Parents Gyms near Dobbs Ferry NY

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
Does anyone know of competitive gyms close to Dobbs Ferry? My DD is planning to spend 4 months at a boarding school there next year, and I’m beginning the planning phases of that. Part of that planning is finding a gym where she can do regular privates and/or open gyms to keep her toe in gym as she plans to still keep with her team when she comes back. The couple that I found seem recreational or low level compulsory only. Yes, I know it’s unconventional, and I know it’s a long time off team training, but I’m going to try my best to set something up anyway. She went an entire year on only hour long, once a week privates and is still doing ok.

Last edited:
The commute needs to be as minimal as possible. She’ll be relying on public transportation or Uber.. I suppose if it’s not possible at all she could find a CrossFit gym just to keep her strength up. She will be in nyc six days a week, but I’m not sure if she’d be allowed to take an hour off to the side.

Does anyone know of competitive gyms close to Dobbs Ferry? My DD is planning to spend 4 months at a boarding school there next year, and I’m beginning the planning phases of that. Part of that planning is finding a gym where she can do regular privates and/or open gyms to keep her toe in gym as she plans to still keep with her team when she comes back. The couple that I found seem recreational or low level compulsory only. Yes, I know it’s unconventional, and I know it’s a long time off team training, but I’m going to try my best to set something up anyway. She went an entire year on only hour long, once a week privates and is still doing ok.

Is she doing a semester school program? The reason I am asking is because those program tend to be really intense and it might be hard to take the time away from the program to go to gymnastics. My daughter will also attend a semester school, but she will just stay fit while she is there and understand that she may lose a little ground while she is there. But that is OK because of all the other things she will gain from the experience.

Is she doing a semester school program? The reason I am asking is because those program tend to be really intense and it might be hard to take the time away from the program to go to gymnastics. My daughter will also attend a semester school, but she will just stay fit while she is there and understand that she may lose a little ground while she is there. But that is OK because of all the other things she will gain from the experience.
It is a semester school and it is expected to be intense. That’s why she was only looking to fit in a one hour private every week or two- even one a month. She’s had bars issues and is worried of going cold turkey and coming back afraid. She will if she has to, but it doesn’t hurt to look at options.

Side note- I had never heard of a semester school before she was invited to apply. What a cool idea they are!!

If it is only going to be once a week or less, and needs to be a large gym with team gymnastics so she can work bars, maybe she can travel further.

Westchester Gymnastics in Hawthorne has a team it appears. This is the closest one I could find. 15 mins away (drive, according to mapquest. I checked all these on mapquest, non-rush times.)
Chappaqua is about 20 mins away from Dobbs Ferry and I think there is a gym there where John Orozco trained.
White Plains has a YWCA with a team. About the same distance I think.
It looks like Dobbs Ferry HS has a cheerleading team...that is probably no help if she wants to focus on bars.
Galaxy Gymnastics in Orangeburg NY (across the river, so traffic may be a headache over the bridge) about 25 mins.
I know nothing about any of those gyms! But I grew up in the area, and I got curious so I poked around. There certainly may be more and it may be better to go into the city.

Travel by car is going to be far faster than anything else. The parkways around there are for the most part pleasant to drive and fast- well at least they were 20 years ago. There is a train system with various lines that feed into the city, but unless the school and the gym happen to be right on the line she would then have to take a bus or several buses too.
But if she is going into the city, then a train probably makes sense.

Galaxy Gymnastics in Orangeburg NY (across the river, so traffic may be a headache over the bridge) about 25 mins.
I know nothing about any of those gyms! But I grew up in the area, and I got curious so I poked around. There certainly may be more and it may be better to go into the city.

Galaxy is known to be a great gym in NY. We compete against them often and their girls are excellent.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back