WAG Hair Ribbon deduction...?!?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

and if i hear 1 more judge make a comment about a little kid and their underwear sticking out...well...i just might wear a pair of my own underwear over my head at the next meet.:)

Please.....PLEASE send me your gym's meet schedule. THIS I've gotta see!

OMG this, seriously! The leotards are cut SO high these days it's IMPOSSIBLE to keep the panties in. We've tried every brand I know of (Motionwear, Dreamlights, GK, Random Dance Brand I am forgetting...). My only other option is to send her out there in a thong and they don't make those for a 21" waist because an eleven year old shouldn't have to worry about freaking panty lines.

My kid's a commando! Probably has something to do with how quickly she changes after awards.....

I love to do my daughter's hair (level 5) and I like to get creative with it. however, I do wonder sometimes if it affects the scores. Maybe I'll stick with scrunchies after this thread!

I love to do Bella's hair too! We pick out hairstyles for each meet. Then she wanted her hair cut so I've had to scramble to find new hairstyles for the new length.I

've never worried about hair and deductions. Meet hair is a special time that I get to spend with Bella and it is our litle pre-meet ritual. We giggle and she shares her excitement and/or goals for the meet. I'll take a tenth here and there to keep that.

But I honestly don't think the styles affect scores. I really do like gymnastics but I swear I spend more time at the meets looking at the hairstyles and beautiful leos than I do anything else (except for our team, of course!)

OMG this, seriously! The leotards are cut SO high these days it's IMPOSSIBLE to keep the panties in. We've tried every brand I know of (Motionwear, Dreamlights, GK, Random Dance Brand I am forgetting...). My only other option is to send her out there in a thong and they don't make those for a 21" waist because an eleven year old shouldn't have to worry about freaking panty lines.

Have you tried a full-piece undersuit?

Clearly, no judges are competent, and they all spend their time worrying about kids' underwear and hair ribbons. Love broad generalizations.

now that's snarky!:) lol. incorrect characterization of my post. about 40 of them are more than competent. and the rest of what you said is about right.:)

I think another plausible situation looks like... Coach thinks to self: I hate these dangling ribbons. How can I make them go away? Oh! Blame the judges! Then I won't look like the bad person!

Snarky comments about judges are really obnoxious. This is a reason why parents whine so much about scores.

Lol I wouldn't doubt the coach blaming the judges. But as to the second part - we parents see enough weird - 'what were you thinking' - judging to 'whine' about them ourselves. The coaches just confirm our puzzlement.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

I could see a coach blaming it on the judges, especially a male coach that is fed up with all the ribbon fixing and hair re-doing at meets. I can't really see why a judge would take off for that. Even in HS gymnastics where things like glitter are unequivocally not allowed they are okay with hair ribbons, and some teams have some pretty elaborate ones. I wish my team wore cute ribbons, but the HC isn't into that kind of thing.

What is a yurchenko safety zone mat and how is it different from a handmat if they both go on the runway - or is a safety zone mat the one that goes round the back of the springboard that is shaped like a U?

Yes - the u-shaped mat around the back of the vault. Our girls don't use it for lower levels but I have seen many gyms use them below level 8.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

I love to do Bella's hair too! We pick out hairstyles for each meet. Then she wanted her hair cut so I've had to scramble to find new hairstyles for the new length.I

've never worried about hair and deductions. Meet hair is a special time that I get to spend with Bella and it is our litle pre-meet ritual. We giggle and she shares her excitement and/or goals for the meet. I'll take a tenth here and there to keep that.

But I honestly don't think the styles affect scores. I really do like gymnastics but I swear I spend more time at the meets looking at the hairstyles and beautiful leos than I do anything else (except for our team, of course!)

That has never been a special time for us. I am not good with hair and my DD has a very sensitive head. It was more of a scream and battle fest than giggles and excitement. Now she does it herself! Thank heavens! It is much more peaceful this way!!

That has never been a special time for us. I am not good with hair and my DD has a very sensitive head. It was more of a scream and battle fest than giggles and excitement. Now she does it herself! Thank heavens! It is much more peaceful this way!!

Our frequent travel family contains a gymmie who will NOT let her mom do anything with her hair except a ponytail.....unless I'm there. Then she'll let me do fancy braids and different styles. Her mom just sits there shaking her head!

We have a girl who has worn a ribbon at every meet this year and has had the judges COMPLIMENT her for it...not deduct her for it...

We are a "ribbon" team, lol. Coach LOVES ribbons. Never heard of this being a problem until our last meet, when pretty much the entire L9 team lost theirs during one event or other..... DD lost hers during beam warmup. Need to find a better way to keep them in. No deduction that I'm aware of, just a bunch of messy hair! :D

I am hopeless with hair too! I usually just slick it down with ultra gel and stick it in a ponytail - our gym does not have a hair requirement or team ribbon. But I got fancy at the last meet and put the ponytail in a braid instead of just leaving the tail part loose - it looked neater, and as long as DD wants her hair to stay long I might do that from now on. Don't ask me to French braid though - that's pushing it! :)

You should see how I mess up my other DD's bun every time she has a ballet exam - thank goodness her teacher can fix it before she goes in!

No deductions here as far I know. DD has her ribbons weaved into her braids. She always gets lots of positive comments from other girls and the judges. I don't do it myself though. I take her to our hairdresser. I am lucky to get a ponytail straight ! ddhairribbons.jpg

There are competent judges and there are incompetent judges. Just like there are competent coaches and incompetent coaches. I could write a book about all the crazy things the judge sitting next to me has said, done or made someone else do during a meet. But I've also had the privilege of sitting with some amazing people who are very dedicated to our sport.

I have seen a bit more "crazy" judging things happening over the past few years...not sure why...but there are people in my area having a harder time grasping new rules (hand placement mat is a great example) or keeping up with the changes (xcel). I have a feeling with the testing cycle happening this summer we are going to have a lot of retirements, which will allow a whole range of younger judges a chance to get more meets and more experience.

To the OPs question: I have never taken a deduction for a hair ribbon. I have had a judge try to take a deduction for a clothe headband...which isn't a deduction. Luckily she had a really good support judge who told her she was wrong ;)

and let's hope that ^^^the younger generation coming in are ALL former gymnasts! come on girls...finish college and your competitive careers and get back out on the floor to judge!!:)

I have never heard of a ribbon deduction. But if it was a distraction to the judges..how is it the kids fault that they (the judges) have ADD? Have you guys figured out how to keep them from "distracting" the judges for the next meet?

And I agree..there are good judges and bad judges.
At one meet, a judge told my DD how pretty her hair was. My DD then proceeded to tell the judge it was a "wig" (it's a little hair piece) and takes it off and shows her how her hair is done. "Just pull it back in a pony tail, braid it and put it in a bun..then put the hair piece around it and push the combs in...that's all there is too it" LOL. The judge sat there and listened and smiled until she was done.
At the same meet, one of our older (still not a teen but tween) girls was just having a heck of a time on an event. An even she normally breezes right through. Just a bad day.. She probably had to start again 3 or 4 times. The last time she fell one of the judges leaned over to the other judge and made a comment that was heard by both the coach and sadly the gymnast about how "pathetic" her routine was. That was it..she was devastated.

Really in region 8 I can imagine judges giving deductions because the athlete doesn't have a big ol bow! ;)

Not sure where Region 8 is (Sorry!) but really, they all wear big bows?!

I was actually going to suggest to the poster that you make your girls hair ties with ribbon.

Our girls have about eight 10" pieces of ribbon (3 or 4 diff colors, I forget) that coordinate with thier leos. We looped each piece individually around the hair tie and they look great. The ribbon is long enough that it looks good but not long enough as to get caught anywhere.

Just a thought.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back