WAG Hair color deductions?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymPara

Gymnast
I am curious would there be any kind of a deduction if a gymnast were to add highlights such as red or blue to her normal hair color?

Not that I know of. I have girls with streaks, it has never been a deduction. Honestly when it is up you can barely tell.

As a gymnast I have always been told that any non-natural hair color is a deduction. We were always told that it was a distraction to the judges, like nail polish. I am interested to see if there is any truth to this, and if so what amount of deduction.

As a gymnast I have always been told that any non-natural hair color is a deduction. We were always told that it was a distraction to the judges, like nail polish. I am interested to see if there is any truth to this, and if so what amount of deduction.

Supposedly (based on a what I have been told in the past) - nail polish is not a deduction for 'distracting the judges' it is a matter of safety for the athletes.

Paramedics in case of emergency (the athlete is knocked un conscious) will squeeze the tip of the finger/nail (to turn it white) & see if blood flow will return to their extremities (becomes pink after the pressure is released). They cannot run this test if there is polish on the athletes nails.

Anyone able to confirm this? - cause i hardly think well manicured/pedicured nails are a 'distraction' - if anything it helps with the grossness that is gymnasts callused hands and feet LOL

Supposedly (based on a what I have been told in the past) - nail polish is not a deduction for 'distracting the judges' it is a matter of safety for the athletes.

Paramedics in case of emergency (the athlete is knocked un conscious) will squeeze the tip of the finger/nail (to turn it white) & see if blood flow will return to their extremities (becomes pink after the pressure is released). They cannot run this test if there is polish on the athletes nails.

Anyone able to confirm this? - cause i hardly think well manicured/pedicured nails are a 'distraction' - if anything it helps with the grossness that is gymnasts callused hands and feet LOL

Paramedics, nurses, doctors, ect. can check capillary refill in other ways if there is nail polish. Sometimes pulse oximeters will have a hard time picking up readings if someone has nail polish.

In USAG JO/Xcel competitions:

No deductions for hair color. The only hair deduction is for a hairstyle which could get in the eyes which is not corrected after a warning by a judge & that is for safety reasons.

No deductions for nail polish of any color. This is usually a coach/gym preference as contrasting or bright nail polish can make what the hands/feet are doing stand out more, for better or for worse. In other words, if your gymnast has flexed feet, you might not want neon green glitter toenails shining like beacons. The judge will probably notice anyway, but no need to call more attention to it.

Honestly, if hair or nail color was that distracting, how would I ever make it through judging a meet with gasps/cheers, constantly changing (really loud) music, occasional camera flashes (oops), teammates dancing along or warming up in the background, and rhinestones glittering everywhere as girls shuffle around.

My friend who is a judge says having bright nail varnish will naturally catch the eye and makes non pointed toes etc more noticeable. So whilst it’s not a deduction any errors are more noticeable and more likely to get deductions (not saying they won’t get deducted if not wearing nail varnish)

I am curious would there be any kind of a deduction if a gymnast were to add highlights such as red or blue to her normal hair color?

There is NO deduction for HAIR COLOR.. or NAILs either. My kid has never competed without a full head of color .. I am talking REALLY bright whole head died. The gym owner doesnt like it but times are changing.

Attachments

• 25628.JPG
    25628.JPG
    561.8 KB · Views: 180

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back