the flight skill in the series such as bwo bhs), 180 split jump/leap, full turn, front or back tuck dismount
floor:
level 5- front tuck, fhs step out fhs, rounhoff bhs backtuck, leap/switch leap, full turn, straddle jump
level 6- front tuck/pike/fhs front tuck/pike, round off bhs back tuck/layout, switch leap, full turn
level 7: round off bhs layout/full, fhs front tuck/pile/layout, 1.5 turn, switch leap

-keep in mind it depends on how intense the gym is and how much uptraining the do all year, in the US the summer is an important time to transition up through the levels so they will probably be doing drills and learning new skills, good luck and have fun!?

i've trained at a different gym while on vacation, it was a really neat experience. they had a lot of new drill i'd never tried before and the girls and coaches were very welcoming. Depending on how intense the gym is and what levels they compete you will probably end up as a level 5 or 6 maybe 7 but you would be a little behind, i'll give you a quick over view of the skills for those levels in the US. but keep in mind that in the us many gyms don't compete both level 5 and 6, level 5 is compulsory and 6 is optional and have nearly the same requirements so most gyms choose do do one and skip the other, and since levels 6 and 7 are optional there are many varieties of skills but i'll try to give the most common ones.
vault:
level 5- front handspring
level 6- front handspring
level 7- front handspring
(most gyms are working tsuks and yurchenkos in these levels though)
bars:
level 5- kip, cast, free hip, kip, squat on, jump to high bar, kip, cast, long hang pull over, undershoot, tap swing, tap swing, fly away
level 6- kip, cast, free hip, kip, squat on, jump to high bar, kip, cast, flyaway
(some girls are doing giants in this level)
level 7- kip, cast, free hip, kip squat on, jump to high bar, kip, cast to handstand, giant, flyaway
beam:
level 5: bwo or bhs, handstand, full turn, split jump sissone, leap, side handstand 1/4 turn dismount
level 6: cartwheel(rare but allowed)/bwo/bhs, full turn, 180 split jump/leap, front or back tuck dismount
level 7: bhs or roundoff, series such as bwo bwo (some gyms require the flight skill in the series such as bwo bhs), 180 split jump/leap, full turn, front or back tuck dismount
floor:
level 5- front tuck, fhs step out fhs, rounhoff bhs backtuck, leap/switch leap, full turn, straddle jump
level 6- front tuck/pike/fhs front tuck/pike, round off bhs back tuck/layout, switch leap, full turn
level 7: round off bhs layout/full, fhs front tuck/pile/layout, 1.5 turn, switch leap

-keep in mind it depends on how intense the gym is and how much uptraining the do all year, in the US the summer is an important time to transition up through the levels so they will probably be doing drills and learning new skills, good luck and have fun!?

Thanks!

They might also take your age into consideration when grouping you. If all their L5s are ages 8-10 but their L7s are 12-15, they might put you in L7 so you will be with your peers.

Or it might be based on which group has room for you.

Or it could change every day as the team girls take vacation.

No matter what, it sounds like a great experience! Have fun!!

Sorry forgot to write an update. It was really good!

I got placed with the level 6s and I made some new friends. I also learnt how to climb a rope and got my straight chs and straddle chs, cartwheel back tuck dismount (though I whacked my head once, yikes) and layout flyaway. The rope climbing was the hardest thing I did though, the first time I could hardly make it up half the rope WITH feet. By the end I could pull to that distance without feet and then climb the whole rope without problems. The conditioning was a lot tougher than at home, though. We did 45 minutes at the end of 4 hour practice with loads more scattered throughout.
Also, practices were an hour longer than I was used to (I fell asleep in the car after practice the first day haha) and I did 7 more hours than I was used to every week. So it was also really tiring.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back