Parents Hair question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

When your team goes to meets, do they have a "team style" that everyone goes with, or is it everyone for themselves. Is there something they put in their hair, or do they just have a scrunchie that matches the leo?

I have thoughts about this and our gym, but will get feedback before I share.

Snowbound

Coach likes for our girls to wear neat buns with our matching scrunchis. Once in a while when my DD competes alone (she is the only level 8) , Coach will let her wear a pony-tail , as long as it isn't long enough to flip in front of her eyes while tumbling. I rarely see a team where every girl has the same style. Usually there are some elaborate braids, and lots of buns.

At our gym the're all on their own. Must be neat and off the face and they can use the scrunchie that came with the leo or ribbons - but they have to have something in their hair. The girls tend to share glitter for their hair. I see some teams march in with those curls! Thank Goodness I don't have to try to pull THAT off! I usually have a friend come and french braid

Last edited:
Our girls wear the scrunchie that comes with the leo. Hairstyle is basically up to the girl as long as its neat and pulled back from the face. Hairclips can be in colors that match the leo if desired. Buns don't seem to be very popular around here---more curled or braided ponies.

Hair has to be neat and off the face, but we see lots of different styles, the girls have a scrunchie, or even two, that they can wear but don't have to. little ones love the sparkles and fancier styles, the older girls seem to stick with the pony tail.

Our gym is pretty much wear your hair any way as long as it is off the face and long ponytails must be braided or put in a bun--so I guess you really can't wear it ANY WAY you want LOL. And most girls wear the scrunchie that came with the leo.

Our hair policy has become somewhat stricter since we had a hair incident at our first meet. DD's teammate has very long hair so she wore it in a ponytail off her face, but when she finished her handstand, her hair came in front of her face and she brushed it out of the way. UH OH--3 tenths of a deduction there...so now she always wears her hair in a braid!!!!

my little sister's at the stage where she now cares far too much about what she looks like (she's 11!) :eek::p
so the girls on her team always discuss how they're going to style their hair for each meet, so they can all match, and they have the matching scrunchie (which just like I used to, my sister hates and thinks it makes her look like a 5 year old!) honestly I was always just a ponytail and kirby grips girl-none of this elaborate plaiting and curling!

Funny you ask that! I was just thinking earlier today about whether anyone ever asks about hair!
Our head coach requires a particular hair style - pulled into a ponytail and then curled into tight ringlets!!
Now, mind you, we have many variations that show up on the girls. What with different hair types and lengths, everyone's turn out different! Some, like my daughter's, turn out tight, and others, not so much!
I do love the way it looks on the girls, and the coach wants it because it looks really nice and she always receives compliments about it from other coaches and parents.
However, most of the girls hate it because they either have to sleep in curlers or get up extra early for a morning competition to curl it with an iron.
It is a royal pain, and for my daughter, anywhere from a 1-2 hour ordeal, depending on the weather and how her hair is behaving at the time!
On the lighter side, we've gotten a lot of funny pic's as we catch her hair in mid-flight during a skill!!

Our coaches require buns, but most of the girls really do not like them. A couple have gotten their hair cut short mid season so that they do not have to wear buns. My DD doesn't really mind it. I have gotten better at doing it as the season has gone on.

Our gym requires buns, and bun covers. The girls can do anything into the bun (slick it, braid it, spiderweb it) as long as it's in a bun if the hair is long enough to do so. If not long enough for a bun, as long as it's pulled back as much as can be. Younger girls don't mind the buns, but the optionals hate it. It does make them look like a total package team though I think. Our owner is also a judge and insists that the total package team makes a difference. IDK if that's true or not.

Neat and put up out of the face.... and that's it. Most add the scrunchies that match; some go with glitter (usually the younger ones). There are SO many different styles and cuts on our girls I can't imagine one particular hairstyle working for everyone!!

Dd's coaches rule is hair must be out of the face and off the shoulders.
Mine hates elaborate styles and has hair about half way down her back. We tend to braid and loop. Turns out nice with scrunchie and matching clips.

Okay, so here is my reason for asking. We were trying to get a little "uniformity" for our state meet, so one of the moms emailed every one and asked if they could all do two french braids. I was on board with that since that's how I do my DD's for meets anyway.

Then a mom (from another level) made these little scrunchies, they aren't like the regular kind, they had strips of cloth about 4 inches long sticking out all over. She told everyone that the head coach really liked them, and made one for everyone in our level (weird) She used a regular hair band to make them, and apparently you couldn't wind them around more than once.

We had just come back from a meet where one team had something similar in their hair (maybe where she got the idea) but we had commented that it looked "messy" because all the little pieces move with every wobble of the head. We thought they were more of a distraction than a "package" (I love the way buns look BTW, although I don't know that I could coax my DD's hair into one).

So this mom (did I say she was kind of pushy?) sort of led a lot of people to believe that they HAD to use these scrunchies. I saw the fine print that said "optional" and didn't get one (DD didn't like them anyway, said they were cutsie, and might work for parades, but not for a serious meet...she's so practical for 8) only 3 girls of the 13 girl team didn't wear them.

We kind of laughed because several people experienced "scrunchie failure" as the thing popped off during floor or bars (is that a deduction, or just a distraction?)

The only people on our team who won gold medals didn't wear them. I wish we could get everyone on board with a "team" hair style, but I doubt that will ever happen. It does look good (as long as it isn't something outlandish...we have seen one team that has their hair done in two buns with 2 scrunchies around each side. It looks a little "Princess Leia" My apologies if any of your kids go to that gym)

I was just curious what they do about hair at other gyms,

Snowbound

We don't have a rule but sometimes mums get together and do the same for fun. When ours do their first grade in Uk at 7 we encourage them to have cats ears (the princess leia thing you mention but without the scrunchy on top just plain). This is because they do a roll thing on beam (bun/ pony no good) and a push up to bridge from lying (bunches / french braids no good). We have found it works best for the little ones. My dd likes cats ears as nothing flops around her neck. I think it is really cute. Most girls go onto french braids as they get older and end up with pony tails as teens.
I like the idea of team hair. One club I see has a couple of mums do all the french braids so they all look uniform. Very smart.

Did someone mention there is a 0.3 deduction for hair fiddling (like knicker hoiking I suppose). That is quite a big deduction.

Our coach requires buns and for the past two years we also had bun covers that match the leotard and a matching scrunchie. The bun covers are a real life saver since one can make a bun even with relatively short hair and it doesn't really matter if the hair sticks out of the bun since you can't see it....:) The team does look nice and uniformy this way.

My littlest loves the two bun thing, she has a HS forward roll in her routine and a back drop in her tramp routine and she hates ponytails that stick in the back of her head.

She wears two scrunchies, we call it the "antlers".

The whole team hair scrunchie would've made me die laughing, it is just divine justice that the girls who didn't wear them placed!

Funny you ask that! I was just thinking earlier today about whether anyone ever asks about hair!
Our head coach requires a particular hair style - pulled into a ponytail and then curled into tight ringlets!!
Now, mind you, we have many variations that show up on the girls. What with different hair types and lengths, everyone's turn out different! Some, like my daughter's, turn out tight, and others, not so much!
I do love the way it looks on the girls, and the coach wants it because it looks really nice and she always receives compliments about it from other coaches and parents.
However, most of the girls hate it because they either have to sleep in curlers or get up extra early for a morning competition to curl it with an iron.
It is a royal pain, and for my daughter, anywhere from a 1-2 hour ordeal, depending on the weather and how her hair is behaving at the time!
On the lighter side, we've gotten a lot of funny pic's as we catch her hair in
mid-flight during a skill!!

Ok, I could do the ringlets w/younger DD, hers are natural. Older DD would never sit still that long.

Okay, so here is my reason for asking. We were trying to get a little "uniformity" for our state meet, so one of the moms emailed every one and asked if they could all do two french braids. I was on board with that since that's how I do my DD's for meets anyway.

Then a mom (from another level) made these little scrunchies, they aren't like the regular kind, they had strips of cloth about 4 inches long sticking out all over. She told everyone that the head coach really liked them, and made one for everyone in our level (weird) She used a regular hair band to make them, and apparently you couldn't wind them around more than once.

We had just come back from a meet where one team had something similar in their hair (maybe where she got the idea) but we had commented that it looked "messy" because all the little pieces move with every wobble of the head. We thought they were more of a distraction than a "package" (I love the way buns look BTW, although I don't know that I could coax my DD's hair into one).

So this mom (did I say she was kind of pushy?) sort of led a lot of people to believe that they HAD to use these scrunchies. I saw the fine print that said "optional" and didn't get one (DD didn't like them anyway, said they were cutsie, and might work for parades, but not for a serious meet...she's so practical for 8) only 3 girls of the 13 girl team didn't wear them.

We kind of laughed because several people experienced "scrunchie failure" as the thing popped off during floor or bars (is that a deduction, or just a distraction?)

The only people on our team who won gold medals didn't wear them. I wish we could get everyone on board with a "team" hair style, but I doubt that will ever happen. It does look good (as long as it isn't something outlandish...we have seen one team that has their hair done in two buns with 2 scrunchies around each side. It looks a little "Princess Leia" My apologies if any of your kids go to that gym)

I was just curious what they do about hair at other gyms,

Snowbound
A mom at our gym made our girls those wraps with all the pieces sticking out too. The younger girls like them but the older girls hate them. So as much as my daughter doesn't like to compete alone (she's the only level 8) it does allow her to choose her hair accessories, and she likes to wear simple black velvet scrunchies. They look very elegant and grown-up. Those other things can look a little wild!

Our coach requires buns and for the past two years we also had bun covers that match the leotard and a matching scrunchie. The bun covers are a real life saver since one can make a bun even with relatively short hair and it doesn't really matter if the hair sticks out of the bun since you can't see it....:) The team does look nice and uniformy this way.

I have seen those bun covers. Where do you find them? I use the"little old lady" hair nets to keep buns in place, then a scrunchi.

Honestly, I have no idea where the bun covers come from....The gym orders them for everyone. I will ask around and let you know. They do have rhinestones and match the leotard so maybe they come from the same company....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back