Gymnastics shoes?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

NGL780309

I don't see anyone wear gymnastics shoes anymore. Why is that?

I was thinking about getting DD some because her feet are so gross. They are peeling and cracked. We do lotion every night. Her dad suggested I just buy her some shoes. He wore them as a gymnast and now as a coach. I just don't know because nobody wears else wears them.

A girl on my team used the for a little while on beam and vault(im not sure). She used them because her feet are really sweaty and they pervented slippage.

What is the purpose of them anyway?

i used them when i was younger because my feet would always slip off the beam :p hahaa it was funny to watch xD but a couple girls wear them at my gym for different reasons, they also wear during comp. but not many people wear them.. i geuss they just aren't in stylee ;)

I have them, for my feet because they are very sweaty! I don't wear them though, because I don't like the feeling on beam. But I do know a few people in Canada that do wear them.

NGL, I think most girls don't wear them because they like to really feel the beam with their feet and the gym shoes put that layer of fabric between their feet and the beam.

Before getting her any, I would talk with her coach. She would need some time to get used to them and then if she doesn't like them, she would have to transition back to working beam barefoot. Another downside to these is that they're white and really show if toes aren't pointed.

NGL, I think most girls don't wear them because they like to really feel the beam with their feet and the gym shoes put that layer of fabric between their feet and the beam.

Before getting her any, I would talk with her coach. She would need some time to get used to them and then if she doesn't like them, she would have to transition back to working beam barefoot. Another downside to these is that they're white and really show if toes aren't pointed.

I'm probably just the odd gymnast, but that's the exact reason I don't wear my gym shoes, the feeling on beam. It scares me, maybe i'm not used to it, but I like being able to feel the beam with my feet and toes, also if you are in a competition and are on beam, if you are fighting a fall, it can be hard to wrap your toes around the beam to stay on. :)

yes. skin to feet contact is always best. this is called proprioception.

I have known a few people to have them (just for beam) in extreme circumstances. But personally I'd consider it a last option. Is she really in pain, or is it just dry skin? Before I tried shoes, I would probably try a product meant for cracked feet (rather than just regular lotion, if that's what you're using) and also cover them at night with a special pair of socks.

Maybe you can improve the condition of her skin instead of getting the shoes. My DD had the WORST feet EVER. Last year competing swimming and gymnastics, she was spenind half her time in chlorinated water and the other half of her time barefoot in the gym. In the middle of the winter when the air was cold and dry, her feet were cracked all around her toes, deep.

What finally worked was a combination of "Miracle Foot Repair" Amazon.com: Miracle of Aloe Miracle Foot Repair Cream: Sports & Outdoors and a slathering of Aquaphor on top. Deep cracks would get Neosporin and bandaids. We would do this overnight, with socks of course. And honestly within a week there was great improvement. Now her feet are "almost" normal. We don't have to do such an intensive routine, but just a littl of either one each night to make sure her feet don't have a recurrence.

Hope this helps.
Liz

I've only seen 2 gymnsat ever wear them. My DD wanted them at one time but really I couldn't see spending more money on something that really isn't required.

On beam my DD gets blisters on the balls of her feet from doing turns It got relly bad one year and it was suggested that she get the shoes but we ended up getting something called "dancepaws" for her. its like a glove for your foot without the finger part and only covers the ball of the foot. the toes and heels are still bare so she can feel the beam without cloth between them. They were approved for meets by our regional person (gym did this so not sure what is involved)

If your DD really has a problem with cracking I would see a foot doctor and see if there isn't something that could be prescribed to help heal her feet.

Her feet don't bother her, they bother me! She sits on the couch or in bed while we read and she peels her feet. It drives me nuts. They just look so gross. I bought a foot cream and an exfoliating thing to try and clean them up. It's probably partly from wearing flip flops all summer.

I'm not going to get her any. I checked online and they wouldn't have her shoe size anyway. She wears an 8. She seriously has the smallest feet. She's 5, turning 6 in December and her little sister that turned 1 in May is wearing a 4 or 5. I wear an 8.5 so I don't know where these little feet came from.

Her feet don't bother her, they bother me! She sits on the couch or in bed while we read and she peels her feet. It drives me nuts. They just look so gross. I bought a foot cream and an exfoliating thing to try and clean them up. It's probably partly from wearing flip flops all summer.

I'm not going to get her any. I checked online and they wouldn't have her shoe size anyway. She wears an 8. She seriously has the smallest feet. She's 5, turning 6 in December and her little sister that turned 1 in May is wearing a 4 or 5. I wear an 8.5 so I don't know where these little feet came from.

LOL my 13yo DD wears a kids 4 1/2 (or woman 6 1/2 they are the same size) my feet are a womans 8. All her friends are in womans shoes size 8 or bigger. I think these little feet are needed to stay on that beam LOL.

I never knew that a kids 4.5 is a women's 6.5. Interesting! Luckily for her the baby section still has cute shoes. I wonder if my 1 year old will eventully pass her up shoe size wise. I have a neice who just turned 4 and we used to always pass my DD's shoes to her. Now neice is in a 9 and DD in an 8 so we are getting the hand me downs!

I never knew that a kids 4.5 is a women's 6.5. Interesting! Luckily for her the baby section still has cute shoes. I wonder if my 1 year old will eventully pass her up shoe size wise. I have a neice who just turned 4 and we used to always pass my DD's shoes to her. Now neice is in a 9 and DD in an 8 so we are getting the hand me downs!

I didn't know it either until this past June when the shoe store person told me it was the same size. At 13 yo my DD just didn't want the Dora the Explora sneakers anymore - LOL

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back