WAG Gyms in Los Angeles and Orange County, Ca

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
Hi. We are going to the LA (San Fernando Valley) and Orange County (La Habra) area this Christmas season for two weeks. My daughter is an L9 and we are looking for good gyms that may allow her to practice with them while we are there. I contacted All Olympia and they do allow visitors to practice with them. Their rate is $100 a workout. Pretty steep. I also contacted Precision. I remembered them for when my daughter did TOPS. But they don't have enough staff for visiting gymnasts. Any other recommendations?

I have cousins in Cali and my daughter trained with West Coast Elite while visiting one year. This was especially convenient since my cousin lives only 10 minutes or so from their gym. My daughter was there only 1 day so there was no charge, however for longer stays I believe there is. I thought the program was great and the parents there were very friendly.

San Fernando Valley is a pretty large area so without knowing exactly where you're staying I know of 3 gyms you could consider. Gymnastics Olympica and Paramount Elite are both in Van Nuys and Golden State Gymnastics is in Burbank. While in La Habra, most of the better known clubs like SCATS, Team OC, Gym-Max, etc. would be further south of you. I can't speak to the quality nor the pricing policies of these clubs, but I do know they field competitive teams although I'm not sure what optional levels they train.

Thank you for the recommendations. I'll check their websites and I can figure out their proximity to where we will be. As far as the San Fernando Valley, we will be in the Sherman Oaks/Studio City area. But we will mostly be in Orange County. I've contacted or will contact Wildfire, All Olympia, Precision, Broadway, West Coast Elite, Azarian, Winner, Gym-Max, SCATS, and Team OC. I hope one of these will pan out. Thank you again everyone for your help.

Hickory, I had to check a Gliders location. It is actually 20 miles from where I am going to be, which really puts it among the closest. So, I will contact them. Thank you.

You are welcome. I know they have good coaches, as a friend's DDs train there and love it. It's not as high profile as some of the others, but they do have elite kids.

Your choice is easy, you pick the gym that is close to your location. Unless you like sitting in traffic... I live here, that is my advice and you have some great gyms to pick from.

Just checked a SCEGA. It is over 60 miles. So that is out. But thank you krisnkids. Paramount is in the same area as where my mom lives. But we will only be there for two days. So the closest to where we will be most of the time is Wildfire, SCATS, Gliders, which are all within 20 miles and West Coast, Team OC, Winners and Gym-Max are about 24 miles.

Ok. coachp. Are you familiar with Eric Will Gymnastics? They are 1 mile away from where we will be. But I think they either do not have L9s or L10s or have one in each level. Do you think that is ok? Or should I opt for a little farther, 20 miles, and go to a gym with more gymnasts of my daughter's level?

Reactions: sun
Just checked a SCEGA. It is over 60 miles. So that is out. But thank you krisnkids. Paramount is in the same area as where my mom lives. But we will only be there for two days. So the closest to where we will be most of the time is Wildfire, SCATS, Gliders, which are all within 20 miles and West Coast, Team OC, Winners and Gym-Max are about 24 miles.

Ok. coachp. Are you familiar with Eric Will Gymnastics? They are 1 mile away from where we will be. But I think they either do not have L9s or L10s or have one in each level. Do you think that is ok? Or should I opt for a little farther, 20 miles, and go to a gym with more gymnasts of my daughter's level?
==
I sent U a pm.

Just want to say the gymnastics community as a whole has a lot of kind, helpful generous souls. After reaching out to several gyms, I was amazed at how helpful and willing most of the coaches were. I did not expect to be offered practice with their team free of charge. But we were, by one gym; and they have a great optionals team. I however don't feel right practicing there for about 4-5 days for free. But it certainly was a pleasant surprise.

Is it really that disastrous for a kid to take two weeks off over Christmas? Nearly every gym here shuts, and dd1 has nearly two weeks off too.

When I was a kid two weeks off gym for a family holiday was heaven. Much as I loved gym and really missed it, that time gave me time to rest and recover physically and mentally, and I always got back to gym ready to work harder.

I
Is it really that disastrous for a kid to take two weeks off over Christmas? Nearly every gym here shuts, and dd1 has nearly two weeks off too.

When I was a kid two weeks off gym for a family holiday was heaven. Much as I loved gym and really missed it, that time gave me time to rest and recover physically and mentally, and I always got back to gym ready to work harder.

I think in the compulsory levels, it should not be such a big deal. At L4, we took a 1 month trip to Asia and got back a week before the first meet. She won 1st AA! :-:D. At L5, we went for a 2 1/2week trip to Europe mid season (March). She got 2nd on all her meets (vault was holding her scores down). At L6 and L7 (she did two levels in one year), we again took two weeks Christmas and a week in Feb. She still placed either 1st or 2nd in all her meets. In L8, our gym moved and closed the gym for about three weeks in the summer. My daughter struggled through the first half of the season but had a great end of the season. As an L9, just a couple of weeks ago, my daughter got sick and was away from the gym for a couple days and had to take it easy at practice for a couple more days. When she returned, her skills felt strange. She lost her consistency in some of her skills. She seems back on track. So I am a little concerned about being gone two weeks right before the start of her L9 season. In answer to your question, it can be temporarily disastrous, but they do get back on track. :)

Certainly they can get back on track, but missing two weeks of practice at Christmas is right before the Optional season and that can make a BIG difference in their first month of meets--which is a large portion of their entire season.

Hickory, I had to check a Gliders location. It is actually 20 miles from where I am going to be, which really puts it among the closest. So, I will contact them. Thank you.

Having grown up in CA and in that general area, 20 miles will probably be at least an hour drive or more because of traffic!

When we visited Orange County from Hawai'i, my daughter worked out once at Team OC and she enjoyed it. Great facility and coach.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back