Gyms profiting off team and required parent involvement? Business discussion

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I can not see any gym not allowing her to do your family’s hours.

Our gym does NOT allow gymnasts to do any of the volunteer hours. In fact, only people over the age of 18 can do them. I have a teenager that is no longer a gymmie, and she is not allowed to help with the hours. Our gym implemented this because there was a family that refused to volunteer. They felt that they paid enough money and that should be sufficient. Their level 9 dd had to fulfill all their hours, maintain her training schedule, get adequate rest/relaxation prior to meets, compete at the meets, and complete her schoolwork. On home meet weekends she was tired and stressed.
IMO, competitive gymnasts at the optional level should have 3 priorities: school, training, and staying healthy through sleep, diet and down time. Families NEED to comprehend that this sport requires the sacrifice and commitment of the ENTIRE family. This is not a good fit for most families, but for those that are willing and able to make it work, the life lessons are unsurpassed. At first I was a bit irritated that the booster club would not allow my non-gym dd to work some volunteer hours, but making a blanket rule makes perfect sense. My non-gym dd DOES still help, usually with set-up prior to meets, but the hours are not counted. She does this as a way to shoe her sister that she cares about her sport, just as my gymmie helps out with baking the required goodies for my older dd's home roller derby bouts.

I have absolutely no interest in getting in the middle of this but when I was reading, I found it highly amusing that the OP's time was so valuable that he couldn't give up a few hours of it to support his daughter and her team but had plenty of time to post here and even to scour old posts in order to call out another member on his/her replies. It really did amuse me!

And before anyone chimes in, both my husband and I have master degrees and careers in demanding and stressful fields, but we make the time to volunteer for our children and their team.

I just did the math on the hourly rate of gymnastics for my dd. I am not counting meet fees or anything like that because that money is going to a completely separate thing. Anyway, based on the number of hours my dd goes and the monthly tuition - we pay $5.83 per hour for her to take gymnastics. This is HALF any other activity I have ever signed my kids up for. I have done the math many times over the years and gymnastics is always our best bet if you go by the hourly rate. it is just that she goes a lot of hours LOL, so it ends up being more expensive than other sports for my other kids.

Well..I was away all weekend when this hit the fan!! and happily so!

We're in a gym now with no booster club, no hosted meets and no required volunteering time ...and the fees are LESS than when we were in a booster club gym...they do have a huge rec program so maybe that's the key..

Gyms profiting off team? HAHAHAHHAAHH. I remember doing Profit&Loss statements for team. It's discouraging. I'm sure some gyms might be able to hit 50-50 or 60 or 70 (50 to gym, 50 to coaching costs, etc) but it's hard at smaller gyms. Team technically makes far less margin than rec. However, team is what keep the rec kids and parents there. It gives a lofty goal of maybe competing one day or having a competent gym. I really hope no gym out there is trying to survive on 6$/sq. ft. Hopefully, that's just a joke. It's not even that expensive in the SF Bay area. Y'all need to fundraise more. Candy, candles, car-washes, firework stands, crab feeds. Meets can be decent cash-cows for a booster club but need a lot of bodies to make happen (besides whatever donations can be scrapped up for hospitality and the snack stand). At one gym, we did allow the kids to come in lieu of their parents. Sometimes, it was siblings and they would end up cleaning mirrors or stuff like that. Always felt bad for them, but it sorta works. For home meets, we often have gymnasts or kids work the raffles or snack stands or do miscellaneous tasks like help line up younger gymnasts (if they are older) or help judges (typically if they are older) or help pass out medals during awards.

UNREAL some of the roepsones. I AM NOT THE OP OF THIS THREAD!!!!!! THIS THREAD WAS HEAR BEFORE ME!!!! This is why I shake my head. People were voicing there gyms policy on in house meets with displeasure.. I just added my view of the situation because i felt the same way as the OP!! But because I was adamant about my position & backing it up this post turned into what it did.

I am in the computer industry, not JEANS> I manufacture, sell, repair, servers, mainframes, networks modems router & any computer related products.. I also set up networks for office & home, some colledges, & elementary schools & maintain some hospitals & nursing homes machines.. I am on call 24 /7. I am not the average 9-5 m-f business geek. I have clients over the entire united states as well as over seas. Skype / video conferencing/take over programs has enabled me to extend my reach globally.. I have my main business then my personal. If a client calls which thankfully I have too many to handle they need thing done ASAP. I am contantley traveling, conventions, seminars etc. My company has donated & volunteered many hours & equipment to less privaledged families, schools etc. I do get a tax write off for it but that is not the reason we do it. Volunteering is not & never was the argument.

Looking up on this site takes 2 seconds, My posting on this site is done on my travel/ down etc. time,which does not coincide with meets at my gym. So if you found that humerous I am glad it made your day:)..
At this moment I am on a plane heading to the west coast so I have " Time" to do what i want on computer. I admit it has been a lot on this topic but I could not believe the responses. Some do not even take the time to read them. If you just took the time to read from the beginning, from the OP who had a sudden change of heart on this topic all of my post's would make clear sense. To make a comment without reading all post's on the subject is irresponsible on your part. You are not adding anything constructive to the post.

I have apolgized for any comments i made that sounded like I was putting anyone down because it was not my intention. I simply was making an observation based on repsonses I was getting. I still stand by my words but I apologized if I offended anyone.

It does not matter what is said..Gymnastics is a business. Profitable or not it doesn't matter. If it is your calling to work with kids great it still is a business that you make a living with. Other people started with all the money & help a gym needs to stay open not me. I simply REPLIED to a post that I agreed with about beign told to work a meet or pay money.
Doing for my daughter or other kids is not the point, she agree's with me & it is her gym! If you read my post's i stated what my gym has become a give me give me gym.. NOTHING IS DONE FOR THE KIDS by the owners. Its pay me pay me pay me!! THIS IS ALL STATED IN MY POST"S IF YOU READ THEM!
I will never agree with this "CHOICE" that most here do.. It is not my business. You need a little help with something for the kids I understand. Having to work for your in house meet & purchase things for the gym to sell, clean bathrooms,& all for nothing in return I will not. So we can end this hear, much respect to all

I AM NOT THE OP OF THIS THREAD!!!!!! THIS THREAD WAS HEAR BEFORE ME!!!!

I admit it has been a lot on this topic but I could not believe the responses. Some do not even take the time to read them. If you just took the time to read from the beginning, from the OP who had a sudden change of heart on this topic all of my post's would make clear sense. To make a comment without reading all post's on the subject is irresponsible on your part. You are not adding anything constructive to the post.

If you look back the mods have now moved this discussion to a new thread since you hijacked the old post which had a warning. Perhaps you should read all posts carefully yourself. The OP of that thread is no longer on this forum. If you needed to vent you should have started your own thread, now it has been done for you.

If you look back the mods have now moved this discussion to a new thread since you hijacked the old post which had a warning. Perhaps you should read all posts carefully yourself. The OP of that thread is no longer on this forum. If you needed to vent you should have started your own thread, now it has been done for you.

Sorry, So now I am a hijacker, Pinapple hijacking a thread is asking a question about yourself in a thread that has nothing to do with the OP comments.. That is not what I did.:confused: (unreal).. I did look back Pineapple that is how I found the thread again.
Just because a thread is old does not mean it is closed. So a warning is put up. Does that mean you are not allowed to give your opinion on the OP comment if you agree with then???? Or if the exact same issue they were having just came up at your gym?????

Close the post. Allow no more comments. So what if the person is no longer on this site. Other people have posted on the thread that are still on here. For a MOD to change the title of a thread into their own words is not proper IMHO.
I posted in regards to "In House Meets" the OP was questioning the practicies of their gym in regards to holding them & what is done with the money & what a parent is required to do. I simply added my agreement to it & expanded on the ISSUE... The idea was still the same..
The OP labeled the thread "In House Meets" but the content was about what the gyms require of parents & what is done with the money & how they DISAGREE with it! You added nothing constructive!

I am going to nap it's 6 am here been up all night have a meeting in 4 hrs.. much respect

Sorry, So now I am a hijacker, Pinapple hijacking a thread is asking a question about yourself in a thread that has nothing to do with the OP comments.. That is not what I did.:confused: (unreal).. I did look back Pineapple that is how I found the thread again.
Just because a thread is old does not mean it is closed. So a warning is put up. Does that mean you are not allowed to give your opinion on the OP comment if you agree with then???? Or if the exact same issue they were having just came up at your gym?????

Close the post. Allow no more comments. So what if the person is no longer on this site. Other people have posted on the thread that are still on here. For a MOD to change the title of a thread into their own words is not proper IMHO.
I posted in regards to "In House Meets" the OP was questioning the practicies of their gym in regards to holding them & what is done with the money & what a parent is required to do. I simply added my agreement to it & expanded on the ISSUE... The idea was still the same..
The OP labeled the thread "In House Meets" but the content was about what the gyms require of parents & what is done with the money & how they DISAGREE with it! You added nothing constructive!

I am going to nap it's 6 am here been up all night have a meeting in 4 hrs.. much respect

I even made a comment before that I made this a new thread. The discussion is now the business of gyms in regards to team and having parents participate. The thread warning says if a thread is 90 days old consider making a new thread if you have something to add. Particularly because that thread was in the question and answer part of the forum.

:mod hat off: I'm just shocked the way you keep putting yourself on a pedestal of superiority and complaining about everyone's response here. You keep saying you're above responding but keep coming on and nitpicking the tiny details. You're acting like a teenager.

:mod hat on: I will close this thread. Not because you asked. Not because the responses are "adding nothing". Any reasonable unbiased person could see people are trying to add legitimate comments. I'm closing because you keep rushing back to respond and are adding nothing. (unless the other mods decide otherwise)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back