Gyms in the Ft Lewis, WA area?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymgramma

Hi
We are active duty military and will be relocating to the Ft Lewis, Wa area this summer.

Any suggestions, comments, pro/cons of gyms in the Ft Lewis area?

My daughter does preschool gymnastics at the Lakewood YMCA. She has different coaches than the team does. A team gymnast told me once that she likes this program better than one of the other local YMCAs because they give equipment priority at Lakewood to the team rather than rec classes. The team name is Grace Gymnastics. A couple of girls from the Grace Gymnastics team have competed on the University of Washington team over the last 8 years or so. I have a friend whose 12 y/o son trains at the Lakewood YMCA, and they really like it. I haven't looked into other gymnastics programs, but I know there are a lot in the area. Tasha Smith, who now competes at Oregon State University, trained in Auburn, which isn't far from Fort Lewis. Lakewood and Auburn are north of Fort Lewis, but you could also go south to Olympia. I've considered looking at other gyms in the future, so I'd love to hear what you find out and what you decide.

Puget sound gymnastics is also in that same area I think. We are up north so I am not sure about driving distances. Auburn gymnastics is a really good program but it is kinda hard core from what I hear. They have a ton of optionals. They also have one of the only elites in the region. If you have other questions....Just ask!

We compete against Auburn. They do really well both boys and girls. In fact, the boys team is sort of my ds's team's biggest rival. My son's team generally takes first--unless Auburn it there. They do seem to be pretty hardcore as someone said. Parents have a lot of team spirit--sitting next to them at meets can be dangerous to your hearing. Judging from some of the comments I've heard from compulsory team parents, some of them take it too seriously IMHO. One of the things I like about Auburn though is that you'll see all different ages, abilities, and body types on team. And the loud cheering seems to be equally directed at the kids who will finish at the bottom of the page.

Puget Sound was at a meet we attended recently and they looked good too. I've only come accross them this one time though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back