Off Topic Gymnastics vs. Football

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lol i find it hilarious how you all throw football under the bus. The team mentality is greater then individualism will ever be. A team with no team concept and unity is ALWAYS the team that loses most of their games, its only when your best friend has your back that you succeed, something that doesn't happen in gymnastics. You all consider football so easy but imagine being a starter for a team. 16-20 year gymnast go pro. Never do you see that age range go pro in football, because it takes much more years of work. Its one thing to be on a football team, another to be a starter. Knowing the plays, anticapting others actions, getting to places fast enough, the great shape have to be in, and the physical tole it takes on your body are much more greater. Try being a starter for a 3-aa or higher school divison. its difficult. Not to mention youll make the greatest friends in your life.
And being hit repeatedly by 300-pound men while both of you are running full steam ahead.

(I know, I know, that's what she said)

Why, by the way, is it called football?

It doesn't use the feet.

And if you want to get technical, it doesn't use a ball either; the term "ball" generally refers to a spherical object.

Therefore, I propose that from this day forth, the sport formerly known as "football" be known as "handegg"

It doesn't use the feet.

And if you want to get technical, it doesn't use a ball either; the term "ball" generally refers to a spherical object.

Therefore, I propose that from this day forth, the sport formerly known as "football" be known as "handegg"

Love it!!!! I'm totally calling it handegg from now on.

because you run a ball for dear life using your feet. getting hit sucks. it sucks more than missing a release.

imagine instead of running at the vault table, it running at you while you stand there. vault tables weigh around 3-500 pounds...so just a bit heavier than pro DL.

Football (soccer) here is like a religion. Period.

They say Glasgow is the divided city, the Protestants support Rangers and the Catholics support Celtic. It gets pretty violent at times.

I love watching the football and going is great fun. The best bit for me? The singing. 80,000 fans singing You'll Never Walk Alone is absolutely INCREDIBLE. Mon eh bhoys.

YouTube - Celtic Barcelona - Sept 2004 - Never Walk Alone

Football, soccer; around the world is just super insanity when it comes to their fans.

lol i find it hilarious how you all throw football under the bus. The team mentality is greater then individualism will ever be. A team with no team concept and unity is ALWAYS the team that loses most of their games, its only when your best friend has your back that you succeed, something that doesn't happen in gymnastics. You all consider football so easy but imagine being a starter for a team. 16-20 year gymnast go pro. Never do you see that age range go pro in football, because it takes much more years of work. Its one thing to be on a football team, another to be a starter. Knowing the plays, anticapting others actions, getting to places fast enough, the great shape have to be in, and the physical tole it takes on your body are much more greater. Try being a starter for a 3-aa or higher school divison. its difficult. Not to mention youll make the greatest friends in your life.

But thats exactly why i think gymnastics is a little harder
its only when u have YOUR OWN back that u succeed, you cant depend on anybody else, its all on you
And the age ranges are different because
1. You dont see football players starting when they are toddlers. Gymnasts start from toddler age and spend their entire childhood in gymnastics. Football players start usually in middle and high school, after most gymnasts have been in gym for 6-8 years already!
2. In gymnastics (womens at least), its easier to be small, pre pubescent, and short. Which is why females in gymnastics are usually a lot smaller, and pre-pubescent (not all of them, but a few). Now if u get a small, pre pubescent short football player, he will not go very far (usually), which is another reason why football players are older. I dont think its because of preperation and hard work that u dont see 16-20 year olds dont go pro in football, its because they physically couldnt, and havnt started early with it.

Also, I disagree about the "great shape" you have to be in...linemen?? ummm ive seen quite a few of them that dont seem to be in the best shape.
Gymnasts have to be in GREAT shape. Same about the injuries. In gymnastics injuries vary greatly from sprains to dislocations to shattering bones. And they start as young as the gymnast starts gym. U see the most injuries in football in college and pro, not in highschool or junior high, so for the first say 6-7 years of a football players "career", the chances of them becoming seriously injured are much lower than the first 6-7 years of a gymnast's career.

Gymnastics has the mental strain of most professional sports, but its on children much younger than in other professional sports. Gymnasts are taught to be perfect, and thats a hard thing for an 8 year old to swallow. Self esteem sometimes becomes more of an issue at an earlier age.

But all of that aside, I still love football and Im not denying that its an INCREDIBLY dificult sport. You have to be able to act on the spot and adapt to the situation, and you need to be in tune with ur teamates. I would NEVER want to become a football player (partly because im a girl), but i would hate being slammed to the ground several times a day. But i still think gymnastics is harder. :D

It doesn't use the feet.

I support this motion.

(There's a captioned image macro for this occasion. Somewhere.)

1. Offensive Linemen don't need to move that much when protecting the QB unless they need to move forward during a rush. It all gets done to the fact that football is a series of many quick bursts of energy that are all out ( like gymnastics ) except they need to do this many times. They need to shuffle their feet and be big in pass protection. Think of them as sumotori. Big, immensely strong but it doesn't hurt if they have extra meat on their bones. Big legs and big upper bodies.

2. Defensive Lineman are scary fast and strong. Same with linebackers and safeties much like tailbacks. They are all big and fast. Yes, most of them would be much faster on a vault than any gymnast and they would have a better chance of knocking the vault over in a flying tackle.

3. Many kids start football before puberty nowadays.

4. In my grandma's day, she was on the girl's football team and they played a few games a year. I don't remember if it was flag or tackle and I'm gonna say it was probably tackle or touch.

5. As with most ball team sports, I like the fact that you have to think and adapt on the fly and you're opponent is a bit more dynamic than static ( for the most part there is far less interaction with those you compete against ). While this can be done in gymnastics, it tends to lend itself in a fall occuring and that is that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back