WAG Gyms North of Boston

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Clover

Proud Parent
We have a potential move (considering) to the Cambridge, Mass area. We have been told the area North of Boston is nice - one city mentioned with good schools is Middleton. Any gym recommendations for a relatively talented, young optional girl interested in (dreaming of) one day doing college gym in the area?

We want to consider all aspects (including gymnastics) prior to making a decision.

Thanks!

Breystan's would be the obvious one. I'm originally from MA and when my dd was in gymnastics, she did some training there when we would visit. It's definitely great coaching. My dd found the kids to be pretty competitive among themselves. I think in general though, people in the Boston area are more competitive and type A than what she's used to growing up on the west coast. So I'd take her opinion on that with a grain of salt.

Middleton is pretty far out. Personally, if I was working in Cambridge, I think I'd be looking at Arlington, maybe Lexington and Burlington. I know housing prices are so high in the Boston area that it can drive you further out though.

We have 3 girls at our gym that have moved from Brestyan's due to poor coaching (mean, yelling, too many kids in a group). They have a huge team and it is obviously great for some and can get you to a high level but just check it out to make sure it is for you.

Yes, Brestyan's is the obvious choice north of Boston. It's the only gym that produces elites, as far as I know. Their lower level groups are pretty big, I wouldn't go there for level 1-3, but I heard their optional levels are very good.

If you do decide on Middleton, there is a gym there called Yellow Jackets. I don't have any personal experience with them, but their team seems to be pretty strong. But, as was said, it's not too close to Cambridge, and if that's where the job is, the commute is not going to be pleasant.

Closer to Cambridge, I would suggest MGC Waltham Masstars.

We have 3 girls at our gym that have moved from Brestyan's due to poor coaching (mean, yelling, too many kids in a group). They have a huge team and it is obviously great for some and can get you to a high level but just check it out to make sure it is for you.

The issue with Brestyan's is that in the last few Olympic cycles, Mihai is gone out of the gym for weeks at a time to the ( pick one) Ranch/ Classics/Visas/Worlds/Pan Ams and of course, the Olympics...and he doesn't have a stable of competent upper level coaches to replace him when he's gone...or when he's back, because he basically coaches Aly (which is fine, but don't go there thinking you're having him as a coach).

The system there is very eastern European... not a lot of warm fuzzies for sure, even from his US coaches. They do have a large team but many of his optional gymnasts come to him as level 8 and above...so they haven't taken the years of Brestyan pounding their whole careers.

If you are moving to the Cambridge area, I agree that MGC would be a reasonable option. Housing prices will be pretty high in Cambridge but they're no picnic in Lexington or Burlington either. As the crow flies, the distance between Cambridge and Middleton is about 20 miles but the traffic is horrendous so bank on it....

Yellow Jackets has a really long history. It's owned by Corrie Lothrop's parents. Interestingly, they had enough humility to know that they're not elite coaches and sent her to Hill's when they figured out she had Olympic aspirations. When I was a kid doing gymnastics in MA, yellow jackets was a stong team. That was thirty years ago.

Yellow Jackets has a really long history. It's owned by Corrie Lothrop's parents. Interestingly, they had enough humility to know that they're not elite coaches and sent her to Hill's when they figured out she had Olympic aspirations. When I was a kid doing gymnastics in MA, yellow jackets was a stong team. That was thirty years ago.

The Lothrops actually sold YJ a few years ago to Peter Korman(former Olympic gymnast); his 2 sons were coaching as well ( but Tim passed away last year) and there's been a lot of flux there. They have had a smattering of decent upper level gymnasts but their team isn't as strong as in year's past. Put it this way, if I was living in Cambridge, I'd go to MGC over YJ .

I too would say Breystans. MGC waltham has a girl that has trained there for years and I believe is hoping for the olpympics since she has dual citizenship here and somewhere else - for the life of me I can't remember but I know our gym sent out a blurb about it. I will see if I can find it. We are south of the city so no help there, but if you are commuting to Cambridge you want to be close - Belmont, Arlington, Waltham, Burlington.

ETA found it - http://www.flogymnastics.com/articl...reamer-26-and-still-going-strong#.ViKTADf3anM

Houry Gebeshian is the gymnast you are referring to....she competed for university of Iowa ,graduated from there and I believe is a PA, and decided her gymnastics career wasn't over...she has competed for Armenia at Worlds in 2011 and this year , and scored well enough to qualify to the test event for Rio. She even competed level 10 last year at a few meets with MGC ( which seemed a little odd)...

You guys are awesome! We actually are not set on the North Boston area. I know nothing at all about the area, and we would be coming from across the country. Someone I talked to who used to live there suggested North Boston. However, I am just looking for good schools, not terrible commute for DH to Cambridge, reasonable housing costs (if possible), and a gym for DD.

City-data .com is a great resource if you are relocating. In the Boston area it all comes down to budget, schools, and how long of a commute one is willing to put up with.

You guys are awesome! We actually are not set on the North Boston area. I know nothing at all about the area, and we would be coming from across the country. Someone I talked to who used to live there suggested North Boston. However, I am just looking for good schools, not terrible commute for DH to Cambridge, reasonable housing costs (if possible), and a gym for DD.

Ok well, these two are mutually exclusive ....the only place you will get a "not terrible commute" to Cambridge ( and it depends where he is working in Cambridge...is it on a T line?) is living in Cambridge basically; which of course leaves you with the high housing costs...on the plus side, he wouldn't be stuck in traffic for hours a day.

Totally different world then where we currently are. DH says he is willing to commute, but it is something that he hasn't had to worry about for the last 10 years or so.....

Schools and housing are a higher priority than commute time. It would be different if we didn't have school age kids.

Thanks again, everyone!

Totally different world then where we currently are. DH says he is willing to commute, but it is something that he hasn't had to worry about for the last 10 years or so.....

Schools and housing are a higher priority than commute time. It would be different if we didn't have school age kids.

Thanks again, everyone!

If you are not stuck on north of BOston, I would look at Belmont, Needham, Wellsley, Acton, Concord, although housing there can be pretty high. All of them have great schools though. If you go south there is a boat in Hingham that takes you into Boston and then he could get on the T to get to Cambridge.

I'd look at Bedford too. Watertown would give you an easy commute to Cambridge, but the schools probably aren't up to par. Would you consider private school? I grew up in Newton and went to a private high school in Cambridge.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back