Gymnasts Named for Selection camp #1

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

U.S. all-around champion Rebecca Bross of Plano, Texas, 2009 World all-around champion Bridget Sloan of Pittsboro, Ind., and 2008 Olympic team silver-medalist Alicia Sacramone of Winchester, Mass., are among the 12 women on the U.S. Senior National Team who have accepted invitations to participate in the first of two selection camps for the U.S. Women's Team for the 2010 World Championships, Oct. 17-24, in Rotterdam, Netherlands.

Six gymnasts and one alternate will be named to the U.S. Women's Team for the 2010 World Championships, the first qualifying step for the 2012 London Olympic Games, following the second selection camp.
The World Championships will feature team, all-around and individual event competition. The First Selection Camp is Sept. 13-18, and based on performances at the first selection camp, a minimum of eight gymnasts will be invited to the second and final selection camp Oct. 3-6. Both camps will be held at the U.S. Women's National Team Training Center in Huntsville, Texas.

The gymnasts invited to the first camp, who are also members of the senior national team, are listed below in alphabetical order. Amanda Jetter of Milford, Ohio, successfully petitioned to attend the selection camp after withdrawing from the Visa Championships due to injury, while UCLA's Vanessa Zamarripa of Shiloh, Ill., declined the invitation.
The 12 women are:
Rebecca Bross
Mackenzie Caquatto
Chelsea Davis
Kytra Hunter
Amanda Jetter
Mattie Larson
Alexandra Raisman
Alicia Sacramone
Samantha Shapiro
Morgan Smith
Cassandra Whitcomb

Is it just me or does anyone think that two camps are totally unecessary for selecting a team. It is clear what the girls should do, they should be left to train and then have a short two day camp before worlds. I am sure they kow exactly who will be on the team!

After these camps it will be the last six who can still walk!

Is it just me or does anyone think that two camps are totally unecessary for selecting a team. It is clear what the girls should do, they should be left to train and then have a short two day camp before worlds. I am sure they kow exactly who will be on the team!

After these camps it will be the last six who can still walk!

Totally agree!!! this is how they end up so beat up...

Really disappointed that Zapparitta (sp?) backed out.
My prediction is Bross, Larson, Sacramone, Raisman, Hunter, Sloan (Caquatto as alternate or exchange her with Sloan)
The only reason I think Marta would make Sloan alternate is that she only did one apparatus and didn't have a good showing on it. Mind you she could go to camp and knock it out of the park so who knows.
I picked Caquatto because the Karolyi's like having one little powerhouse on their team and she fits the bill, but she also had an issue with bars which was supposed to be her strongest event (puts her in the same boat as Sloan but Sloan has an Olympic medal and experience to vouch for her).

Last edited:
Sloan is the world champ! She is usually very steady. Her coaches have been quite smart about resting her in preparation for worlds. She will be on the team unless she has a major injury.

Zamarippa's big offering to the World Team would have been her Cheng vault which she nailed on Day 1 of Championships but fell on at Day 2 ....after the fall, I think Marta looked at her differently and Zam looked at it differently and supposedly decided to concentrate on college (which begs the question...so why did you decide to do elite?)

Does anyone know how the selection process works?

So these 12 gymnasts go to the camp, and is that considered their "try out"? Sorry from Canada not sure on the American procedures.

Zamarippa's big offering to the World Team would have been her Cheng vault which she nailed on Day 1 of Championships but fell on at Day 2 ....after the fall, I think Marta looked at her differently and Zam looked at it differently and supposedly decided to concentrate on college (which begs the question...so why did you decide to do elite?)

From what I understand Zam really cares about her education. Going to camp with uneasy chances would really hurt her academically in the semester. Also with uneasy chances at camp, she'd be taking away from her college training which is why she has her scholarship. I think it's good she's doing elite and college. I really think more girls need to realize college is a good option (not just athletically, but academically) and that it is okay to stay in gymnastics past high school. I really think Zam is a great role model. She keeps moving on with life (school and stuff) while at the same time persevering with gymnastics.

Does anyone know how the selection process works?

So these 12 gymnasts go to the camp, and is that considered their "try out"? Sorry from Canada not sure on the American procedures.
I'm pretty sure that this camp narrows it down to the top 8 and then a few weeks later those 8 will have another camp where the team will be decided. It's really a stupid procedure; so many girls get injured or exhausted at these camps. I don't see why the team couldn't have been named after nationals like the men's team. :p

The only reason I think Marta would make Sloan alternate is that she only did one apparatus and didn't have a good showing on it. Mind you she could go to camp and knock it out of the park so who knows.

Need I remind you that Sloan only did one event due to an arm injury, which included a bruise that extended from her shoulder to her elbow. She also still suffered from an ankle sprain. She and her coach both believe that she will be healthy and ready for camps. Don't count her out just yet :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back